LP, soundtrack, disk, disc, wax; cover, jacket, envelope, sheath, casing, case, binder, binding.
3. register, registry, guest book, sign-in book, autograph book, notebook; list, record, documentation, chronicle.
alchemy, n.magic, sorcery, witchcraft, witchery, wizardry; wonder-working, miracle-working, thauma-turgy; black magic, black art, voodoo,
alcohol, n.liquor, spirits, John Barleycorn, the demon rum, Inf.booze, Inf.hard stuff, SI.likker, SI. hooch, SI.sauce, SI.juice, SI.medicine; moonshine, home brew, SI.sneaky pete; firewater, SI.red-eye, SI. rot-gut, SL
blue-ruin, SI.mountain dew, SI.white lightning; the bottle, the cup, the cup that cheers,
alcoholic, adj.1. intoxicating, intoxicant, Archaic. intoxicative, inebriant, inebriating, inebriative. -n. 2. Pathology,
dipsomaniac, chronic alcoholic ordrunk.
3. drunk, drunkard, inebriate, sot, soak, tosspot, toper, bibber, bibbler, Obs., Rare,
biberon, barfly; drinker, hard drinker, serious drinker, problem drinker; All Inf.
guzzler, swiller, soaker, sponge, lovepot; All SI.
boozer, boozehound, lush, souse, rummy, wino, alchy, dipso, juicer, juice-head, hooch hound, gin hound, swillbelly, swillpot, stew, stewbum, elbow-bender, elbow-crooker.
alcoholism, n.1. Path,
dipsomania, crapulence, crapulousness, problem orheavy drinking, serious drinking, habitual orchronic drunkenness, chronic or acute alcoholism.
2. intoxication, insobriety, inebriety, inebriation, drunkenness, intemperance, Inf.tipsiness; drinking, imbibing, tippling, heavy drinking, toping, Inf.boozing, SI.hitting the bottle orsauce orbooze. Brit. SI. bevying.
alcove, n.1. niche, nook, corner, cubbyhole, cubby; compartment, cubicle, stall, booth, carrel; grotto, cave, cavern, cove, Chiefly Literary,
grot; recess, hollow, cavity, bay, indentation, concavity.
2. retreat, refuge, haven, shelter, burrow, hermitage; asylum, resort, sanctuary, sanctum sanctorum, ark, covert, hideaway, mew.
alembic, n.1. still, beaked vessel, Metallurgy. retort, crucible; cruet, beaker, carafe.
2. transformer, converter, refiner, purifier, distiller.
3. elixir, philosopher's stone, magic wand, magic potion, magic ingredient; magic formula, abracadabra, open sesame; magic answer, panacea, solution, missing link.
alert, adj.1. wide-awake, aware, Inf.heads-up, Inf.on the ball, Inf.on the stick, Inf.on one's toes; astir, up and about, up and doing, bright and early; smart, bright, sharp, keen, quick, Inf.quick on the trigger.
2. vigilant, watchful, Argus-eyed, attentive, on the qui vive; on the watch, on the alert, on the lookout; guarded, on guard, in readiness, prepared.