etus, deathblow; halt, stop, stoppage, full stop, dead stop; stand, stay, check, checkmate, mate; blockage, block; stand-off, tie, draw, dead heat.
2. dilemma, perplexity, nonplus; predicament, hole, Inf fix, corner; dead end, blind alley, cul-de-sac.
3. defeat, overthrow, rout, vanquishment; collapse, fall, downfall.
-v. 4. stop, halt, cease; deadlock, bring to a standstill; stand, stay, curb, check, checkmate; forestall, preclude, obviate, intercept; block, blockade, bar, debar; thwart, trump.
5. prostrate, paralyze, incapacitate, disable, render helpless, make ineffective; undermine, spike, Inf put the kibosh on.
6. hinder, impede, obstruct, clog, trammel; cramp, bind, shackle, inhibit; corner, run or drive into a corner, drive or push to the wall, Inf. tree.
7. confuse, confound, perplex, bewilder, stump, embarrass, nonplus, Inf flummox. stalk1, n. 1. stem, trunk, caudex, culm, haulm, cane, calamus, quill, Bot. caulis, Bot. caulicle, Bot. axis; shaft, shank, spike, spindle, pivot, swivel, axle.
2. leafstalk, Bot. stipe, Bot. petiole, Bot. petiolule, Biol, pedicle, Bot. pedicel, Both Bot., Zool. peduncle, footstalk, Both Bot. funicle, funiculus, Bot. gyno-phore; twig, branch, arm, leg, neck, support. stalk2, v. 1. pursue, chase, give chase, course, Brit, chevy, (in India) shikar, follow close or hot on [s.o.'s] heels or trail; hunt, track down, track, trail, still-hunt, follow, shadow, haunt, Inf. tail; hound, Sl. bird-dog, dog, scent, hawk, pigstick, smell out; approach, sneak or creep up on, surprise, ambush.
2. march, goose-step, tramp, stamp, flounce, Dial. traipse; strut, swagger, prance, peacock; hike, foot, hoof, stump; stride, walk, step, tread, pace.
-n. 3. hunt, tracking, Inf. still hunt, Inf. tailing; chase, pursuit, course, coursing, Brit, chevy, (in India) shikar, Archaic, venery; hawking, falconry, Brit. beagling.
4. march, goose step, slow march; strut, prance, swagger; stride, walk, gait, step, pace. stall1, n. 1. crib, booth, cage, cell, bay, carrel, carol; quarters, chamber, room, roomette, apartment, enclosure, Theater, box; compartment, cubicle, pigeonhole, cubbyhole, cubby, niche, nook, alcove, corner; partition, section, part, division; closet, locker, Brit. lockup; parking space or place, slot, garage; slip, Naut. anchorage, Naut. moorage, Naut. quayage; dressing room, shower, bathroom, toilet, privy.
2. corral, pen, coop, hutch, cote, fold, sty, pigpen; stable, barn, cowshed, shed, lean-to, outbuilding, outhouse; house, home, shelter, protection, roof.
3. booth, stand, cart, table, counter.
-v. 4. pen, cage, coop, sty, corral, fence in, picket; quarter, room, house, shelter, shed, sleep, bed down; place, put, situate, locate, set up; park, garage, Naut. moor, Naut. dock, Naut. anchor, Naut. tie up; enclose, shut in, immure, wall in, lock up, confine, imprison, jail, incarcerate.
5. (of a motor or vehicle) flood, choke, kill; halt, stop, bring or come to a stop, bring or come to a standstill or a stand; give out, die, Sl. conk out; get stuck, stick, get caught; bog down, mire, swamp, get sucked in, sink into; slide, spin one's wheels, go nowhere, make no progress. stall1, n. 1. Informal, delay, dilatory tactic or maneuver, Inf. footdragging, U.S. filibuster, Brit, stonewalling; subterfuge, wile, ruse, Trojan horse; artifice, trick, stratagem, maneuver, move; pretext, pretense, deception, deceit, Obs. cog.