2. delusive, deceptive, deceiving, underhanded, illusory, illusive; deceitful, insidious, guileful, fraudulent.
3. illogical, SI. cockeyed, unsound, faulty, flawed; inaccurate, inexact, imprecise, unprecise, inconsistent; unsubstantial, unfounded, ungrounded, groundless, untenable, invalid.
fallacy, n. 1. false or mistaken notion, misconception, misbelief, misapprehension, misjudgment, miscalculation; error, mistake, solecism, heresy; illusion, delusion, bubble, chimera, fantasy.
2. sophistry, sophism, casuistry, Logic, paralogism, Latin, non sequitur.
3. erroneousness, mistakenness, wrongness, fallaciousness.
fallibility, n. imperfection, errability, errancy, liability to error.
fallible, adj. imperfect, errable, errant, error-prone, liable or open to error.
fallout, n. 1. settling, radioactive fallout, Inf. radioactive snow or rain.
2. aftermath, aftereffect, afterclap, outgrowth; consequence, effect, result, outcome, event, issue; wake, backwash, trail, reaction, turnout, repercussion, reverberation.
fallow1, adj. uncultivated, unplowed, untilled, unseeded, unplanted, unsown, unsowed; empty, neglected, unused, idle, dormant, resting, inactive, inert; barren, unproductive, unyielding, unfructuous, unfruitful, fruitless; uncultivable, uncultivatable, exhausted, depleted, worn out, impoverished; poor, bare, bald, arid, dry, waste.
fallow2, adj. pale-yellow, sallow, light-brown, pale-brown, dun, grayish-brown.
false, adj. 1. untrue, untruthful, unveracious, mendacious, devoid of truth, not right; lying, fibbing, perjured, forsworn; fabricative, fabricated, trumped up.
2. erroneous, mistaken, incorrect, amiss, wrong, all wrong, SI. all wet, SI. full of beans or prunes, SI. full of hot air; inaccurate, inexact, imprecise, unprecise; faulty, flawed, unsound, illogical, SI. cockeyed; in error, erring, in the wrong; astray, wide of the mark, Inf. off base, SI. off the beam, SI. at sea, SI. out in left field; off key, off pitch, not in tune.
3. treacherous, traitorous, treasonous, disloyal, perfidious, unfaithful, faithless, inconstant, recreant; insincere, disingenuous, false-hearted, affected, twofaced; dishonest, dishonorable, untrustworthy; Machiavellian, cunning, conniving, double-dealing, wily, sly; cantish, pharisaic, tartuffish, hypocritical.
4. deceptive, deceitful, fallacious, delusive, disappointing; misleading, roundabout, circuitous, hedging, double-tongued; artful, tricky, meretricious, shifty, duplicitous; evasive, ambiguous, equivocal, questionable, dubious, suspicious.
5. counterfeit, forged, fraudulent, imitation, fake, faked, Inf. phony; not genuine, bogus, spurious, supposititious, bastardly; pretended, feigned, simulated, make-believe, sham, flash; unreal, mock, ersatz, synthetic; artificial, factitious, contrived, SI. hokey, fictitious; assumed, put-on, pseudo; specious, theatrical.
falsehood, n. 1. lie, fib, untruth, false statement, mendacity, inveracity; fabrication, fiction, make-believe; canard, false story, hoax; false swearing, perjury; exaggeration, distortion, false coloring; perversion, misstatement, misrepresentation, falsification.
2. deception, deceit, deceptiveness, craftiness, artifice; guile, duplicity, trickery; evasion, ambiguity, concealment; untruthfulness, mendaciousness.