15. Informal, decamp, Inf. vamoose, Inf. split, Inf. take off, Sl. cut out, abscond.
16. cut across transcend, go beyond, rise above.
17. cut in interpose, interrupt, Sl. butt in.
18. cut off a. intercept, seize en route, b. interrupt, obstruct, hinder, thwart, stop. c. disinherit, disherit, disown, renounce.
19. cut up a. lacerate, wound, injure, b. misbehave, Inf. fool around, Sl. horse around, disobey, play pranks or jokes, c. ridicule, criticize, vilify, slander, Inf. bad-mouth.
-adj. 20. detached, severed, broken off, separated, Bot. incised, Bot. cleft.
21. apportioned, divided, sectioned.
22. reduced, lowered, marked down, diminished; diluted, watered, watered down, adulterated.
23. castrated, gelded, caponized, eunuchized, emasculated, effeminized.
24. cut and dried a. fixed, settled, predetermined, automatic, b. unoriginal, uninspiring; trite, hackneyed; dull, boring, plodding, wearisome.
-n. 25. gash, slash, slit, cleft, rift; incision, groove, opening, indentation; wound, laceration; nick, tear, rip.
26. slice, piece, portion, quantity, sliver, shaving, Dial, collop; snip, snippet, snatch, chip; sample, fragment, remnant.
27. percentage, Inf. share; graft, Inf. kickback, Inf. rake-off.
28. style, fashion, mode, manner; shape, form, configuration; type, sort, kind, ilk.
29. strip, swath; passage, course, channel; furrow, trench, tunnel, burrow, ditch, hole, dugout; belt, avenue, corridor, aisle.
30. excision, omission, deletion; excerpt, selection, quotation; cutting, clipping, analects.
31. reduction, cutback, slowdown, diminution; curtailment, abbreviation, abatement, mitigation.
32. insult, affront, offense; sarcasm, taunt, dig, jibe, jeer, slap in the face; rebuff, snub, slight, cold shoulder, deep freeze.
33. woodcut, print, Fine Arts, block print; engraving, etching; impression, illustration, picture, design. cutaway, n. morning clothes, morning dress, swallow-tailed coat, tail coat, Inf. tails, Inf. tie and tails, white tie, formal, Sl. monkey suit, Sl. soup-and-fish; tuxedo, Inf. tux. See tuxedo, cuticle, n. epidermis, scarfskin, skin, Anat. derma; integument, membrane, pellicle, cutpurse, n. pickpocket, pickpurse, lightfingers; purse snatcher, mugger; thief, robber, crook, bandit, cutthroat, n. 1. thug, killer, murderer, slayer; as sassin, liquidator, bravo, gunman, executioner, Euph. dispatcher, Euph. silencer; All Sl. gun, hired gun, hit man, triggerman, torpedo, hatchet man.
-adj. 2. murderous, killing, homicidal, death- dealing, lethal, fatal, mortal; savage, barbarous, cruel, brutal, fiendish, bloodthirsty, sanguinary; ferocious, violent, wild, berserk, maniacal.
3. ruthless, merciless, unmerciful, pitiless, unfeeling; dog-eat-dog, every man for himself.
cutting, n. 1. severance, disseverance, sunderance;
splitting, cleaving, cleavage, slitting; rending, tearing.
2. piece, part, particle, bit; slice, Inf. clip, clipping; (all usu. of a plant) cut, slip, scion.
-adj. 3. sharp, sharpened, edged, honed, razor-
sharp; lancinating, stabbing; keen, pointed.
4. numbing, freezing, frigid, chilling, raw; cold, chilly, algid, bitter; piercing, penetrating, biting, nipping, stinging, pricking.