-n. 2. license, authorization, warrant, authority, sanction; card, passport, visa, safe-conduct; patent, copyright; charter, edict, order, declaration, official document.
3. permission, leave, license, franchise, consent. See - permission (def. 2).
permitted, adj. allowed, lawful, admissible. See - permissible.
permutability, n. alterability, changeability, variability; mutability, changeableness, convertibility, mod-ifiability, adaptability; interchangeability, commuta-bility, exchangeability.
permutable, adj. changeable, alterable, mutable, modifiable, alterative, convertible; adjustable, adaptable; interchangeable, commutable, exchangeable, returnable.
permutation, n. alteration, transformation, transposition, translocation, Physiol, metastasis, metathesis; mutation, metabolism, metamorphosis, translation; transubstantiation, consubstantiation, transanimation, transmogrification.
permute, v. alter, change, mutate, turn into; translate, metamorphose, convert, transform, modify; transfigure, metabolize, transubstantiate, consubstantiate, transmogrify.
pernicious, adj. 1. ruinous, destructive, damaging, fell, baleful; injurious, hurtful, harmful, baneful, dangerous, bad; deleterious, detrimental, unwholesome, insalubrious, nocuous.
2. lethal, deadly, fatal, mortal, deathly, killing; tox ic, poisonous, venomous, virulent, septic; noxious, malicious, malign, malignant; noisome, mephitic, pestilent, pestiferous.
perorate, v. 1. speak at length, discourse, expatiate, descant; orate, lecture, preach, sermonize; elocutionize, Inf. elocute, harangue, rant; Inf. spout, SI. run off at the mouth, drool, Inf. spiel; flourish, go on and on, out-herod Herod; speechify, hold forth, declaim, tub-thump, rodomontade; take to the hustings, take the floor, climb on the soapbox.
2. summarize, sum up, conclude, bring to a conclusion, close, end, Inf. wind up; recapitulate, recap, recount, regurgitate.
peroration, n. 1. recapitulation, recapping, recount; summation, summary, conclusion, close, closing; closing words, closing or concluding remarks, last words, parting shot.
2. address, talk, speech, discourse, disquisition; oration, elocution, monologue; sermon, lecture, preachment, homily; harangue, declamation; exhortation, tirade, jeremiad, diatribe, philippic, Inf pep talk.
peroxide, n. 1. hydrogen peroxide, bleach, oxidizing agent, bleaching agent, blanching agent.
-v. 2. (all in reference to the hair) bleach, blanch, SI. blond; whiten, yellow, silver, frost, Inf streak; decolor, achromatize; (loosely) dye.
perpendicular, adj. 1. vertical, on end, upright, at right angles to, right-angular, Geom. at 90 degrees to; plumb, straight, straight-up-and-down, up-and-down; bolt-upright, standing, standing upright.
2. steep, sharp, sheer, precipitous; abrupt, bold, craggy, high.
-n. 3. upright, vertical, plumb, plumb line, perpendicular line or plane; straight angle.
4. rectitude, morality, moral uprightness, virtue, integrity, uncorruptibility; equity, fairness, honesty,