5. opinion, belief, judgment; conception, concept, conceit; conviction, mind, persuasion, thinking, way of thinking; tenet, doctrine, dogma, principle, doxy, creed, precept.
6. supposition, theory, speculation, guess, two cents' worth; surmise, conjecture, premise, estimation, assessment, valuation; sentiment, feeling, apprehension; perception, image, impression, notion, idea; attitude, viewpoint, point of view, perspective; stand, standpoint, stance, position, vantage, vantage point, angle, posture.
-v. 7.watch, SI. spectate, observe, witness; see, behold, catch sight of, Inf. lay eyes on, SI. lamp; perceive, look at, discern, notice, regard, hold in view, have in sight; take in, survey, scan, look upon; scrutinize, read, inspect, pour over, peer at, examine, SI. check out; cast an eye on, SI. get a load of, Inf. take a gander, get an eyefull; peek, peep, spy, eye.
8. consider, contemplate, weigh, think over, turn over in one's mind, give thought to, mull over; ponder, Archaic, perpend, ruminate, cogitate, meditate on, muse on; delineate, reflect upon, revolve, put one's mind to, give one's attention to, think about.
viewpoint, n. attitude, sentiment, feeling, frame of mind, posture; opinion, view, point of view, stand, stance; position, angle, slant, perspective, standpoint, vantage point, vantage.
vigil, n. 1. sleeplessness, wakefulness, insomnia.
2. watch, watch and ward, lookout; wake; Inf. stakeout; sharp eye, eagle eye, sleepless eye, Inf peeled eye.
vigilance, n. watchfulness, surveillance, observation; guard, guardedness, wariness; caution, precaution, forethought, prudence, circumspection; alertness, keenness, attentiveness; wakefulness, sleeplessness.
vigilant, adj. 1. watchful, on the watch, on the lookout; attentive, observant, sharp-eyed, eagle-eyed, hawk-eyed, Argus-eyed, all eyes and ears, alert, on the alert, on the qui vive, on one's toes, Inf. on the job; awake, wide-awake, sleepless, unsleeping, unnodding, Inf. with eyes peeled.
2. wary, chary, careful, cautious, circumspect, prudent, mindful, heedful; guarded, on one's guard.
vignette, n. 1. design, small illustration, Print. headpiece, Print, tailpiece; engraving, print, drawing, illumination; picture, view.
2. literary sketch, delineation, skit; anecdote, narrative, short tale or yarn; instance, illustration.
vigor, n. 1. strength, power, potency, virility, force, birr, Literary, puissance; stamina, endurance, staying power, mettle, pluck, sap, pith, nerve, steel, Inf. spunk, Inf. starch, SI. moxie; health, healthiness, haleness, soundness, heartiness, robustness, vigorousness, hardiness, sturdiness; forcefulness, forcibleness.
2. vitality, vivacity, energy, trenchancy, go, get up and go, zing, liveliness, spryness, sprightliness, briskness, Inf. zip, Inf. pep, Inf. punch, Inf. bounce, Inf. snap, SI. pizzazz, SI. oomph, Brit. SI. stingo.
3. spirit, enthusiasm, eagerness, ebullience, animation, vim, sparkle, keenness, Dial, gimp, Chiefly Scot. smeddum; zeal, verve, ardor, fervor, dan, dash, fire, vehemence, intensity.
vigorous, adj. 1. energetic, full of energy, dynam
ic, strenuous, active, trenchant; quick, brisk, spry, sprightly, Scot. and North Eng. yauld, Inf. bouncing, Inf. zippy, Inf. peppy, SI. go-go; vivacious, lively, full of life, glowing, sparkling, spanking, zingy, bold, sharp.
2. robust, hearty, hardy, hale, hale and hearty, lusty, strong and healthy, bursting with health or vigor; sound, healthy, in good health, fit, physically fit, in good condition, in fine fettle, Inf. in good shape, Inf.