blooming, adj. 1. abloom, in bloom, flowering, blossoming, in blossom.
2. growing, waxing, flourishing, prospering, thriving, luxuriant; glowing, flushed, radiant; vigorous, healthy, sound.
blossom, n. 1. bloom, flower, floweret. See - bloom
-v. 2. flower, germinate, grow. See - bloom (defs.
blot, n. 1. spot, speck, blotch, patch, dot, mark; smudge, smutch, smear, smirch, blur; stain, soil, dirt. 2. blemish, taint, flaw, mar; defect, fault, crack, scratch; imperfection, disfigurement, defacement.
-v. 3. spot, smudge, smutch, mark, ink; speckle, bedaub, bespatter, draggle, drabble, Archaic, daggle; smirch, smear, slime; soil, dirty, sully, besmirch, muck, bemire; stain, tarnish, blacken, discolor, mar.
blot out obscure, shadow, adumbrate, darken, dim; obliterate, erase, expunge, rub out, delete, cancel, cross out, mark over or through, scratch out, Print, dele; annihilate, exterminate, extirpate, abolish, demolish, destroy, ruin, wipe out.
5. absorb, soak up, extract moisture from, dry out.
blotch, n. 1. blob, glob, patch, globule, splash.
See - blot (def. 1).
2. blemish, pimple, blackhead, eruption, SI. zit, Pathol, wen; sore, pustule, blister, Pathol, blain, Pathol, cyst; bump, mole, wart, pock, bruise, birthmark, Med. nevus, SI. hickey; scar, mar, taint, defect, fault, imperfection, discoloration, disfigurement, defacement.
-v. 3. smear, smirch, stain. See - blot (def. 3).
blotter, n. record, register, list, day book, police blotter.
blow1, n. 1. slap, punch, hit, Inf. clout, Inf. buff, SI. shot, SI. slug, SI. paste, SI. bash, SI. rap 'side the head. See - bat1 (def. 2).
2. shock, calamity, reversal. See - calamity (def. 2).
3. come to blows fight, spar, grapple, scuffle, tussle, brawl, SI. mix it up, engage in fisticuffs; dispute, skirmish, fall out, clash, row.
4. without striking a blow effortlessly, easily, without contest, Inf. hands down, Inf. walking away.
5. strike the first blow take the initiative, make the first move, lead off, start the ball rolling, meet [s.o.] head-on. See - begin (def. 3).
blow2, v. 1. breeze, flurry, puff; bluster, squall, blast; fly, soar, zoom, sail, float, drift; wave, flap, flutter, ruffle, flourish, undulate, waft, toss.
2. exhale, respire, expel, emit, spout, give off, vent; puff, pant, huff, wheeze, gasp, breathe hard; whistle, whiffle, wind, whoosh, sigh, suspire, exude.
3. sound, blast, blare, toot, toodle.
4. Informal, brag, boast, crow, bluff, Inf. talk big.
5. burst, explode, rupture, pop; break open, split open, crack, split; implode, pop in, collapse; blow up, shatter, burn out, blow out, puncture; destroy, demolish, detonate; erupt, burst forth.
6. Slang, lavish, spend freely, SI. spend as if money is going out of style, Inf. throw one's money around; squander, waste, fritter away, misspend, run through, dissipate.
7. Slang, botch, bungle, muff, make a mess or hash
of; mismanage, Inf. mess up, Inf. screw up.
8. blow hot and cold waver, vascillate, fluctuate, shift or go back and forth, Inf. shilly-shally.
9. blow one's stack or
top lose one's temper, become enraged, flare up, lose control, SI. flip one's lid, SI.