idiotic, adj. 1. asinine, anserine, foolish, idiotical; silly, absurd, inane, fatuous; senseless, nonsensical, crackbrained, Scot. doiled, Sl. cockeyed, Scot. and North Eng. glaikit; ridiculous, laughable, risible, derisible, ludicrous, Sl. for the birds; childish, puerile, immature.
2. stupid, Inf. dumb, Inf. dopey, Inf moronic, empty-headed, unintelligent, imbecilic, oxlike; dull, inexpressive, expressionless; addlepated, addleheaded, addlebrained, muddled, muddleheaded; dull-witted, Sl. dimwitted, slow-witted, half-witted, witless, unwit-ty, fat-witted; mindless, Rare, insulse, brainless, fatui-tous; dense, thick, bovine, obtuse, Boeotian, stolid, oafish, loutish; cloddish, lumpish, blunt; doltish, blockish, asslike, blockheaded, dunderheaded, noodleheaded; boneheaded, wooden-headed, thickheaded, thickskulled; obstinate, stubborn, intractable, mulish, obdurate, unyielding.
3. crazy, crazed, Sl. bughouse, Sl. kooky, Inf. potty, Sl. nuts, Inf. nutty, daft, Inf. daffy; insane, mad, demented, lunatic, deranged; of unsound mind, Latin, non compos mentis; unbalanced, touched, Inf. halfbaked, unhinged; not all there, not quite right, not right upstairs, Inf. mental, Inf. cracked; out of one's head, out of one's mind, mad as a hatter, mad as a March hare; maniacal, wild, raving, hysterical, frenzied, delirious, berserk; All Sl. balmy, dippy, batty, cuckoo, buggy, screwy, wacky, goofy, loony.
4. simple-minded, simple, Sl. bird-brained, weak-minded, weak-headed, feeble-minded; harebrained, giddy, mercurial, reckless; absent-minded, scatterbrained, confused, bemused; featherheaded, featherbrained, rattleheaded, rattlebrained, light-minded, light-headed; empty, void, vacant, vacuous, blank, unoccupied.
5. dazed, moon-struck, possessed, infatuated; peculiar, strange, odd, eccentric, pixilated; irrational, illogical, unreasonable; unreasoning, unthinking, insensate, incogitant, thoughtless. idle, adj. 1. inactive, unoccupied, at leisure, doing nothing; unemployed, workless, out of work, not working, jobless, out of a job, Inf. collecting, on the dole, on welfare; vagrant, Inf. on the bum.
2. unfilled, vacuous, vacant, empty, not in use, unused; not in operation, not operating, not utilized, still, dormant; fallow, uncultivated, untilled.
3. lazy, listless, lethargic, languid; indolent, loitering, loafing; dawdling, laggard, slothful, sluggish, shiftless, dronish, do-nothing, inert, supine, stretched out, recumbent; torpid, heavy, leaden.
4. unimportant, trivial, trifling, shallow, depthless, superficial; worthless, insignificant, meaningless, unmeaning; senseless, nonsensical, inane, Inf. dumb, absurd, fatuous, fatuitous.
5. baseless, groundless, unreasonable; fallacious, illogical, Logic, paralogistic, unsound, inconclusive; inconsequential, a waste of time.
6. frivolous, fiddling, vain, foolish, valueless, trashy, wasteful, prodigal, superfluous, unnecessary, unneeded, purposeless; fruitless, abortive, unproductive, useless, unserviceable, unprofitable, ill-spent, gainless, profitless; useless, unavailing, of no avail, unsuccessful, ineffective, inefficacious, ineffectual, bootless.
-v. 7. loaf, loll, lounge, laze, while; be inactive, vegetate, do nothing, hibernate, mark time, take it easy; fritter, Sl. futz, Sl. knock about or around, fool away time, Inf. goof off.
8. loiter, slouch, move idly, saunter, dawdle, lag, Inf. lollygag; putter, potter, dabble; wait, delay, procrastinate, dillydally; drowse, doze, nap, snooze.