one's fingers to the bone; slave away, grub, sweat, peg away at, push oneself; exert oneself, be busy, be industrious, exercise, practice, make efforts; fag, work away at, strain oneself, keep trying, spare no effort, take pains; ply the oar, set one's shoulder to the wheel, Inf. knock oneself out, keep one's nose to the grindstone, Sl.
kill oneself, struggle, Sl.
beat one's brains out; do double duty, do one's utmost, do one's best, strain one's nerve, force oneself, Inf. plug away at; plod along, strive, contend, vie, endeavor.
11. be employed, earn one's livelihood, ply one's trade, occupy oneself with, have a job, hold down a job; follow a trade, do business, practice a profession.
12. operate, run, function, go, act, perform, Inf. fly; have effect, play, have influence; carry on, get on, move.
13. use, manage, ply, wield, handle, maneuver, manipulate; make go, conduct, deal with, drive, direct, steer; utilize, employ, turn to account, put to use, adhibit, bring into play; apply, treat, take care of, see to.
14. effect, accomplish, cause, make, do, bring about; produce, effectuate, realize, fulfill, attain; engender, beget, bring to effect, implement, put through, carry off, Inf. bring off, Inf. pull off; enact, execute, compass, discharge, dispatch, take care of.
15. influence, persuade, induce, sway, bend, turn, move; incline, predispose, affect, lead, bias; wear down, bend to one's will, make oneself felt, soften up.
work in put in, enter, insert, inject, interpose,
introduce; edge in, wedge in, move in, foist in, worm in; implant, interpolate, interject, sandwich in, stick in.
work off dispose of, lose, undo, get off; exercise, sweat off, run off, walk off.
work on coax, wheedle, cajole, pester, nag, Sl. bug; press, importune, urge, Inf. pressure, blandish, dun, push.
work out a. resolve, solve, figure out, unrid dle, clear up; crack, decode, decipher, unlock; get, do, answer, find out, puzzle out, Sl.
b. add up to, amount to, come to, total up to, be in all, mount to, extend to.
c. develop, elaborate, evolve, pro gress; expand, enlarge, go into, detail, enter into. d. drill, train, exercise, practice; discipline, prepare, prime, break in.
work up excite, stir, rouse, move, incite; whet, spur, quicken, enkindle, inflame, fire up, prompt, impel, instigate, stimulate, foment, animate, arouse.
worker, n. 1. doer, performer, practitioner, operator, actor; agent, operative, perpetrator, executor.
2. laborer, workman, workwoman, workingman, workingwoman, working girl, employee; manual laborer, toiler, moiler; artisan, craftsman, smith, wright, maker, handicraftsman, tradesman; mechanic, master, journeyman, apprentice; jobholder, blue-collar worker, white-collar worker, wage earner, breadwinner, proletarian; hand, hireling, Brit, navvy, common laborer, day laborer; menial, flunky, fag, Sl. working stiff; slave, serf, peon, coolie, migrant worker, grubber, plodder, drudge, hack; busy bee, workhorse, hustler, workaholic.
working, n. 1. operation, action, process, conduct, activity, doing, performance, execution.
2. shaping, molding, modeling.
-adj. 3. operating, functioning, going, running.
workmanship, n. 1. craftmanship, art, artistry, style, style, technique; craft, skill, skillfulness, dexterity, adroitness, expertness, expertise, mastery, masterfulness; talent, genius, gift, knack, flair, touch.