soundlessness, quiet, quietness, quietude, Chiefly Irish, whist, SI. q.t.; peace, peacefulness, peaceableness, calm, calmness, placidity, serenity, tranquility, rest, repose.
2. muteness, Psychiatry, mutism, speechlessness, dumbness, Pathol, aphonia, voicelessness, wordlessness, tonguelessness; incommunicativeness, inexpression, tacitness; dumfounderment, amazement, astonishment.
3. reticence, taciturnity, uncommunicativeness, reserve, reservation; bashfulness, shyness, meekness, timidity, timorousness, diffidence; modesty, constraint, unassertiveness.
4. oblivion, obscurity, privacy; adumbration, shade, darkness.
5. secrecy, secretiveness, suppression, repression, concealment, delitescence, delitescency; stealth, furtiveness, evasion.
-v. 6. still, shush, hush, quiet, Chiefly Brit, quieten; lull, calm, tranquilize; pacify, appease, dulcify, propitiate, reconcile, smooth, soothe, compose; play down, tone down, Inf. soft-pedal; soften, allay, mitigate; ease, assuage, mollify, palliate.
7. moderate, blunt, dull, deaden; temper, decrease, weaken, slacken, lessen, lighten, diminish, abate; settle, alleviate, relieve, slake, quench.
8. repress, suppress, subdue, inhibit, quell, quash, put down, damp, dampen; chasten, restrain, sober; stifle, gag, mute, muffle, smother, Inf. squelch; talk down, Inf squash, Inf. shut up, SI. slap down; muzzle, throttle, choke, strangle; stop, arrest, curb, check, stay, cut off, cut short, prevent, forestall, preclude, put an end to; kill, slay, murder; interrupt, cut in. -interj. 9. be silent, be quiet, be still, quiet, sh, shush, hush, not another word, hold your tongue, whist, hist; All SI. pipe down, shut your mouth, turn it off, can it, shut up, SI. soft.
silent, adj. 1. soundless, quiet, still, stock-still, Chiefly Literary, stilly, noiseless, hushed, inaudible, deathlike; calm, tranquil, sedate, placid, peaceful, pacific, peaceable, reposeful; unruffled, unagitated, undisturbed, untroubled; even, flat, smooth; muffled, muted, dampened, stifled, echoless.
2. speechless, mute, dumb, voiceless, wordless, tongueless; mum.
3. taciturn, reticent, reserved, tight-lipped, closemouthed, close, uncommunicative, unvocal, nonvocal; tongue-tied, bashful, shy, timid, timorous, diffident; modest, retiring, unassertive.
4. unspoken, tacit, understood, implicit; implied, hinted at, suggested, intimated, insinuated; unsaid, unexpressed, unstated, undeclared, unuttered, unarticulated, unmentioned; uninformative, uninformato-ry, uninstructive, unenlightening, unelucidating, une-lucidative; inferred, derived, concluded.
5. inactive, quiescent, passive, idle, dormant, dor-mient, latent; unstirring, reposing, resting, slumbering, hibernating, estivating, (of land) fallow; inert, inanimate, lifeless, dead.
6. not sounded, unvoiced, unpronounced, unvocalized, unintoned, Phonet. aphonic, Phonet. surd.
silhouette, n. outline, delineation, contour, profile; form, shape, figure, configuration, conformation; perimeter, circumference, periphery; shadow, shadowgraph, radiograph, skiagraph.
silken, adj. silklike, silky, sericeous; soft, agreeable to the touch, luxurious, elegant; delicate, fragile, diaphanous, finely textured, smooth, sleek,
silly, adj. 1. absurd, inane, pointless, fatuous; foolish, Inf damfool, Inf damfoolish, senseless, nonsensical, Scot. and North Eng. glaikit, tomfoolish,