and furious; burning, fiery, blazing, raging, warm, steaming; impetuous, impulsive, wild, abandoned; stormy, turbulent, tempestuous, violent, volcanic; explosive, eruptive, mad, raving, storming; overexcited, transported, beside oneself, orgiastic, orgasmic, wildeyed, running amuck.
3. fierce, rigorous, strenuous, strong, intense; virulent, venomous, savage, rough, ferocious; acerbic, acrimonious, acute, mordant, trenchant, cutting, biting, bitter; unmitigated, unsubdued, drastic, severe, Inf. tough.
vehicle, n. 1. conveyance carrier, conveyor, transportation, transporter.
2. automobile, car, SI. wheels, jeep, bus, truck; tractor, tank, half-track; cart, wagon, carriage, sulky, stagecoach; bicycle, motorcycle, Inf. bike, moped; train, trolley, streetcar; sled, sleigh. See - car (defs. 1-3); carriage (def. 1); train (def. 4); and
3. channel, route, way, conduit, passage; medium, means, agency, instrument, method, organ, tool; means to an end, access, entranceway, entryway.
veil, n. 1. purdah, yashmak, chadri; kerchief, head covering, scarf, mantilla.
2. cover, covering, concealment, screen, curtain, shade, film, mantle, cloak, blanket, shroud, canopy; fog, haze, cloud, shadow.
3. mask, masquerade, disguise, camouflage; guise, semblance, appearance, facade, face, false front, front, window dressing, show; pretense, deceit, hypocrisy, deception, artifice, blind, subterfuge; dissimulation, dissemblance, falsification, trickery.
-v.4. obscure, dim, shade, becloud, cloud, eclipse, adumbrate, obfuscate; cover, envelop, screen, cloak, curtain, muffle, shield, mantle; conceal, hide, secrete.
5. disguise, camouflage, mask, cover up, cover over; deceive, dissemble, dissimulate, misrepresent, falsify; gloss over, varnish, put a false face or front on.
vein, n. 1. blood vessel, artery, aorta, Anat. vena, Anat. vena cava, venule, Anat. capillary; Bot., Zool. nervure.
2. lode, seam, stratum, bed, mine.
3. channel, watercourse, underground stream.
4. streak, stripe, thread, string, line, marking, marbling, stria, striation; groove, furrow, sulcus; ridge.
5. temper, mood, disposition, turn of mind, humor, complexion; temperament, character, inclination, bent, tendency; appearance, way, manner, style, cast, quality, strain, grain; type, kind, sort, ilk.
-v. 6. streak, stripe, striate, line, marble; score, slash, ridge, furrow, groove; snake, wind, thread, twist, curve, twine, meander.
velocity, n. 1. swiftness, speed, precipitation, precipitousness; celerity, rapidity, speediness, alacrity, fleetness, fastness, quickness, briskness; promptness, expeditiousness; rate of speed, miles per hour, mph, revolutions per minute, rpm.
velvet, n. 1. velour, velveteen, waleless corduroy, duvetyn, plush.
2. Slang, winnings, prize money, SI. loot, booty, prize; clear gain or profit, SI. gravy, yield, return.
-adj. 3. velveteen, velour, velveted; velvetlike, smooth, soft, velutinous, thick, deep,
venal, adj. open to bribery, bribeable, corruptible, corrupt; purchasable, buyable; mercenary, Obs. vendible, self-seeking, selfish, greedy, covetous, avaricious, grasping, rapacious.
vend, v. 1. sell, peddle, hawk, huckster, SI. push, retail, market, go door-to-door, sell on commission, Inf try to make a buck or dollar; tout one's goods, show one's wares, offer for sale; dispose of, Inf. get