3. bow, curtsy, genuflection, kneeling; salaam, kowtow, conge, stoop; salutation, salute, nod, capping, doffing.
obelisk, n. monolith, shaft, needle, column, pillar, monument.
obese, adj. 1. fat, corpulent, overweight, Scot. fodgel; chubby, tubby, pudgy, plump; round, rounded out, rotund, portly; paunchy, potbellied, round-bellied, big-bellied, Sl. beerbellied, large-bellied, great-bellied, Obs. gorbellied; Inf. bay-windowed, Inf. cor-porational, abdominous; fleshy, well-fed.
2. full, bulging, protuberant, bloated, distended; swollen, turgid, tumid; puffy.
3. stout, thickset, full-figured.
4. big, large, great; bulky, gross, lumpish, obesity, n. fatness, overweight, corpulence, corpulency, Fr. embonpoint, Pathol, adiposis, obeseness; chubbiness, tubbiness, paunchiness, pudginess, plumpness, roundedness, rotundity; portliness, stoutness, burliness; hulk, bulk.
obey, v. 1. observe, comply with, acknowledge, respect; adhere to, abide by, conform to; acquiesce in, consent to, agree to, grant, concur, accept; accommodate, adapt, adjust, suit, fit, (usu. of things) respond, react; mind, heed, follow, defer to, be regulated by, be governed by.
2. surrender, relent, give in, give way to, succumb; stoop, bend to, bow to, truckle to, humble oneself to, bend the knee to, knuckle under, do [s.o.'s] bidding,
Inf. jump through hoops; resign oneself to, get into line, toe or mark the line, keep in step, walk the chalk mark or line.
3. perform, discharge, execute, carry out, carry into effect; meet, satisfy, fulfill, complete, obfuscate, v. 1. confuse, bewilder, muddle, perplex; puzzle, baffle, confound, fluster, Inf. rattle; stupefy, mystify, disconcert, daze, befuddle, dazzle; jumble, mess up, complicate, scramble, garble.
2. obscure, cloud, fog, smoke, nubilate, blur, overshadow; overcloud, obnubilate, dim, bedim, becloud, befog, murk, blear; hide, conceal, cover, blind, camouflage; curtain, drape, veil, shroud, blanket.
3. darken, shadow, shade, darkle, blacken, benight; eclipse, occult, occultate, blot out, brown out, black out; adumbrate, odumbrate, obtenebrate.
obfuscation, n. 1. obscurity, blurriness, fuzziness, unclairty, unclearness, vagueness; haziness, fogginess, mistiness, murkiness; clouding, overclouding, dimming, obnubilation, shadowing, overshadowing; ob-scurement, darkening, blackening, obscuration, obumbration, adumbration.
2. perplexity, bafflement, puzzle, jumble, scramble, complication; mystification, obscurantism, Inf. mum-bo jumbo, confusion; bewilderment, muddle, daze, befuddlement.
3. screen, smokescreen, cloud, dust, pall; curtain, shadow, fog, mist, frost, smoke, film; cover, camouflage, blanket, drape.
obituary, n. obit, necrology, death notice, object, n. 1. thing, something, anything, it, body, particular, stuff; substantiality, materiality, individuality; phenomenon, article, device, contrivance; substance, element, solid, entity; gadget, item, Fr. quelque chose, bird in hand; creature, being, person, somebody, anybody, individual, Inf. what's-his-name; widget, All Inf. thingumajig, thingumabob, doodad, dohickey, dojigger, jigger, gizmo.
2. subject, matter, issue, thought, subject matter; study, concern, affair, argument.