clinch, clamp, vice, brace, bracket; cotter, dowel, miter; stick, stick on, bond, cement, glue, solder, weld, fuse.
2. enclose, envelop, encircle; box in, hem in, shut in, case in, cage, confine; coop up, pen up, bolt or bar in.
3. aim, point, direct, draw or get a bead on; sight, focus, zero in on, beam; position, mark, train.
4. seize, take hold, catch hold, snatch, grab; cling, cleave, hold onto for dear life; clutch, clench, grip, grasp.
fastening, n. clasp, hook, catch, clip, snap, hook and eye, button, fastener; latch, lock, padlock, bar, bolt, hasp; pin, buckle, agraffe; clamp, vise, brace; tie, link, bond, vinculum, nexus; hinder, holder, connector, copula, yoke; rope, chain, tether; nail, dowel, tack, screw, clincher, rivet, staple, holdfast, peg, spike.
fastidious, adj. 1. hard to please, critical, difficult; overcritical, hypercritical, overdemanding, overexacting; fussy, finicky, overparticular, finical, meticulous; picky, Inf. choosy, dainty, Inf. fuddy-duddy, Inf. pernickety.
2. overfastidious, overnice, overdelicate; affected, coxcombical, foppish, dapper, dandy,
fat, adj. 1. obese, overweight, flabby, stout, portly, pursy, corpulent, Scot. fodgel; chubby, tubby, pudgy, plump; round, rounded out, rotund; fleshy, well-fed; paunchy, potbellied, roundbellied, big-bellied, large-bellied, great-bellied, abdominous, Inf baywin-dowed, Inf. corporational, SI. beer-bellied, Obs. gorbeltied.
2. large, bulky, hulky, hulking; massive, gross, ponderous, gargantuan, elephantine; lumpy, lumpish; heavy, beefy, brawny, burly, sturdy.
3. fatty, greasy, suety, tallowy; blubber, blubbery, adipose, pinguid, lardaceous, sebaceous; oily, oleaginous, unctuous; buttery, butyraceous; soapy, saponaceous.
4. fertile, rich, lush, productive, teeming, fruitful; plentiful, abundant, plenteous, copious, flush; bountiful, well-stocked, well-supplied, well-furnished, replete.
5. well-paying, profitable, lucrative, remunerative.
6. wealthy, prosperous, affluent, moneyed, comfortable, well-to-do, well-off, Inf. well-heeled.
7. thick, broad, extended, extensive, expanded, voluminous; big, ample, immense.
8. dull, stupid, sluggish, obtuse, doltish, weak-minded, thickheaded, slow-witted, dull-witted, fat-witted.
-n. 9. fat cell, fatty tissue, adipose tissue; fatness, obesity, obeseness, corpulence, corpulency, Fr. embonpoint, Pathol, adiposis; chubbiness, tubbiness, paunchiness, pudginess, plumpness, roundedness, rotundity; portliness, stoutness, burliness; hulk, bulk.
10. riches, wealth, fortune, affluence, plenty, plenitude, bounty, abundance; opulence, splendor, luxury, lavishness; superfluity, overabundance, excess, overplus, surplus, surplusage, redundancy.
11. lard, tallow, suet, Zool. blubber; butter.
-v. 12. fatten, batten, increase; plump, fill out. See - fatten (defs. 1, 3).
fatal, adj. 1. deadly, lethal, mortal, mortiferous, deathful, Archaic, lethiferous; venomous, virulent, toxic, morbific; fell, baneful, mephitic, viperous, poisonous, Archaic, venenose.
2. destructive, ruinous, annihilative, calamitous, disastrous, catastrophic, cataclysmic, extirpative; killing, slaughtering, slaughterous, suicidal, murderous, death-dealing, internecine, internecive; pernicious, dangerous, hazardous, deleterious, detrimental; harmful, injurious, nocuous, hurtful, nocent, baleful, noisome; noxious, malicious, malign, malignant, menacing; pestilential, pestiferous, infective, infectious, pestilent, contaminative, contagious, leprous, septic.