nonviolent, unwarlike, noncombative, unbelligerent, unbellicose, unpugnacious, uncontentious; mild, tender, gentle, soft, soft-hearted, tender-hearted, sensitive; merciful, lenient, clement, easy, easy-going, forgiving, tolerant; easy-natured, gentle as a lamb, good-natured, good-tempered, amiable, affable, genial; docile, tame; uncomplaining, unassertive, passive, nonopposing, submissive; unassuming, meek, quiet, subdued, tractable.
3. at peace, peaceful; calm, still, motionless, smooth, undisturbed, unperturbed, unagitated, unruffled; windless, waveless, stormless; stationary, becalmed; tranquil, serene, restful, reposeful, placid, halcyon.
pacification, n. 1. tranquilization, quieting, calming, lulling, soothing, comforting, consoling, solacing; assuagement, allaying, alleviation, palliation, relieving; mitigation, abatement, remission, relief; reduction, lessening, diminution, moderation, modulation; tempering, softening, mollifying, mollification.
2. appeasement, placation, propitiation, conciliation; atonement, reconciliation, reconciling, reconcilement, reunion; sacrifice, compromise, accommodation, adjustment; peace-making, mediation, arbitration, negotiation, intervention; settlement, terms, truce, treaty, armistice; suspension of hostilities, moratorium, relaxation of tensions, detente, peace.
3. subdual, suppression, quelling, quashing; satisfaction, satisfying, slaking, quenching; dulling, blunting, stifling, smothering.
4. peacefulness, rest, repose, tranquillity, calm, serenity; relief, comfort, consolation, solace.
pacificatory, adj. 1. pacifying, appeasing, conciliatory, propitiatory, propitiating, propitiative, placatory, placative; peace-making, mediative, mediatorial, intermediatory, intercessory, intervening, interventional; negotiable, reconcilable; compromising, accommodative.
2. peaceable, agreeable, agreeing, accordant; harmonious, concordant, compatible; peaceful, pacific, peace-loving, congenial, amicable, amiable, friendly.
pacifier, n. 1. teething ring, rubber nipple, sug-ar-tit; mollifier, appeaser, placater, Med., Pharm. placebo; sweetener.
2. bribe, sop; inducement, lure, reward.
pacify, v. 1. quiet, calm, tranquilize, lull, soothe, compose, comfort; alleviate, relieve, palliate, allay, assuage; mitigate, abate, moderate, temper, lessen.
2. appease, placate, pacificate, Archaic, attemper; humor, dulcify, mollify, soften; reconcile, Archaic, accord, bring to terms, make peace, settle differences, defuse, pour oil on troubled waters; propitiate, concili-