move; industrious, hard-working, enterprising, forceful, strong, high-powered,
peptalk, n. encouragement, buoying up, stimulation, motivation, inspiration; rallying lecture, Inf. half-time talk, Inf. one for the Gipper, inflammatory talk, firing or stirring up, Inf. psyching up.
peptic, adj. digestive, Physiol, assimilative, enzymatic, gastric, stomachic, stomachical.
per, prep, a, the, each, for each, every; through, by.
peradventure, n. 1. uncertainty, hesitation, indecision, undecidedness, irresolution; question, faltering, vacillation, lack of conviction, indefiniteness, indetermination, insecurity; doubt, incertitude, dubiety, dubiousness.
2. guess, conjecture, surmise, supposition, assumption, presumption, guesswork; chance, random shot, pot shot, Inf. shot in the dark, Inf. shot, Sl. crack, Sl. guesstimate.
3. fortune, luck, stroke; accident, fortuity, fluke, inadvertence; cast of the dice, flip of the coin.
perambulate, v. 1. traverse, trek, travel, travel over or through or around, peregrinate; roam, rove, range, tour; walk, foot, tread, pace; make rounds, walk a beat, patrol, Sl. case.
2. stroll, ambulate, go for a walk, take a walk, stretch one's legs; promenade, saunter, amble, ramble, roll, roll along; meander, circumambulate, straggle, gad about, gallivant, traipse,
perceivable, adj. 1. perceptible, appreciable, recognizable, noticeable, discernible, distinguishable, detectable; cognizable, knowable, intelligible, comprehensible, understandable.
2. apparent, seeable, visible; open, in full view, revealed, unconcealed, exposed, showing, unhidden, uncovered, unveiled, naked, bare; conspicuous, observable, well-marked, distinct; plain, clear, evident, obvious, manifest, patent, palpable; plain as day, plain as the nose on one's face, lucid, in focus; prominent, notable, salient, bold.
perceive, v. 1. intuit, sense, feel, find, be conscious of, be aware of; hear, smell, taste; see, see through, see the light, make out, note, spot, sight, catch sight of, catch, glimpse, discern, read, Brit, twig, make heads or tails of; appreciate, Sl. dig, Sl. savvy, Inf. catch on, get the picture, Inf get through one's head, Inf get it, Inf. have it; observe, behold, notice, espy, descry, remark, detect, mark, discover, witness, identify; fathom, penetrate, realize, Inf. lay hold of, gain insight into.
2. apprehend, comprehend, understand, grasp, Archaic. hent; take in, receive, Chiefly Scot. ken; decipher, figure out, ascertain, determine; differentiate, make a distinction, discriminate, judge, distinguish, pick out; apperceive, cognize, recognize, be cognizant of, know; conclude, gather, deduce, derive, infer,
percentage, n. 1. percent, rate per hundred.
2. proportion, ratio, quota, part, share, portion, allotment, dividend.
3. royalty, duty, allowance, commission, factorage, discount, deduction.
4. Informal. Sl. rake-off, Inf. cut, Sl. slice, gain, gains, profit, profits, Inf. take.
perceptible, adj. perceivable, appreciable, recognizable, discernible. See - perceivable (defs. 1, 2). perception, n. 1. understanding, comprehension, apprehension, grasp, mental hold; awareness, consciousness, Obs. conscience, ken, perspicacity, percipience, sagacity, wisdom, knowing, knowledge, intelligence; cognition, discernment, cognizance, enlightenment.
2. sensation, sense, feeling, intuition, impression; realization, revelation, insight; instinct, prompting, second sense, divination, clairvoyance, prompting, foreknowledge, foresight, prescience.