8. surround, encircle, encompass, environ, outline, delineate; gird, engird, girdle, belt, ring; circumvent, bound, limit, confine, shut in, hem in, pen in, keep within bounds.
9. obtain, acquire, procure, get, get hold of, secure; achieve, accomplish, fulfill, carry out, carry off, bring off, Inf. pull off, SI. come through, SI. do or turn the trick; perform, do, discharge, execute, dispatch, Inf. take care of, SI. polish off; effect, effectuate, bring about, bring to pass.
10. contrive, plot, complot, scheme, intrigue, collude, conspire, connive; maneuver, machinate, engineer.
11. understand, comprehend, fathom, read, follow, get the idea, Inf. get the picture, Scot. ken, SI. savvy, SI. dig; catch, grasp, seize, embrace, take in, apprehend, get hold of, Inf. catch on, Inf. catch or get the drift; see, perceive, discern, see the light.
compassion, n. pity, tenderness, heart, love, ruth, pathos, Archaic, bowels; clemency, lenity, leniency, mildness, easiness, gentleness; mercy, quarter, grace, exorability, placability, liberality; sympathy, commiseration, consolation, concern; kindliness, softheartedness, benignity, tender-heartedness, lovingkindness; charity, benevolence, magnanimity, kindheartedness, beneficence, humanitarianism; sorrow, condolence, solace, fellow feeling, understanding, consideration, considerateness; forbearance, suffering, long-suffering, longanimity; tolerance, indulgence, patience, toleration, endurance; forgivingness, forgiveness, condonation; humanity, kindness, chivalry, goodness.
compassionate, adj. pitying, tender, ruthful, piteous, loving; clement, lenient, mild, easy, gentle, soft; merciful, liberal, gracious, exorable, placable, touched; sympathizing, sympathetic, commiserative, consoling; kindly, benign, benignant, soft-hearted, tender-hearted, humane; kind, good, chivalrous, forgiving, pardoning; charitable, benevolent, magnanimous, beneficent, kind-hearted, humanitarian; sorry, condolent, understanding, considerate; forbearing, tolerant, indulgent, patient.
compatibility, n. 1. unanimity, consentience, consentaneity, consentaneousness, like-mindedness; concord, concordance, concurrence, consonance, concert; agreement, accord, accordance, compliance, conformity, conformance, conformation; unity, oneness, oneness of mind, single-mindedness.
2. affinity, friendship, rapport, good will, good feeling, amity, cordial relations; peace, peacefulness; congeniality, amicability, neighborliness; fraternity, brotherhood, brotherliness, fellowship, comradeship.
3. harmony, harmoniousness, proportion, balance, symmetry; coherence, cohesion, consistency; congruity, congruence, congruousness, mutual fitness.
compatible, adj. 1. harmonious, in harmony, agreeing, in agreement, agreeable, accordant, in accord, concordant; concurring, concurrent, consentaneous, consentient; complying, compliant, complaisant, conforming, conformable; at one, in unison, in rapport, of the same mind, of one mind, like-minded.
2. coexistent, coexisting, coincident, coeval, concomitant, contemporary, contemporaneous, simultaneous, coinstantaneous; parallel, side-by-side; synchronized, in step, Inf. in sync.
3. consistent, coherent, cohesive, congruous, congruent; in line, in keeping.
compatriot, n. fellow countryman or countrywoman, countryman, brother, fellow citizen, countryfolk, countrypeople, SI. paisano.
compeer, n. 1. peer, equal, coequal, equivalent, equipollent; fellow, match, counterpart, like, twin, clone.