newcomer, n. 1. new arrival, arrival, immigrant, emigrant, comer, incomer, naturalized citizen, alien; entrant, settler, colonist; outsider, intruder, interloper, ultramontane, barbarian, stranger, (in India and the East) griffin.
2. novice, beginner, amateur, tyro, neophyte; apprentice, learner, trainer, probationer, initiate, novitiate, catechumen; Inf. greenhorn, SI. greenie, fledgling, freshman, SI. jaboney, debutant, SI. deb; recruit, raw recuit, inductee, SI. boot.
3. parvenu, nouveau riche, upstart, arriviste, Latin, novus homo; Inf. Johnny-come-lately, new boy, new boy in town, new face.
newfangled, adj. modern, contemporary, recent; novel, imaginative, different. See - new (defs. 1, 4-6). newfashioned, adj. fashionable, smart, chic. See - new (def. 3).
newly, adv. 1. recently, lately, of late. See - new (def 9).
2. anew, afresh, freshly. See - new (def. 10).
3. modernistically, modernly, futuristically; modishly, fashionably, stylishly, smartly, chicly.
newlywed, n. 1. bride, blushing bride, plighted bride; groom, bridegroom.
2. newlyweds honeymooners, bridal pair, wedded pair, married couple; man and wife, bride and groom, Latin, vir et uxor.
newness, n. 1. recency, recentness, lateness, presentness, nowness; novelty, neoterism, neology, innovation, neonomianism, newfangledness; unusualness, uncommonness, peculiarity, singularity, unfamiliarity, strangeness; uniqueness, originality, inventiveness, creativity.
2. modernization, modernity, modernism, contemporaneity; ultramodernity, ultramodernness, futurism.
3. freshness, pristineness, greenness, callowness, rawness, youthfulness; immaturity, undevelopment, virginity, maidenhood, intactness; mint condition, brand-newness; restoration, renovation, reformation, renaissance.
4. fashionableness, smartness, chicness, stylishness, modishness, SI. hipness, SI. modness; vogue, style, Inf. rage, trend, fashion, mode, SI. the go, Fr. le dernier cri, SI. the thing.
news, n. 1. report, account, statement, publication, announcement, release, press release, news release; message, dispatch, communication, communique', bulletin, Journalism, flash or news flash.
2. information, Inf. info, intelligence, data, facts, inside facts or information, Inf. lowdown, Inf. scoop, SI. dope; talk, rumor, buzz, whisper, Inf. scuttlebutt, Inf. hearsay, Archaic, bruit; gossip, idle talk, tittle-tattle, scandal, dirt.
3. word, notification, advice; tidings, glad tidings, good news; bad news.
4. newscast, broadcast, radiobroadcast, radio program; telecast, television program.
5. copy, good copy, story, news item, hot item, big news, front-page news.
6. newspaper, paper, gazette. See - newspaper, newscast, n. 1. broadcast, radiobroadcast, radio program; telecast, television program; nightly or evening news; Inf. news roundup or roundup, Inf. news wrap-up or wrap-up.
2. report, account, release; dispatch, bulletin. See - news (def. 1).