2. fuse, merge, amalgamate, consolidate, coalesce; combine, unite, join.
3. comprise, compose, constitute, hold, contain; embrace, encompass, incorporate, assimilate, admit, take in, comprehend. embolden, v. encourage, enhearten, hearten, reassure, assure, raise hope, cheer, root, bear up, buoy, buoy up, Inf. chirk, Inf pat on the back; stimulate, animate, whet, motivate, inspire, inspirit, nerve, pluck up, build up, buck up, rally, revive, boost, boost up, invigorate, awaken, pep up, Inf peptalk, SI. give a shot in the arm to; impel, induce, compel, constrain, press; excite, arouse, rouse, inflame, enflame, fire up, stir up, Inf psyche up. embosom, v. 1. enfold, wrap up, enwrap, envelop; enclose, surround, encircle, encompass; bury, hide, conceal, secrete.
2. embrace, hug, snuggle, clutch, cuddle, caress; take in one's arms, hold close, hold.
3. cherish, hold dear, value, prize, appreciate; foster, nurse, nurture, take care of, shelter, protect. emboss, v. ornament in relief, boss, chase, enchase, engrave, raise, fret, tool; sculpture, carve, embrace, v. 1. take into one's arms, hug, squeeze, clasp, press to one's bosom, embosom, enfold; hold in one's arms, caress, cuddle, snuggle, nestle, nuzzle; SI. clinch, grab, snatch, clutch, grasp, hold onto, grip, cling to.
2. welcome, receive warmly, take in, accept, adopt.
3. avail oneself of, use, make use of, employ; take, grab, grasp, seize, jump at.
4. survey, scan, see, take in, drink in, absorb, understand, comprehend.
5. encircle, surround, encompass, gird, girdle, enclose, hem in; envelop, engulf, enfold, enwrap, wrap, swathe.
6. include, hold, contain, comprise, comprehend, embody, incorporate; cover, deal with, provide for. -n. 7. hug, squeeze, clasp, bear hug, tight embrace, SI. clinch; hold, grasp, grip, clutch, grab, snatch. embroider, v. embellish, elaborate, enlarge on, exaggerate, overstate, stretch, heighten, puff; dress up, adorn, color, paint, varnish, gild; blow up, Inf pile it on; fabricate, invent, prevaricate, lie, fib. embroidery, n. 1. needlework, needlepoint, crossstitch; tatting.
2. elaboration, embellishment, exaggeration, expansion, amplification, hyperbole, overstatement; stretching the imagination or the truth, coloring, distortion, strain; yarn, tall story, Inf. fish story, Inf. whopper, embroil, v. 1. trouble, disturb, agitate, vex, rankle, discompose, discommode; rouse, ferment, ruffle, unsettle, upset; estrange, disunite, split up, set at variance or odds, pit one against another, set at sixes and sevens.
2. confuse, perplex, confound, muddle, befuddle, entangle, enmesh, mix up, complicate, ensnarl; involve, implicate, inculpate, incriminate, embarrass, compromise, Inf. get into hot water, Inf. get into trouble, Inf. put [s.o.'s] head in the noose or on the block, embroilment, n. 1. discord, strife, quarrel, difference of opinion, dissension; contention, disturbance, squabble, squall, commotion, imbroglio, uproar; rumpus, fracas, scrimmage, donnybrook, tumult.
2. confusion, perplexity, distraction, disorder, derangement; complication, trouble, muddle, mix up; implication, involvement, embranglement, entanglement, Inf mess, Inf. a heap of trouble.