unearth, v. 1. dig up, exhume, excavate, grub up, dredge up; mine, quarry, pull out, root out, deracinate; disinter; unbury, untomb, disentomb, unsepulcher.
2. uncover, discover, find, come across, hit upon; bring to light, expose, reveal, disclose; turn up, root up, ferret out; divulge, make manifest, evidence.
unearthly, adj. 1. otherworldly, psychical, psychic, spiritual, spiritistic, astral; extramundane, supersensory, discarnate, bodiless; incorporeal, asomatous, immaterial, imponderable; extraterrestrial, transmun-dane, unworldly, supernal; occult, transcendental, supramundane, preterhuman, pretersensual; supernatural, unnatural, preternatural, hypernormal.
2. ghostly, spectral, numinous, deathly; weird, strange, uncanny, eldritch, eerie, macabre; haunted, ghosted, nightmarish, hag-ridden; creepy, spooky, Scot. unco, bizarre, unreal, mysterious; funny, queer, curious, peculiar, Brit. Si. rum, Inf. kooky, SI. oddball.
3. out-of-the-ordinary, extreme, ungodly, unreasonable; outrageous, undue, uncalled-for, preposterous; unheard-of, unfamiliar, abnormal, unusual, unconventional.
uneasy, adj. uncomfortable, restless, disturbed, perturbed, troubled, discomposed, restive; fidgety, edgy, on edge, jumpy, jittery, nervous; anxious, apprehensive, tense, queasy; upset, flustered, Inf. in a stew, agitated, unquiet, all of a flutter, all of a twitter; stirred up, ruffled, flurried, on pins and needles, SI. all hot and bothered; put out, rattled, disquieted, ill-at-ease.
uneducated, adj. 1. ignorant, illiterate, unlettered, uninstructed, untaught, unschooled, untutored, undisciplined, unlearned; green, raw, wide-eyed, innocent; inexperienced, unaccomplished.
2. unaware, unacquainted, unconversant, unapprised, uninformed, uninitiated, unenlightened, unread; unknowing, unwitting, blind, nescient, in the dark, knowing nothing, Si. out of it.
3. uncultivated, unrefined, rude, crude, uncultured, lowbrow; superficial, shallow, sciolistic, unscholarly, half-baked.
unembellished, adj. unadorned, unornamented, unvarnished, inelegant, unostentatious; basic, bare, pure, severe, stark, austere; lean, spare, Spartan; uncolored, colorless, monotonous, uninteresting, dull; unfinished, raw, unrefined, rough, unpainted; plain, simple, modest, humble, unaffected, unpretentious, unpretending, unassuming; nondescript, prosaic, matter-of-fact; ordinary, common, commonplace, usual, familiar, everyday, workday, workaday, household-variety, garden-variety; (of music) straight-ahead, unex-perimental.
unemotional, adj. unexcitable, unmoved, unstirred, unkindled, unperturbed, unsusceptible, unimpressionable, unimpiessible; apathetic, phlegmatic, listless, languid; lukewarm, neutral, nonchalant, indifferent; sedate, self-controlled, sober, staid, stoical, philosophical; stiff, formal, Inf. tight, Si. uptight; reserved, shy, demure; calm, composed, poised, quiet, unruffled, placid; undemonstrative, unresponsive, unaffection-ate, distant, aloof; cool, cold, frigid; impervious, stony, steely, flinty; hardened, obdurate, callous, thickskinned; unimpassioned, untouched, indurate, inured.
unemployed, adj. 1. out of work, jobless, workless, laid off, out of a job; idle, inactive, unoccupied, unbusied; free, at liberty, at leisure, leisured, Inf. off.
2. inoperative, nonfunctioning, nonperforming; unapplied, unexercised, unused, SI. on the shelf.
3. latent, untapped, unrealized.