Precautions while using CNG
CNG Vehicle Safety Precautions
The following safety precautions should be
considered at all times when operating natural
gas fuel systems and equipment
1. A portable fire extinguisher must be installed
on the vehicle in an easily accessible location.
2. Do not start the engine if a natural gas leak is
3. Never attempt to open system components
that are under pressure.
4. System pressure must not exceed 3000 psi
for public vehicles in Canada.
5. For all other vehicles the system pressure
must not exceed 3600 psi i.e. Private captive
6. Do not smoke or produce an open flame
within 30 feet of a CNG vehicle or a CNG
dispensing filling station.
7. Always ground a vehicle prior to defueling.
8. If a CNG vehicle must be out of service for an
extended period of time, turn cylinder valves to
the OFF CLOSED position and run the engine
until it stalls. This will consume the residual fuel
in the closed off lines.