literate; book club member, magazine subscriber.
2. primer, hornbook, battledore, abecedary, text, textbook, manual.
3. editor, copy editor, copyreader, proofreader, copyholder; first reader, second reader, reviewer; researcher, searcher, browser.
4. elocutionist, reciter, lecturer, lector, prelector, readily, adv. 1. quickly, promptly, swiftly, apace, speedily, SI. pronto; immediately, at once, instantly; in no time, without delay, right away, straightaway; at short notice, at the drop of a hat, on the spur of the moment, offhand, extempore.
2. easily, without difficulty, swimmingly, with no effort, effortlessly, hands-down, smoothly, with one hand tied behind one's back.
3. willingly, Archaic, aptly, in a ready manner, ungrudgingly, graciously, nothing loath, without reluctance; with pleasure, freely, gladly, lief, Archaic. fain, with good or right good will, with good grace; cheerfully, happily, joyously; with all one's heart, zealously, with open arms, heart and soul. readiness, n. 1. preparedness, preparation, ripeness, maturation, maturity, fitness; vigilance, alertness, wariness.
2. promptness, promptitude, punctuality; quickness, haste, alacrity, rapidity, dispatch, address.
3. willingness, cheerful consent, agreement, concurrence, affirmation, approval; acquiescence, compliance, acceptance; geniality, cordiality, good will, cheerfulness, gladness; inclination, tendency, propensity, predilection, leaning, bias, turn, bent; enthusiasm, eagerness, avidity, ardor, fervor; pleasure, desire, wish, mind, will.
4. facility, finesse, expertness, proficiency, efficiency; skill, ability, knack; dexterity, adroitness, agility, nimbleness; ingenuity, cleverness, versatility. reading, n. 1. perusal, study, examination, scrutiny, inspection, survey, review, look-through, scan, browsing, skimming; research, search, quest, inquiry, exploration, studying, Inf. grinding, Inf. boning, Inf. cramming.
2. interpretation, construction, version, conception, impression; apprehension, understanding, consideration; amplification, explanation, explication, illumination, elucidation, analysis; grasp, comprehension, seeing or understanding, diagnosis, decipherment, decoding, cracking, unlocking.
3. rendering, recitation, delineation, rendition, representation, declamation; lection, prelection, pericope; lesson, instruction, lecture, homily, sermon.
4. printed matter, print, reading matter, literature, readings; text, edition; assignment, exercise, task, homework.
5. acquirements, enlightenment, attainments, learning, body or store of knowledge, scholarship, erudition. readjust, v. adjust again, rearrange, reorganize; accommodate, adapt, readapt, accord; assimilate, integrate, reintegrate; harmonize, reconcile, square; balance, poise, equalize; regulate, fix, set, reset; join, fit together, Carpentry, dovetail; put back, replace; return to a former status, reestablish, restore. ready, adj. 1. prepared, primed, all set, set, in readiness, Latin, semper paratus, Latin, animis opibusque parati; in condition, fit, in shape, in practice, on one's toes; up to, equal to; mature, ripe, seasoned; equipped, booted and spurred, fitted out, furnished; in working order, Inf. all systems go; in the saddle, in harness, in gear; well-stocked, well-provided, armed.
2. willing, agreeable, Inf. game, content, consenting, acquiescent, concurrent, assenting; happy, eager, keen, glad, cheerful, delighted, enthusiastic; gracious, cordial, genial; inclined, disposed, given, prone, predisposed, minded, well-disposed; apt, likely.