implore, v. appeal to, beg, beseech, entreat, obsecrate, plead, Brit. Inf. prig, pray, crave; ask, request, seek; call upon, invoke, pray to; petition, solicit, supplicate, obtest, adjure, conjure, Rare, sue; urge, press, importune, insist, demand.
imply, v. 1. involve, entail, presuppose, suppose, presume, assume, include, depend on, point to.
2. signify, express, mean, import, denote, connote, betoken.
3. intimate, suggest, infer, hint, Inf. give to understand, insinuate, Inf. put a bug in [s.o.'s] ear; clue, Inf. tip off, cue, prompt; jog one's memory, signal, Inf. give a high sign, wink; breathe, whisper; allude to, advert, refer, indicate.
impolite, adj. rude, discourteous, uncivil, unceremonious, unmannerly, bad-mannered, ill-bred, disrespectful, misbehaved; indelicate, uncourtly, ungallant, indecorous, ungracious; ungentlemanly, unladylike, brash, bold, hoydenish, Scot. randy; brazen, barefaced, insolent, impudent, insulting, impertinent, pert, saucy, fresh; bluff, surly, sullen, bearish, gruff; inconsiderate, tactless, Scot. and North Eng. misleared; abrupt, blunt, brusque, curt, clipped, short; rough, crude, boorish, churlish, loutish, vulgar, coarse.
impolitic, adj. 1. inexpedient, unshrewd, disadvantageous, unprofitable, undesirable, unfavorable, detrimental, harmful; inadvisable, unadvised, unadvisable, ill-advised, unrecommendable, unrecommended, mis-counseled, misguided; inappropriate, unsuitable, ill-suited, wrong.
2. injudicious, ill-judged, unwise, unsage, unsaga-cious; imprudent, ill-considered, inconsiderate, tactless, thoughtless, senseless; indiscreet, short-sighted, incautious, uncircumspect; careless, temerarious, rash, hasty, overhasty, reckless, hot-headed, foolhardy.
imponderable, adj. 1. inconsiderable, uncontem-platable, ungraspable, hard to grasp, unapprehensible, hard to understand, unponderable; incomprehensible, inconceivable, unthinkable, unimaginable, beyond the human mind; subtle, tenuous, attenuated, rarefied; abstract, ethereal, immaterial, airy, vaporous, gaseous, pneumatic.
2. unweighable, unmeasurable, inestimable; un-weighty, insubstantial, unsubstantial, light, light as a feather or thistle down, weightless; minute, microscopic, minuscule, minute, imperceptible.
import, v. 1. introduce, bring into the country, present, carry.
2. convey, portend, mean, denote; purport, signify, symbolize, betoken, mark, indicate; connote, imply, intimate, suggest, allude, drive at.
3. carry weight, be of import or importance, have meaning; count, make a difference, matter, be of consequence; concern, be of concern or interest. -n. 4. foreign commodity, foreign-made article, goods or merchandise from abroad, importation, nondomestic commodity.
5. meaning, purport, denotation, sense, gist, essence, pith, core, heart, sum and substance, intent, intention; connotation, implication, inference, intimation, illation, allusion, suggestion.
3. importance, significance, signification, portent, matter, salient point, value; moment, substance, weight, weightiness, gravity, force; consequence, result, effect, issue, issuance, upshot, outcome, turnout, sequel; fallout, aftermath, aftereffect, afterclap, wake, repercussion; corollary, concomitant, attendant.
importance, n. 1. significance, consequence, matter, value, account, concern, Archaic, concernment; moment, weight, weightiness, substance, greatness, magnitude, force; gravity, graveness, heaviness, seriousness, solemnity; priority, precedence, press, urgency, emergentness.