at random haphazardly, casually, arbitrarily; by chance, fortuitously, as it happens, as it chanced, as luck would have it, by a fluke; randomly, incidentally, whichever way the wind blows; unsystematically, irregularly, erratically, indiscriminately, carelessly, aimlessly, purposelessly; fitfully, sporadically, spasmodically, at irregular intervals, off and on, when the mood strikes, when the spirit moves, Inf every now and then, Inf. every once in a while,
range, n. 1. reach, sweep, scope, compass, extent, limit; stretch, margin, latitude; stride, span; scale, register, gamut.
2. rank, class, order, race, species, genus; kind, sort, ilk, variety, Inf lot.
3. row, line, file, string, queue; tier, aisle; series, succession, sequence, run.
4. pasture, pasturage, pastureland, grazing ground, grass, grassland, Scot. shieling; meadow, meadow-land, lea, Archaic, mead.
5. mountain range, chain, sierra, massif.
6. stove, cooking stove, gas or oil or electric stove, oven.
-v. 7. align, line, line up, draw up, rank, order, put or set in order.
8. array, marshal, dispose, distribute; place, fix.
9. classify, categorize, group, pigeonhole, bracket; rate, grade, gradate; break down, subdivide; index, digest, catalogue, file.
10. level or level out, even up, straighten out or up.
11. vary, alternate, fluctuate, vacillate, pass.
12. extend, stretch, stretch out, outstretch, reach, sweep, cover; lie, run, go.
13. traverse, travel over, go or pass over; roam, rove, wander, meander, stray, drift, gad or gad about, wayfare, gallivant, Inf. knock around or about.
14. pasture, put or turn out to pasture, fodder, feed, grass.
ranger, n. 1. forest ranger, forester, Brit, woodman; keeper, warden, warder.
2. commando, shock trooper, storm trooper, U.S. Green Beret, U.S. Navy. Seal, (in czarist Russia) cossack.
3. guerrilla, irregular, bushfighter, U.S. bushwhacker.
4. border patrol, Texas Ranger, Mountie.
rangy, adj. lank, lanky, gangling, gangly, weedy; long-limbed, long-legged, leggy, Inf. all leg or legs.
rank1, n. 1. class, level, stratum, caste; state, station, place, position, standing, status, situation, circumstances; grade, estate, order, range.
2. blood, high birth, nobility, peerage, aristocracy; distinction, eminence, dignity; connection, influence, power, weight, prestige, importance.
3. category, division, section, branch, department; stage, graduation, degree, step; standard, plane.
4. file, line, column, tier, bank; queue, string, thread, swath, procession, train; row, series, sequence.
5. array, alignment, arrangement, classification, organization, assignment.
-v. 6. array, marshal, align, line up, queue up, put in a row, arrange, range.
7. classify, prioritize, dispose, place, group; position, locate, station, establish, set, fix; organize, sort, assort, size; class, type, name, label, tag, ticket, brand; distinguish, rate, grade, graduate; allocate, allot, assign, distribute.
8. outrank, rank above, have supremacy, take precedence; have standing, have weight, be influential, be powerful, be preeminent.