hell, Sl. break a leg.
7. plug in connect, loop in, charge, put in, stick in. plumage, n. feathers, feathering, plumosity, down, Ornithol. mantle, (of a hawk) mail; panache, hackle, tuft, crest, tussock, topknot, plumb, n. 1. lead, weight, plummet, plumb bob, bob, sinker.
-adj. 2. true, right, perpendicular, vertical, straight, square; level, erect, straight up and down, flush.
3. Informal, absolute, utter, unmitigated, outright, perfect, consummate; downright, thorough, pure, total, complete. -adv. 4. perpendicularly, vertically, up and down, straight up and down; square, squarely, at right angles.
5. Informal, absolutely, completely, totally, utterly, fully; stark, sheer, plain, clean, quite, wholly.
-v. 6. sound, fathom, measure, mark, gauge; take soundings, plumb-line, plumb the depths.
7. examine, inspect, scrutinize, probe, search out, investigate; delve into, dig into, poke into, go into, explore; ferret out, root out, get to the bottom of. plume, n. 1. feather, quill, pinion, egret, aigrette; All Ornithol. plumule, penna, covert, tectrix, remex, scapular.
2. feather, aglet, aiguillette, bow, ribbon, knot; panache.
-v. 3. Usu. plume oneself on pride oneself, congratulate oneself, pat oneself on the back, hug oneself; puff, crow, boast, flourish; gloat, brag, vaunt; exult, glory, revel, delight, rejoice. plummet, v. dive, nosedive, dip, go down; fall, drop, collapse. See plunge (def. 2). plump1, adj. 1. fleshy, fattish, fat, portly, stout, round, rotund; well-rounded, filled out, well-fed, rounded, ample, Scot. fodgel; moonish, chubby, tubby, podgy, pudgy; paunchy, Inf. chunky, dumpy, squat, squatty, pursy; round-faced, moon-faced, roly-poly; well-proportioned, full-bodied, lusty, zaftig; top-heavy, bosomy, Inf. busty; hippy, beamy, Inf. broad in the beam, steatopygous.
-v. 2. fatten, fat, puff up, blow up, distend, fluff up, shake up. plump2, v. 1. drop, fall, plummet, plunge, nosedive; sink, collapse, descend, fall headlong, pitch; thump, slap, clump, crump.
2. deposit, set down, plop, plunk, plank; swoop, swoop down, pounce, stoop, lunge, sprawl.
3. Often plump out blurt, utter, let fall, spill; announce, declare, come out with, proclaim; divulge, give away, speak out, Sl. spill the beans, Sl. let the cat out of the bag.
-n. 4. fall, dive, dip, slip, plop, plunk; thump, crump, clump, clunk, thud; drop, collapse, descent, nosedive, crash dive, skydive, plunge. -adv. 5. precipitously, unexpectedly, suddenly, all of a sudden, of a sudden, all at once; pop, bang, plunk, plop, bing, zap; surprisingly, without warning, out of the blue, like a thunderbolt, on short notice.
6. directly, bluntly, forthright, abruptly, point-blank; to the point, not beating around the bush, not pulling any punches, straight from the shoulder.
7. squarely, plumb, full, right, straight; smack, smack-dab, plunk, kerplunk; exactly, directly, precisely.
-adj. 8. blunt, forthright, abrupt, plain, downright; direct, straight, straightforward, forward, matter-of-fact.