impact, n. 1. collision, crash, clash, striking, bump; slam, bang, knock, thump, whack, thwack; blow, stroke, punch, smack, slap, Inf. clip, smash.
2. percussion, shock, force, full force, brunt; pressure, impetus, momentum, energy.
3. influence, bearing, effect; results, repercussions, consequences. -v. 4. pack in, ram down, force in or down, compress, condense; push in, press in, shove in, wedge in, cram in, stuff in, jam in, squeeze in, fit in.
5. congest, throng, fill, fill up, crowd, overcrowd, overfill, overstuff, fill to overflowing, fill to the brim.
6. collide with, bump into, run into, bang into, smash into, slam into, dash against; hit, strike, smack, knock, thump, whack, thwack, punch, Inf. clip, slap.
impact on affect, influence, alter, change; work upon, impress, act on, bear on, relate to, impinge on.
impair, v. weaken, lessen, enervate, water down, attenuate; vitiate, debase, adulterate, pollute, corrupt; debilitate, enfeeble, sap, undermine; wear down or out or away; cripple, disable, crush, shatter; damage, injure, harm, hurt; spoil, mar, blemish, deface, disfigure.
impale, v. transfix, pierce, stab, prick, stick; puncture, perforate, bore; pink, spear, spike, spit; run through, gut, disembowel, eviscerate,
impalpable, adj. 1. intangible, imperceptible, imponderable; insubstantial, unreal, unworldly, dreamlike; light, airy, ethereal, shadowy, cloudy, wispy; evanescent, fleeting.
2. subtle, obscure, vague, tenuous; unclear, ambiguous, blurred, fuzzy, clouded, veiled; mysterious, esoteric, recondite, secret,
impart, v. 1. tell, relate, pass on, communicate, transmit, publish, report, proclaim; apprise, make known, disclose, uncover, reveal, divulge, Inf. break; inform, confide, mention, hint, hint at, intimate, suggest.
2. bestow, grant, cede, confer, render; deal, apportion, allot, allocate, assign, award; dispense, distribute, give, present, contribute, donate; deliver, hand over, hand out, part with, fork over, shell out; entrust, lend, consign, relegate,
impartial, adj. unbiased, unprejudiced, unbigoted; uncolored, disinterested, dispassionate, detached, objective; neutral, without favoritism, uninfluenced, incorrupt, aboveboard, punctilious, legal, by the rules; equitable, even, even-handed, fair, fair-minded, just, true, Inf. square, unwarped.
Impartiality, n. equity, fairness, justice, justness, fair play, even-handedness; objectivity, dispassion, disinterest, disinterestedness, neutrality,
impassable, adj. 1. impenetrable, impervious, impermeable; unnavigable, untraversable, inaccessible; blocked, obstructed, barricaded; washed-out, pathless.
2. insurmountable, insuperable, unconquerable,
impasse, n. 1. deadlock, stalemate, standstill; halt, stop, stoppage, full stop, dead stop, quietus, cessation; stand, stay, check, checkmate, mate; block, blockage; stand-off, tie, draw.
2. dilemma, perplexity, nonplus; predicament, hole, Inf. fix, corner; bind, double bind, catch-22; dead end, blind alley, cul-de-sac.
impassioned, adj. 1. passionate, impassionate, ardent, vehement, zealous; overzealous, overeager, overanxious, Inf. gung-ho; fervent, fervid, perfervid; earnest, eager, animated, enthusiastic, Inf. enthused, Inf. psyched or psyched up; excited, sparkling, glowing, lively, alive, full of life, vivacious, Inf. bright-eyed and bushy-tailed; enlivened, inspired, inspirited, invigorat-ated, energized, energetic, vivified, vitalized; vigorous, forceful, dynamic, high-powered.