2. commandeering, piracy, sky or air piracy, hijacking, skyjacking; abduction, rape, kidnapping, Sl. snatch, impressment; pillage, plundering, marauding, looting; theft, robbery, stealing.
3. fit, convulsion, Pathol, ictus; spasm, paroxysm, throe; apoplexy, stroke, shock; attack, onset, grip.
seldom, adv. 1. infrequently, rarely, very rarely, seldom if ever, hardly, hardly ever, scarcely, scarcely ever; on rare occasions, occasionally, only now and then, once in a great while, Inf. once in a blue moon, Inf. once in a coon's age.
2. rare, infrequent, occasional, few, scarce.
select, v. 1. choose, pick, hand-pick, pick and choose, Inf. pick out or on, single out, set apart or aside, lay or put aside, place to one side; prefer, show preference, favor; decide upon, settle on or upon, fix upon, make up one's mind, make one's choice, make a selection, opt or opt for; sift, sift out, weed or weed out, sieve out, screen, screen out, cut or cut out; sort, sort out or through; pick over or through, separate the wheat from the chaff, separate the sheep from the goats; distinguish, discriminate, differentiate, draw the line.
-adj. 2. preferred, preferable, preferential, favored, favorite; more desirable, better, worthier, superior; choice, prime, best, finest, first-rate, first-class, Inf. champion, tiptop, A-l, A number 1; elect, singled out, chosen, hand-picked, elite, cream; exceptional, singular, particular, special, extra-special, unique, rare, uncommon; superb, excellent, superlative, supreme, paramount, preeminent.
3. selective, discriminating, discriminatory, particular, picky, Inf. choosy, fussy. See - selective.
4. exclusive, limited, restricted, restrictive, closed, tight.
selection, n. 1. choosing, picking, hand-picking, singling out, setting apart or aside; making up one's mind, settling on, opting for; sifting out, weeding out, screening out, sorting out or through, picking over or through; separating, separation, distinguishment, discrimination, differentiation, drawing the line.
2. choice, pick, preference, option.
3. pericope, extract, excerpt, piece, passage, quotation, quote, citation.
4. assortment, collection, series, line-up, group, bunch, batch, set, lot.
selective, adj. select, discriminating, discriminatory, careful, cautious; particular, picky, Inf. choosy, finicky, finical, fastidious, fussy, Inf. pernickety; hard to please, critical, hypercritical, overcritical, demanding, overpaticular.
self, n. 1. person, individual, being, human being, entity; ego, the I; mind, psyche, consciousness; soul, spirit.
2. nature, character, individuality, personality, selfhood, selfness.
self-abnegation, n. See - self-denial (defs. 1-4).
self-abuse, n. 1. self-reproach, self-reproof, selfchastisement, self-condemnation.
2. masturbation, self-gratification, self-manipulation, self-stimulation, autoeroticism, manustrupra-tion, onanism, self-defilement, Sl. playing with oneself.
self-acting, adj. automatic, automated, self-moving, self-propelling, self-propelled, self-directing, automotive.
self-assurance, n. self-confidence, confidence, as
surance, security. See - self-confidence.
self-assured, adj. self-confident, sure of oneself,
assured, confident. See - self-confident.