guarantor, n. warrantor, voucher, sponsor, guarantee, bonder, Law. bondsman, Law. bondswoman; insurer, ensurer, indemnitor, Insurance, coverer; covenanter, obligator; endorser, attester, patron, supporter, backer.
guaranty, n. 1. warrant, warranty, guarantee, Obs. vouch; contract, compact, covenant, obligation, engagement, agreement, gentlemen's agreement, handshake; pledge, promise, assurance, word, word of honor, oath, sworn statement, Archaic, plight.
2. collateral, surety, Law. security, earnest, Law. earnest money, deposit; pawn, gage, Insurance, bond, Law. mortgage, Law. mortgage bond, bail, Law. bail bond, Rare, hostage.
3. securing, ensuring, Sl. cinching; warranting, Early Eng. Law. voucher, vouching, endorsement, attestation; assurance, promising, pledging, swearing.
-v. 4. ensure, secure, sponsor, assure, pledge. See - guarantee (defs. 6-8).
guard, v. 1. protect, watch over, stand guard over, police, secure, defend; shield, shelter, screen, cover, cloak; preserve, save, conserve; escort, conduct, convoy, ride shotgun.
2. supervise, hold watch, keep under surveillance; control, keep under guard, govern, constrain, restrain, suppress, repress.
3. keep watch, be alert, be on the qui vive, take care, beware, Inf. be on one's toes, Inf. keep one's nose to the ground, Inf. keep an eye out, Inf. keep one's eyes peeled.
-n. 4. protector, defender, guardian, guarder, guardsman; custodian, watchman, night watchman; sentinel, sentry, picket, patrol, garrison; escort, convoy, safe-conduct; jailer, warder, keeper, turnkey, Sl. screw, Sl. bull; scout, lookout, watchdog.
5. vigilance, heed, care, caution, wariness; watch, close watch, eagle eye, sharp eye.
6. safeguard, defense, protection, security, safety; bulwark, shield, fence, screen; fender, bumper, buffer, cushion, pad; safekeeping, protective custody.
7. off one's guard unwary, unalert, unwatchful, un-vigilant; unprepared, unready; asleep, napping, Inf. not on the job, Sl. goofing off, Sl. looking out the window.
8. on one's guard wary, vigilant, watchful, on the watch, on the lookout, on the qui vive, all eyes and ears; cautious, precautious, careful, heedful, mindful.
guarded, adj. 1. careful, cautious, circumspect, mindful, heedful; on guard, alert, on the alert, on the qui vive, watchful, discreet; wary, chary, leery, apprehensive, suspicious, Inf. cagey; reluctant, loath; reticent.
2. protected, defended, safeguarded, sheltered, shielded; watched over, under surveillance; restrained, under restraint, under control, constrained,
guardian, n. 1. protector, defender, champion, paladin, Fig. knight in shining armor; patron, foster parent.
2. trustee, warden, keeper, custodian, caretaker, curator; steward, fiduciary, Brit, warder, Scot. factor,
guerrilla, n. partisan, irregular, bushfighter, bushwhacker, underground or resistance fighter, jayhawker.
guess, v. 1. conjecture, surmise, estimate, reckon, hypothesize, postulate, Inf. figure, Inf. talk off the top of one's head, Inf. take a stab or shot, Inf. take a shot in the dark, Sl. guesstimate.
2. think, suppose, fancy, believe, imagine; feel, opine, judge, allow, deem, daresay.