2. high regard, high opinion, honor, veneration, reverence, esteem, respect,
emulous, adj. competitive, competing, contending; admiring, reverential.
enable, v. 1. capacitate, qualify, endow, endue, equip, outfit, arm; potentiate, strengthen, invigorate, energize.
2. authorize, warrant, accredit, license, certify, certificate, validate, document; invest, entrust, entitle, commission, delegate, depute, constitute; franchise, charter, legalize, formalize, establish, set up.
3. sanction, approve, give the go ahead or green light, give one's nod of approval, countenance, Chiefly U.S. approbate, Inf. O.K.; agree to, give one's assent, concur with, go along with, accede to; confirm, ratify, pass, vote for; facilitate, ease, assist, aid, help.
enact, v. 1. make into law, establish as law, legislate, pass into law, ratify, sanction, approve; decree, ordain, rule, adjudge, pronounce, proclaim.
2. act, play the part of, portray, represent on the stage, personate, impersonate, personify,
enactment, n. 1. legislation, making or passing into law, ratification, sanctioning, approval.
2. motion, proposal, measure, bill, legislation; law, statute, ordinance, rule, regulation; act, decree, edict, proclamation, declaration, pronouncement.
3. provision, condition, stipulation, proviso, clause,
enamel, n. 1. lacquer, varnish, japan, glaze, glossy finish or surface, coating, coat of paint; veneer, inlay, overlay, decoration, ornamentation.
2. gloss, polish, luster, sheen, shine, glow.
3. nail polish, nail enamel, nail lacquer, nail paint, nail gloss.
-v. 4. lacquer, japan, varnish, glaze, coat, finish,
paint; veneer, overlay, inlay, decorate, ornament.
5. gloss, polish, shine, buff, burnish,
enamor, v. captivate, enthrall, enrapture, bewitch, ensorcell, infatuate, charm, allure, fascinate, enchant, sweep off one's feet,
encage, v. confine, immure, pen, coop, corral, impound; coop up, pen in, shut in, fence in, wall in; imprison, incarcerate, embar.
encamp, v. bivouac, camp, set up camp, tent, pitch camp, pitch one's tent; camp out, sleep out, rough it; (iall in a camp) lodge, quarter, billet, bed, bunk, berth,
encampment, n. 1. camp, campsite, campground, camping ground, (in the Near East) caravansary, bivouac, Mil. casern, Mil. cantonment.
2. (both in a camp) lodgment, settlement; laying out of camp, Mil. castramentation.
encase, v. box, box up, case, crate, carton; pack, package, parcel; enclose, envelop, wrap, sheathe,
enchain, v. 1. fetter, enfetter, shackle, pinion, tram mel, entrammel; handcuff, manacle, put in bilboes, put in irons; restrain, confine, secure; bind, truss; hamper, hobble, immobilize.
2. hold fast, rivet, captivate, engross; mesmerize, magnetize, enchant, hold rapt,
enchant, v. 1. cast a spell upon, spellbind, bewitch, charm, mesmerize, hypnotize, ensorcell; bind by incantations, hoodoo, hex.
2. captivate, allure, delight, enrapture, fascinate; enamor, transport, entice, enthrall, infatuate; catch, win, lead captive, enchain,
enchanter, n.magician, sorcerer, wizard, conjurer,