crook; Inf. hold-up man, Sl. stick-up man, armed robber; safecracker, Jimmy Valentine; housebreaker, Sl. cracksman, Brit, picklock, Raffles, sneak thief, cat burglar, Inf second-story man.
5. petty thief, Sl. ripoff, pilferer, filcher, shoplifter, Sl. ganef; pickpocket, cutpurse, purse-snatcher, Sl. dip.
bandy, v. 1. throw, toss, toss about, pass, rally, shuffle; exchange, trade, swap, barter, chaffer, dicker; interchange, transpose, change hands, reciprocate.
-adj. 2. bowed, curved, crooked, bent, twisted, askew, awry, misshapen; bowlegged, bowkneed.
bane, n. 1. ruin, ruination, destruction, death, disaster, tragedy, evil; calamity, mishap, injury, harm; detriment, wrong, trouble, nuisance, pest, spoiler; plague, scourge, curse, nightmare* Fr. bete noire.
2. bale, misery, woe, sorrow, grief, dolor, anguish, despair; pain, distress, affliction, torment.
3. poison, toxicant, toxin, venom; contamination, pollution, taint, infection, virus.
baneful, adj. 1. destructive, ruinous, pernicious, disastrous, calamitous; injurious, harmful, hurtful, damaging, detrimental, deleterious; tragic, evil, bad, sinister, threatening.
2. poisonous, toxic, venomous, noxious; lethal, deadly, morbific, fatal.
3. baleful, woeful, sorrowful, grievous, dolorous; anguished, pained, distressed, afflicted, tormented.
bang1, n. 1. explosion, boom, crash, report, shot, burst, discharge, salvo; clap, thunderclap, peal; whang, clangor, clang, clash; thump, plump, thud, Inf. whomp.
2. stroke, hit, smack, rap, knock, buffet, blow, cuff, box, Inf. wallop; slam, slap, whack, thwack, Inf. whop, Inf. bat, Inf lick, Sl. smackeroo, Sl. sock.
3. energy, vitality, spirit, life, verve, pep; vigor, lustiness, virility, vim, Inf. zip.
4. U.S. Slang, thrill, excitement, joy, enjoyment, fun; boost, lift, Inf. kick, Inf. boot, Inf. clout, Sl. charge.
-v. 5. strike, beat, pound, hammer, stroke, hit, whack, smite, thwack; bump, thump, plump, thud.
6. bat, slam, batter, lay on, pommel, pummel, Sl. paste, Archaic, belabor; punch, Sl. sock, Sl. punch out, Sl. slug; knock, cuff, buffet, drub, box, Inf. whop, Inf. clout, Inf. wallop, Sl. poke, Sl. take a poke at, Sl. conk, Sl. bash, Sl. belt, U. S. Sl. biff, Sl. bop, Sl. zap; cudgel, bludgeon, baste, club.
7. explode, burst, boom, report, shoot, shoot off or out, blow up, pop; implode, collapse, cave in; crash, smash, break, knock, thump; sound, clang, clangor, peal, clap, jangle, ring, resound, echo, reecho.
8. bang up damage, wreck, smash up, dent, Sl. total, bend, mar, flaw; maul, manhandle, rough up, Inf. give it to, Sl. knock around or about, Sl. give [s.o.] what for, Sl. work over, Sl. let [s.o.] have it, Sl. lay into, beat or beat up, slam around, beat [s.o.] black and blue. -adv. 9. suddenly, loudly, abruptly, violently; all of a sudden, quicker than a flash, without any warning; thump, crash, Sl. pow, Inf. slam-bang. 10. directly, precisely, Inf smack, Inf. smack-dab, on the nose, on the spot, on the button, right on the button, on center, on target.
bang2, n. fringe, forelock, cowlick, bangs,
bangle, n. bracelet, wristlet, circlet, anklet, armlet; ornament, trinket, gewgaw.
banish, v. 1. exile, expatriate, proscribe, relegate, outlaw, deport, transport; unbrock, excommunicate, disfellow, disenfranchise; oust, eject, cast out, throw out, expel; discharge, drum out, cashier, Sl. bounch,