sapiens, humanity, humankind.
specific, adj. 1. exact, precise, pointed; made for, aimed for, directed toward, appropriate for, right for, good for; only good for or with, only effective on or with, only works on; pertinent to, apposite to, bearing upon, regarding, in respect to; symptomatic, diagnostic, signal, signaling, indicative, marking, designative, Med. diacritic.
2. explicit, express, well-defined, defined, definitive, delineated, detailed, stated, spelled or written out; circumscribed, conditional, qualified, restricted, limited, bounded; plain, obvious, manifest; clear, clear-cut, unambiguous, unequivocal, indisputable.
3. specified, established, fixed, set, determined, determinate, decided upon; unalterable; particular, certain, definite; distinct, distinguished, different, discrete, separate, distinguishable, identifiable.
4. special, especial, singular, unique, one of a kind, original; own, various, diverse, chosen; characteristic, typical, usual, normal, customary, regular, expected; intrinsic, innate, inherent, inborn, concomitant, accompanying, side, found with or in, occuring with or in; peculiar, quirkish, idiosyncratic, idiocratic, idiocratical; unduplicated, unmatched, uncommon, unusual, unconventional, rare; strange, odd, curious, outlandish, freakish.
specification, n. 1. itemization, listing, list, checklist, enumeration, numeration, inventory; register, roll, attendance, muster, muster roll, roster, beadroll; catalog, index, table of contents, directory.
2. description, detailing, sketch, depiction, picture, portrayal, portraiture; delineation, outline, syllabus, reading list, program, schedule, agenda, slate, docket, Sports, line-up; articulation, recitation, report, detailed statement; clarification, explanation, exposition.
3. particular, particularity, item, specific, Inf. spec; detail, feature, aspect, component, ingredient, element; article, point, line item; number, entry, note; consideration, condition, stipulation, requirement, qualification, restriction.
specify, v. 1. itemize, enumerate, number, numerate, list, name or mention one by one or one at a time or individually, name, mention, cite, call off, call roll, poll; identify, indicate, point out, designate; catalog, make a list of, count, account for, take stock of, take account of, check off, go over, run over or through; analyze, differentiate, distinguish among, rank; determine, ascertain, decide on, select, choose, pick, appoint, assign.
2. detail, spell out, delineate, outline, set out; articulate, make clear, clarify, explain, express or give one's thoughts or feelings on, speak of, make known, bring out.
3. define, establish, determine, fix, set, lay down, prescribe; characterize, depict, describe, paint, portray, represent, render, illustrate, exemplify; distinguish, make distinctive, set apart or off; label, brand, tag, call, term, denominate, name, christen, baptize, entitle; style, stylize, fashion, design, lay out, plan.
4. qualify, restrict, delimit, limit, set limits or boundaries, bound, mark out or off, circumscribe, demarcate; stipulate, condition, make stipulations or conditions, require, insist upon, list requirements or qualifications, Law. provide; arrange for, agree upon, contract upon.
specimen, n. sample, example, exemplar, instance, Archaic, ensample; specific, case, case in point, Inf. for instance, typical situation, illustration, exemplification;; representative, exponent, Biol, type; sampling, taste, bite, sip, look, peek, idea; piece, cutting, slip, scion, swatch; (in medicine, microbiology, etc.) slide, Biol, culture.