2. catch, trap, booby trap, snare, pitfall, web, artifice, strategy, stratagem, gimmick, ploy.
-v. 3. entrap, ensnare, snare, mesh, bag, sack, seine, gin, trap, Archaic, entoil, Archaic, trepan; capture, catch, take captive, take prisoner, Inf. nab, Inf corral; lay hold of, Inf. lay by the heels, Inf. collar, Inf nail, seize, get hold of. net2, adj. 1. take-home, after taxes, bottom-line. 2. final, conclusive, concluding, closing, last, ending, terminal, terminative, Rare, conclusory, finishing, completing.
-n. 3. gain, profit, take, take-in; earnings, winnings, returns.
-v. 4. earn, make, gain, bring in, clear; win, acquire, secure, obtain, get; bag, sack, pocket; gather, collect, take in, pick up; come into, come by, realize, receive. nether, adj. 1. infernal, Hadean, Plutonian, Plutonic, Stygian, Styxian, Tartarean, Acherontal, Cocytean, Phlegethontal, Avernal; pandemoniac, chthonian, chthonic.
2. low, lower, ground-level, low-lying, lowhanging, unelevated; under, underground, buried, submerged; subordinate, inferior; bottom, base, basal; lowest point, nadir, nadiral. netlike, adj. meshlike, webbed, weblike, webby, lacelike, netted; retiary, reticulate, reticulated, reticular, retiform; cancellate, cancellated, plexal, plexiform; grated, latticed*, grilled; woven, interwoven, intertwined, interlaced, fretted, filigreed. netted, adj. 1. entrapped, trapped, ensnared, snared, enmeshed, bagged, seined, trawled, entangled; captured, caught, Inf. nabbed, Inf. collared, Inf. nailed; taken hold of, laid by the heels, apprehended, seized; clutched, clasped, grasped.
2. netlike, webbed, weblike, webby, lacelike, meshlike. See netlike. netting, n. woven fabric, cheesecloth, muslin, lace; webwork, web, meshwork, net. See net' (def. 1). nettle, v. 1. irritate, irk, pique, vex, provoke, peeve, chafe, get on [s.o.'s] nerves, Chiefly U.S. rife, Inf. aggravate, Inf. miff, Inf. give [s.o.] a pain, Inf. rub [s.o.] the wrong way, Inf. get under [s.o.'s] skin, Inf get in [s.o.'s] hair; exasperate, ruffle, roil, disturb, perturb, disquiet, discompose, discountenance, put out, put off, try [s.o.'s] patience, Inf. get, Sl. get [s.o.'s] goat.
2. annoy, bother, pester, hector, harass, Sl. bug, Sl. hassle, Sl. drive [s.o.] up the wall; hound, dog, nag, pick on, pick at, Sl. ride, Inf. give [s.o.] a bad or hard time; bedevil, torment, tease, taunt, tweak, mock, Inf. needle.
3. anger, incense, raise [s.o.'s] ire or hackles, get [s.o.'s] Irish or dander up, Inf. burn [s.o.] up, Sl. tick [s.o.] off, Sl. tee [s.o.] off; enrage, madden, infuriate, make [s.o.'s] blood boil, Inf. make [s.o.] see red; exacerbate, rankle, gall.
4. sting, prick, stab, nip, bite, burn. nettled, adj. 1. annoyed, peeved, put out, vexed, irritated; piqued, chafed, galled, riled; offended, affronted, displeased, on the outs with, indignant; worked up, Inf. hot under the collar, stirred up, Inf. sore, Sl. ticked off, Sl. teed off; kindled, enkindled; passionate, impassioned, impassionate, overexcited.
More Synonyms ...