cogitation, n. 1. meditation, meditating, contemplation, contemplating, musing, pondering, brooding, mulling over, dwelling on; reflection, reflecting, cogitating, rumination, ruminating, chewing over, chewing one's cud, brown study; thought, thinking about or over, cerebration, cerebrating, being lost in thought; concentration, concentrating, focusing, having one's mind on, wondering about, lucubration, brainwork, headwork.
2. reason, rationality, thinking; intellect, mind,
brains, brainpower; intelligence, sense, understanding.
3. thought, conception, concept, idea, conceit, notion; whim, whimsy, vagary, crotchet, fancy, hallucination; vision, dream.
4. design, plan, plot, scheme, stratagem; contrivance, device, intrigue, cabal, machination, expedient; concoction, invention, Si. baby.
cognate, adj. 1. related, kindred, akin, generic, congeneric, connatural, coordinal; uterine, enate, enatic, agnate, consanguine, consanguineous, german, sororal, fraternal.
2. allied, affiliated, associated, apposite, affined; similar, alike, common, correlated, corresponding, correspondent, comparative, relative.
cognition, n. 1. perception, discernment, enlightenment, cognizance; intelligence, comprehension, understanding, notion, sensibility, apprehension, grasp.
2. wisdom, knowing, awareness, insight; conver
sance, conversancy, familiarity, acquaintance, ken.
cognizance, n. 1. knowledge, familiarity, acquaintance, ken; percipience, discernment, discrimination;
connoisseurship, sophistication, urbanity.
2. awareness, consciousness, sentience, sensibility, sensitivity; observation, notice, note, regard; observance, consideration, mindfulness, regardfulness; alertness, watchfulness, wariness, cautiousness.
3. realization, recognition, discovery, awakening; intuition, insight, enlightenment; perception, apprehension, comprehension, understanding, appreciation.
4. Heraldry, badge, label, sign, token; coat of arms, escutcheon; livery, uniform.
cognizant, adj. 1. aware, conscious, sentient, alive to; sensible of, familiar with, acquainted with, SI. wise to; mindful, regardful, observant, awake, wide-awake; alert, cautious, wary, on the qui vive, on the beam or ball.
2. informed, in the know, apprised, enlightened, posted, up-to-date, Fr. au courant; knowledgeable, knowing, conversant, versed; sharp, quick, intelligent, percipient, discerning, discriminating; sophisticated, worldly-wise, urbane, SI. hip, SI. with it.
cognize, v. perceive, discern, see; comprehend, understand, fathom, penetrate, apprehend, grasp, ken, seize; take in, make out, gain insight into, gain an impression of; know, realize, recognize; become conscious of, be cognizant of, be aware of, be sensible of; heed, attend, regard.