2. novelty, newness, innovativeness, newfangledness, unprecedentedness, unknownness; freshness, virginity; uniqueness, singularity, specialness, rareness, unusualness, unusuality, uncommonness, extraordinariness; peculiarity, unexpectedness,
originally, adv. 1. by birth, by origin.
2. at first, initially, in the beginning, at the start; from the beginning, from the start, Inf. from the word go, Inf. from day one, Latin, ab ovo, Latin, ab initio, Latin, ab origine.
3. in the first place, primarily, principally, mainly, chiefly; essentially, fundamentally, basically; in essence, in substance, in the main; at core, at heart, at bottom, Fr. au fond.
4. personally, individually, distinctively, singularly, characteristically; uniquely, uncommonly, unusually, peculiarly.
originate, v. 1. emanate, emerge, issue, come; rise, arise, spring, flow; root, stem, grow, sprout, bud, break out, shoot, burst forth; derive, descend, follow, result, be based or grounded on.
2. begin, start, commence, initiate, inaugurate; conceive, germinate, breed, beget, give birth to; create, devise, invent, patent, coin, design, fashion, draft, draw up; compose, contrive, plan, mastermind, concoct; construct, formulate, form, fabricate, make; generate, produce, evolve, develop; introduce, launch, institute, establish, set up, found, occasion, bring about; discover, find.
originative, adj. creative, imaginative. See - original (def 3).
originator, n. initiator, actuator, instigator, agent, starter, mover, prime mover, catalyst, Inf. spark or spark plug; founder, inaugurator, inventor, deviser, organizer; author, architect, conceiver, shaper, designer, idea man, Sl. the brains; creator, maker, producer, begetter, engenderer, parent, mother, father, sire.
ornament, n. 1. decoration, frill, filigree, flourish, flounce, furbelow; tinsel, spangle; bauble, trinket, knickknack, gimcrack, gewgaw, Inf. doodad, Inf fandangle; accessory, attachment.
2. finery, frippery, frills, frills and furbelows, folderol, trumpery, gaudery, fuss, Inf. foofaraw, Sl. jazz.
3. luminary, leading light, star, superstar, Sl. pop star; celebrity, idol, favorite; notable, personage, important person, VIP, great man, somebody, Inf. lion.
4. adornment, decoration, embellishment, trimming, garnish, garnishment, garniture, Archaic, ouch; embroidery, elaboration, trappings, festoons; array, be-dizenment, enrichment, beautification, prettification; emblazonment, emblazonry, illumination; luster, flourish, veneer, gloss, gilt, gilding.
5. sham, pretense, pinchbeck; affectation, pretension, pretentiousness; ostentation, meretriciousness, flamboyance, showiness, show, flashiness, Sl. flash; gaudiness, garishness, tawdriness. ~-v. 6. adorn, decorate, embellish, trim, garnish, furbish, Archaic, dight, Archaic, ouch; embroider, elaborate, festoon, rubricate; array, bedizen, deck, deck out, bedeck, trap, trap out, caparison; dress, dress up, attire, accouter; spangle, bespangle, stud, bestud, beset; emblazon, blazon, illuminate, paint, color, bedaub; gild, varnish, trick out, emboss, enchase.
7. beautify, prettify, fix up, prink, Inf spruce up, Inf. pretty up, Inf. trick up.
8. enhance, enrich; intensify, deepen, heighten, brighten; set off, set off to advantage; glorify; grace, dignify, bring honor, Brit. Dial, mense.
ornamental, adj. 1. decorative, decorating, embellishing, adorning, garnishing, ornamenting; sightly, fair, attractive, graceful, enhancing, becoming, agreeable.