lowdown, SI. poop.
4. Slang, dolt, blockhead, Inf. chump, dunce, Inf. dummy, SI. dumbell. See - fool (def. 1). dormant, adj. 1. sleeping, asleep, resting, at rest; hibernating, (of land) fallow, dormient; inactive, lifeless, inert, still, stock-still, silent; motionless, immovable, immobile; unmoving, stationary, becalmed.
2. dull, sluggish, passive, lethargic, stagnant; sleepy, somnolent, slumberous, torpid, torpescent, comatose.
3. latent, implicit, undisclosed, unexpressed, quiescent; potential, undeveloped, unrealized; veiled, hidden, unapparent.
4. suspended, deferred, postponed, in obeyance; pausing, stopping, breaking, waiting, hesitating, hesitant, delaying, abeyant.
dose, n. 1. quantity, portion, measure, draught; swallow, gulp, Inf. shot, Inf. slug, (of dope) SI. hit; daily dose, medicine, medicament; lethal dose, toxic dose, overdose, o.d.
2. Slang, venereal disease, Inf. V.D., gonorrhea, SI. clap.
-v. 3. administer, dispense, dole out, give, apportion; medicate, treat.
dot, n. 1. spot, point, speck, mark, jot; period, decimal point, polka-dot; particle, mote, mite, iota, atom; freckle, pinprick.
2. on the dot on time, precise, punctual, exact, prompt, Inf. on the button; opportune, well-timed; scrupulous, conscientious, careful, meticulous, accurate, literal.
-v. 3. spot, sprinkle, bespeckle, speckle, fleck, stipple, stud, bestud; scatter, distribute, disperse; mark, punctuate, pepper, accent, point up or out, emphasize; pit, pock, freckle, maculate,
dotage, n. 1. senility, old age, superannuation, caducity; decrepitude, infirmity, declining years; second childhood, childishness, anility.
2. foolish fondness, predilection, leaning, fatuity; indulgence, coddlement, pampering,
dote, v. 1. Usu.
dote on idolize, hold dear, prize, treasure, adore, be stuck on; make much of, indulge, spoil, coddle, pamper, lavish on.
2. be in one's second childhood, be feebleminded, be in one's dotage, show one's age; ramble, wander.
doting, adj. 1. indulgent, overgenerous, lavish, extravagant, liberal, obliging, pampering; easygoing, soft, tenderhearted, forbearing, lenient, yielding, lax.
2. senile, anile, infirm, weak, unsound, Inf. dotty; childish, foolish, feeble-minded,
double, adj. 1. equal, equaled, matched, correspondent, comparable; equivalent, commensurate, again as much.
2. duplicate, twin, identical; paired, in pairs, coupled, mated, geminate; dual, duplex; twofold, binal, binate, replicate.
3. folded, bent over, doubled; bifold, biform, biformed, two-ply.
4. deceitful, insincere, two-faced, Janus-faced, hypocritical; double-dealing, false, dishonest, equivocal, guileful, knavish. -adv. 5. twice, by twos, two-by-two, doubly, encore, bis.
-n. 6. duplicate, twin, copy, replica, clone, fac
simile, look-alike; counterpart, match, equal.
7. substitute, Inf. sub, proxy, alternate, fill-in, secondary, locum tenens; stand-in, understudy, Inf. pinch hitter, stunt person.
8. on the double quickly, losing no time, with haste, posthaste; briskly, at full speed, in double-quick time, at full gallop, tantivy; without delay, straightway.