4. invite, bid, summon, beckon, request one's presence.
5. ask for provoke, incite, inspire, encourage, instigate, induce; actuate, occasion, bring on or about, bring to pass.
askance, adv. 1. suspiciously, mistrustfully, distrustfully, dubiously, doubtfully; disapprovingly, unapprovingly, disdainfully, scornfully, askew.
2. sideways, obliquely, indirectly, evasively, slyly, out of the corner of one's eye, with a side glance; askance, askant, asquint; at an angle, aslant, slantwise, at a slant, slantingly, crookedly,
askew, adv. 1. awry, sideways, to one side, crook
edly, out of line.
2. disapprovingly, unapprovingly, askance; disdainfully, scornfully, contemptuously, derisively. -adj. 3. crooked, awry, SI. cock-eyed,
aslant, adv. 1. slantwise, at a slant, slantingly, sideways, obliquely, at an angle; aslope, at a slope, diagonally, crossways, crosswise.
-adj. 2. slanting, slant, slantwise, oblique, diagonal, sloping, aslope, at an angle.
-prep. 3. slanting across, athwart, from side to
asleep, adv. 1. fast asleep, sound asleep, dead
asleep, in or into a deep sleep, in or into a coma.
-adj. 2. sleeping, resting, reposing, slumbering, dozing, drowsing, Inf. snoozing, SI. logging z's; somnolent, soporose, soporous; dead to the world, Inf. out like a light, SI. sacked out; dreaming, in the arms of Morpheus; napping, catnapping; comatose, unconscious, anesthetized; hypnotized, in a swoon, in a trance, in a faint.
3. dormant, inactive, passive, idle, latent; quiet, quiescent, still, stock-still, Chiefly Brit, stilly; unmov-ing, immovable, immobile, motionless, unstirring, calm, becalmed; stagnant, inert, sluggish.
4. numb, benumbed, insensible.
5. lifeless, inanimate, dead; deceased, departed, at rest.
asp, n. adder, European viper, Egyptian cobra, horned viper, Archaeol. uraeus, venomous snake or serpent, krait.
aspect, n. 1. appearance, demeanor, mien, air, cast, look; countenance, visage, complexion, features, face, physiognomy, figure; bearing, attitude, presence, style, carriage, deportment.
2. nature, character, quality, property, attribute, feature; characteristic, trait, particularity, singularity.
3. view, viewpoint, standpoint, side, slant, angle, light, interpretation.
4. part, piece, segment, factor, phase.
5. outlook, prospect, exposure, direction; landscape, scene; side, surface.
asperity, n. 1. acrimony, acrimoniousness, causticity, mordancy, bitterness, acridity, acridness, pungency, venom, venomousness, venomness; astringency, severity, sternness, acerbity, austerity, stringency; harshness, sharpness, sourness, acidulousness, acidity, tartness; trenchancy, keenness, sarcasm, satire, irony; virulence, spite, spitefulness, malice, maliciousness, viciousness; peevishness, petulance, Rare, petulancy, Rare, procacity, crabbedness, testiness, touchiness, edginess; irascibility, irritability, crossness; ill-temperedness, ill temper, short-temperedness, ill-humoredness, ill humor.
2. animosity, resentment, grudge, hostility; indignation, pique, dudgeon; moroseness, sullenness, surliness, moodiness; rudeness, churlishness, boorishness, gracelessness, discourtesy; abusiveness, corrosiveness.
My Account / Test History
Note: For boys, the period between 14-17 approximately (slightly younger for girls) is called adolescence, i.e. you are an adolescent. In law you are an adult at the age of 18, but many people think of you as an adult when you leave school.
Childhood and adolescence
Sam (on the right) was born in Scotland but when he was two, his father got a new job in London and he grew up in the south of England He went to university at 18 where he ...
... where he met Anthea. He went out with her (= she was his girlfriend; he was her boyfriend) for three years, but towards the end they had lots of rows (= arguments) and they split up (= broke up / separated). In his mid twenties ...
... in his mid twenties he met Maureen. They fell in love and got married within six months.
A year later she got pregnant and they had their first child, a boy. As you can see, she is now expecting their second child (to be pregnant = to be expecting a baby). But sadly Sam met another woman and he left Maureen two months ago to live with the other woman.