4. (all of water) lapping, washing, bathing, breaking, dashing. beatitude, n. 1. blessedness, sainthood, sanctity, saintliness; serenity, peace, heavenly peace, the peace that surpasses all understanding; bliss, heavenly bliss, blissfulness, joy, holy joy, joyfulness; delight, happiness, felicity; exaltation, elation, rapture, divine rapture.
2. blessing, benediction; encomium, eulogy; precept, commandment, moral; guide, teaching, beau, n. 1. escort, squire, date, cavalier, partner; suitor, wooer, pursuer, admirer, adorer; lover, swain, inamorato, amorist, gallant; sweetheart, spark, Inf. flame, love, beloved, Romeo; fiance, betrothed, young man, boy friend; paramour, intimate, Fr. intime, friend, It. cicisbeo.
2. dandy, jack-a-dandy, fop, coxcomb, popinjay; exquisite, SI. swell, dude, blade, silk-stocking; puppy, jackanapes.
-v. 3. escort, squire, date, take out, go with see. beautiful, adj. 1. comely, attractive, handsome, seemly, becoming, sightly, Inf. eye-filling, good-looking, pulchritudinous, Chiefly Literary, beauteous; fair, pretty, Chiefly Scot. bonny, shapely, well-proportioned, glamorous, sexy; charming, engaging, captivating, enthralling, enchanting, alluring, fascinating, winsome, winning, bewitching, enticing, tempting, seductive, ravishing.
2. personable, pleasant, lovely, Inf divine; graceful, elegant, artistic; delicate, dainty.
3. excellent, superior, magnificent, gorgeous, fine; first-rate, first-class, prime, choice, select; exquisite, rare, superb, matchless, unequalled, nonpareil.
4. resplendent, dazzling, radiant, shining, lustrous, effulgent. beautify, v. 1. adorn, prettify, grace, smarten, titivate, dress up, embellish, elaborate; enhance, heighten, set off, enrich, sweeten; bedeck, deck, deck out, array, ornament, fret, decorate, emblazon, garnish; spangle, bespangle, embroider, emboss, illuminate; paint, polish, burnish, gild, furbish, restore.
2. (usu. of oneself) dress, primp, prink, prank, preen, Archaic, prune, SI. doll up, SI. dude up. beauty, n. 1. loveliness, comeliness, fairness, prettiness, pulchritude; attractiveness, eye appeal, allurement, glamour, charm, grace, winsomeness; gracefulness, elegance, artistry, delicacy, fineness; proportion, balance, symmetry.
2. belle, goddess, Venus, Inf. knockout, SI. looker, SI. dish, SI. babe; siren, seductress, charmer, enchantress.
3. advantage, asset, strong point, strength; benefit, blessing, boon. becalm, v. (all of sailing vessels) stop, halt, stall, bring to a standstill; take the wind out of one's sails, because, conj. 1. since, as, whereas, inasmuch as, forasmuch as; due to the fact that, in view of the fact that, seeing that. -adv. 2. on account, by reason, by virtue, through; due to, owing to, thanks to, for; as a result, consequently, therefore, beck, n. nod, gesture, signal, summons. See beckon (def. 3). beckon, v. 1. nod, gesture, gesticulate, crook the finger at; wave, signal, give a sign, call, summon, bid.
2. lure, attract, draw, intrigue, interest, tempt, invite, tantalize; allure, entice, decoy, lead astray, seduce; inveigle, induce, beguile, persuade, charm, coax.
-n. 3. nod, gesture, movement, gesticulation; sign,
More Synonyms ...