a. frequent, resort, haunt, SI. hang out, hang about,
b. linger, dally, loiter, mosey, idle, bide one's time; potter, piddle, dawdle, SI. putz.
13. hang back stay back, hold back, flinch, shy; recoil, shrink, shirk, cower, crouch.
14. hang on a. hold fast, cling to, cleave to, stick, adhere; grip, cohere, hold to, clutch, grasp,
b. persevere, persist, hold out, endure, perdure, hang in there; go on, carry on, hold on, hold up; fight to the end, go down fighting, stand up against,
c. give ear, absorb, listen devotedly, be rapt, be attentive, give one's undivided attention.
15. hang over a. be postponed, be delayed, be prorogued, be put off, be laid over.
b. loom, threaten, impend, menace; approach, near, come on, draw near; be imminent, be near at hand, be around the corner.
16. hang up a. cause delay, obstruct, block, clog, bottleneck; slow down, retard, hinder, hold up, hamper, restrict,
b. break the connection, replace the receiver, disconnect, cut off.
-n. 17. Informal, meaning, thought, significance, signification, sense; purport, import, connotation, denotation; gist, trend, tenor, bearing.
18. Informal, knack, way, turn, manner, procedure, system; wise, style, usage,
hangdog, adj. 1. browbeaten, intimidated, defeated, crestfallen; abject, miserable, wretched, degraded, debased; cringing, cowering, cowardly, spineless, pusillanimous.
2. embarrassed, shamefaced, ashamed, abashed, guilty-looking, conscience-stricken; sneaky, sneaking, furtive, shifty, skulking,
hanger-on, n. dependent, vassal, minion, lackey, flunky, retainer, henchman, U.S. Politics, ward heeler; parasite, leech, sycophant, SI. sponge; toady, Inf. yes man, flatterer, fawner, Inf. apple-polisher, Inf. bootlicker; follower, appendage, shadow, satellite, SI. groupie, Inf. puppydog, Inf. gofer,
hanging, n. 1. gibbeting, lynching, Inf. swinging. Inf. necktie party, execution.
2. suspension, pendency, pensility, pendulousness, drooping, dangling.
hangings drapery, curtain, tapestry, arras; pictures, paintings, artwork. See - drapery.
-adj. 4. pendent, suspended, swinging; pensile, dangling, drooping, pendulous.
hangman, n. public executioner, official killer, Brit. SI. Jack Ketch.
hangover, n. aftereffects, unpleasant aftereffects, crapulousness, crapulence, crapulency, SI. morning after, SI. head.
hang-up, n. Informal, preoccupation, fixation, fixed idea, Fr. idŁe fixe, quirk, SI. kink; psychological block, impediment,
hank, n. skein, roll, length, piece; twist, coil, loop, knot.
hanker, v. Usu.
hanker after or
for long for, yearn for, itch for, hunger for, thirst for, pant for, lust for, SI. lech after, Inf. yen for, wish for; crave, desire, covet, want, want with all one's heart, set one's heart on, want in the worst way, pine for, be dying for, die for; have an eye to, be bent on, have a fancy for.
hankering, n. desire, Inf. yen, itch, hunger, thirst;