sheen, n. luster, burnish, shine, polish, gloss, glow; gleam, glimmer, glint, glitter, sparkle, twinkle, shimmer; brightness, brilliance, dazzle, radiance, luminousness, lambency, refulgence, effulgence; opalescence, incandescence.
sheepish, adj. 1. embarrassed, ashamed, shamefaced, blushing; bashful, shy, timid, timorous, backward, hesitant, retiring, shrinking, unobtrusive, unostentatious; diffident, abashed, modest, reserved, restrained, self-conscious, unconfident, Scot. and North Eng. blate; coy, demure, meek, modest, unassuming.
2. docile, passive, gentle, mild, subdued; manipulatable, manipulable, tractable, malleable, ductile, pliable, pliant, manageable, Scot. tawie; compliant, complying, amenable, cooperative, accommodating, agreeable, willing, disposed; nonresistant, obedient, biddable, dutiful, responsive.
sheer1, adj. 1. transparently thin, diaphanous, translucent, filmy, gossamer, gossamery; naked, clear, crystal, glassy, hyaline.
2. simple, plain, pure, unadulterated, unmixed, unalloyed, unmingled; homogeneous, uniform; elemental, elementary.
3. utter, downright, absolute, unqualified, complete, out-and-out, total, veritable, unconditional, rank.
4. steep, precipitous, bluff, abrupt, sharp, bold, stiff, arduous; perpendicular, vertical, upright, straight up and down; acclivitous, ascending, uphill; declivitous, descending, downhill.
-adv. 5. clear, completely, quite, totally, entirely.
6. steeply, abruptly, vertically, perpendicularly, precipitously.
-n. 7. gauze, chiffon, voile, netting; cloud, mist, veil, film.
sheer2, v. 1. go off course, change the heading, deviate, yaw, stray, drift; swerve, sag, skew; turn, turn aside, cant, twist, shift, bear off, slue, veer; lurch, list, heel, tilt.
-n. 2. deviation, divergence, swerve, swerving, turning aside, turning; drift, deflection, skew, twist.
3. (of a ship's hull) curve, swoop, angle, pitch, warp,
sheet, n. 1. bedsheet, linen, bed linen, bedding, bedclothes, bedclothing, fitted sheet, contour sheet, sheeting.
2. layer, lamina, overlay, surface, covering, coating, coat, blanket; veneer, facing, revetment, facade; patina, plating, plate, film, scale, scum, pellicle, skin, integument; sheathing, wrapping; drop cloth, ground cloth, groundsheet.
3. plate, panel, pane; slab, foil.
4. sail, canvas, mainsail, jib, spinnaker.
5. piece of paper, leaf, folio; page, recto, verso.
6. newspaper, paper, tabloid, SI. tab, SI. scandal sheet, SI. rag; journal, gazette; periodical, daily, weekly, monthly; flyer, circular, throwaway.
7. expanse, stretch, reach, span, range, sweep; field, spread, curtain.