impecuniousness, neediness, necessitousness; privation, destitution, pennilessness, hand-to-mouth existence; beggary, pauperism, mendicity; distress, difficulties, straits, narrow straits, straitened or narrow circumstances, reduced or embarrassed circumstances; starvation, hunger, bare cupboard, wolf at the door; poor house, poor farm; Sl. poor mouth.
2. lack, want, absence, default, dearth, paucity; stint, scarcity, short supply, shortage, insufficiency, inadequacy; depletion, exhaustion, emptiness, vacuity.
3. meagerness, scarceness, scantiness, scantness, exiguity, shortness; bareness, slightness, skimpiness, scrimpiness.
poverty-stricken, adj. indigent, impoverished, penurious. See indigent (def. 1).
powder, n. 1. dust, pounce, fine grains, loose particles, flour, meal, grain, farina, bran; sawdust, filings, grounds, crumbs; grit, soot, dirt.
2. gunpowder, ammunition, explosive, black powder, dynamite, cordite, All Chem. TNT, trinitrotoluene, trinitroluol, methyltrinitrobenzene, melinite, lyddite.
3. face powder, make-up, cosmetic; bath powder, dusting powder, talcum powder, talc, foot powder, baby powder, Trademark. Johnson's.
-v. 4. granulate, pulverize, mortar, comminute, triturate, levigate, grind, crush, bray; mill, grate, scrape, kibble, stone, abrade, rub; mash, smash, pound, beat, Sl. smush.
5. dust, sprinkle, besprinkle, pounce, Both Cookery. dredge, flour, spray, shower, dot, fleck, hail, splash, spatter, speckle, dapple, mottle, sit, dabble, dribble; spread, strew, diffuse, bestrew, scatter, asperse, distribute, broadcast; top, cover, coat, screen, overlay, overspread, perfuse, suffuse.
6. disintegrate, crumble, shatter, fall apart, fall into pieces or bits; return to dust or ashes, dry rot, decay, rot.
powdery, adj. 1. granulated, pulverulent, ground, fine; dusty, ashy, gritty, sandlike, sandy, arenose, arenaceous, sootlike, sooty; pulverized, crushed, mortared, comminuted, triturated, levigated, smashed, mashed, Sl. smushed; grated, stoned, milled, mealy, floury, granular, grainy, farinaceous, oatlike, branny, branlike, furfuraceous; flaky, flocculent, scaly, scurfy.
2. pulverizable, pulverable, frangible, breakable; crumbly, friable, loose; disintegrating, rotting, decayed, falling apart.
3. powdered, dusted, sprinkled, besprinkled, pounced, Both Cookery, dredged, floured; sprayed, showered, hailed, dotted, flecked, splashed, spattered, speckled, dappled, mottled, Bot., Zool. lentiginous; covered, topped, coated, screened, overspread.
power, n. 1. ability, capacity, capability, potential, potentiality, the stuff, Inf. what it takes, U.S. Inf the goods; intelligence, brains, Sl. smarts, mother wit, native ability, mind for; aptitude, talent, faculty, gift, genius, skill, flair, bent, turn, knack.
2. powerfulness, potency, potentness, strength, might, main, mightiness, brute force or strength, force, forcefulness, Literary, puissance, vehemence, intensity, formidableness, formidability, overwhelmingness, overpoweringness; impregnability, impregnableness, unassailableness, invulnerability, invulnerableness, unyieldingness, invincibility, invincibleness.
3, energy, vigor, vitality, Inf. pep, Inf. punch, Inf. kick, Inf. zip, Sl. pizzazz; fortitude, intestinal fortitude, inner strength, grit, Sl. guts, Sl. gutsiness, stamina, staying or sticking power, Inf. stick-to-it-iveness; redbloodedness, full-bloodedness, doughtiness, lustiness, heartiness; activeness, athleticism, manliness, virility, vigorousness, robustness, haleness, fitness, able-bodiedness; sturdiness, stalwartness, ruggedness, toughness, steeliness; hardness, firmness, solidness, solidity, stoutness, thickness, soundness, staunchness, substantiality, substantialness; physical strength, thews, sinews, brawn, beef, muscle, physique, musculature, build, size, bigness; Inf. huskiness, Inf. heftiness, Inf. beefiness, burliness, brawniness, muscularity, sinewiness.