2. catastrophe, cataclysm, disaster, tragedy; shock, blow, heavy or nasty or staggering blow, buffet, stroke, stroke of ill or bad luck or fortune; mishap, mischance, miscarriage, misadventure, Scot. and North Eng. mishanter; glitch, casualty, accident; reverse, reversal, reverse of fortune, setback, comedown, bringdown, bitter pill.
calculable, adj. 1. computable, measurable, reck-onable, countable; determinable, predictable, estimable, gaugeable, appraisable, assessable; ascertainable, discoverable.
2. reliable, dependable, to be counted on, trustworthy.
calculate, v. 1. compute, count, figure, enumerate, work out, reckon; sum up; figure out, Sl. dope out, ascertain, determine; estimate, evaluate, gauge, measure, weigh, take into account; cast, forecast, predict. 2. design, intend, plan, set up; adapt, adjust, make suitable, fit.
calculating, adj. shrewd, sharp, scheming, designing, sly, crafty, contriving, Sl. sneaky; cautious, careful, wary, prudent; discreet, circumspect, politic, farsighted.
calculation, n. 1. computation, reckoning, estimation, estimate, count; result, product, end product or result; expectation, forecast, prediction, prospect, anticipation.
2. forethought, foresight, planning, care, circumspection, deliberation; cautiousness, caution, wariness, discretion, prudence; design, craftiness, contrivance, scheme, expedient.
calculator, n. 1. computer, arithmetician, mathe
matician; adding machine operator, computer operator, programmer, compilator.
2. calculating machine, adding machine, pocket calculator; abacus; computer.
calendar, n. 1. menology, chronogram, Obs. ephemeris; almanac, chronology; chronicle, annals, record; log, register, daybook.
2. list, agenda, schedule, docket; bill, program, slate.
caliber, n. 1. bore, diameter.
2. quality, merit, virtue, excellence; ability, capability, capacity, faculty, competence; gift, endowment; flair, talent, genius, knack.
calisthenics, n. exercise, physical training, athletics, gymnastics, slimnastics, aerobics, isometrics, daily dozen, Brit, physical jerks; jogging; drill, workout, warm-up, practice.
call, v. 1. cry out, sing out, hail, halloo or hallo; cry, exclaim, shout, yell, Inf. holler, scream; clamor, vociferate; roar, bellow.
2. ask, invite, summon, signal; convoke, convene, muster, assemble, call together; telephone, phone, dial, dial up, ring, ring up, Inf. buzz.
3. announce, proclaim, order; name, christen, designate, style, dub, Archaic, clepe; consider, estimate, view as, judge, reckon.
4. call down a. invoke, appeal to, pray to, supplicate, petition, entreat,
b. reprimand, chastise, reprove, rebuke, upbraid, chide.
-n. 5. cry, outcry, clamor, shout, scream, Inf. holler; signal, cooee, sooey; animal note, caw, tweet, chirp.
6. summons, signal, alarm, tocsin; invocation, invitation, bidding, calling, appeal, notice, request.