2. relief, easing, easement, soothing; softening, cushioning, mollification, lightening; smoothing, calming; mitigation, abatement, remission; reduction, diminution, lessening, slackening, weakening, relaxation; alleviation, assuagement, palliation, appeasement; slaking, deadening, dulling, blunting; tempering, moderating, moderation.
console, v. comfort, solace, afford consolation; share [s.o.'s] misery, lament with. See - comfort (def. 1).
consolidate, v. 1. unite, coalesce, league, incorporate, confederate, federate, syndicate; associate, affiliate, ally, pair up, correlate; pool, herd, flock, team, club, join forces, band together, pull together; unify, bring or draw together, grow together, ankylose, become one; concentrate, condense, compact, compress, streamline; centralize, federalize, nationalize.
2. combine, amalgamate, merge, blend, mix, conglomerate, agglomerate, lump together; connect, attach, join, conjoin, bind, tie together, bond, fuse; cohere, stick together, hold together.
3. solidify, congeal, harden, concrete, stiffen, set; strengthen, fortify, reinforce.
consolidation, n. 1. unification, union, incorporation, confederation, federation, centralization, syndication, association, coalition; combination, amalgamation, conglomeration, agglomeration, connection, junction, conjunction, conjugation, fusion.
2. unity, unitedness, coalescence, oneness; connectedness, attachment, bondedness, coherence, cohesion.
3. solidification, concretion, hardening, stiffening; condensation, concentration, compression, compacting; strengthening, fortification, reinforcement.
consoling, adj. comforting, solacing, sympathetic, commiserative, compassionate, relieving, easing, assuasive, palliative, ameliorative, lenitive; que-ling, calming, peace-giving, restorative.
consonance, n. 1. accord, concord, concordance, consonancy; agreement, accordance, conformity, conformance, conformation; correspondence, correspondency, congruity, congruence, congruousness; unanimity, consentience, consentaneity, consentaneousness, like-mindedness; unity, oneness, oneness of mind or purpose, single-mindedness; unison, consensus, joint or general agreement.
2. harmony, harmoniousness, euphony, symphony, homophony, monody, concert, concentus, Rare, uni-sonance, Obs. consort; tune, melody, diapason; chord, resonance, chime, chiming, attune, attunement; chorus, one voice, single voice.
3. rhyme, assonance, alliteration, crambo, Archaic. clink.
consonant, n. 1. Phonetics, sonorant, sonant, sibilant; fricative, spirant; surd; stop; liquid. -adj. 2. agreeing, in agreement, agreeable, accordant, in accord, concordant, corresponding, correspondent, in correspondence; concurring, concurrent, consentient, consentaneous; complying, compliant, conforming, conformable; coherent, cohesive, consistent, congruent, congruous; unanimous, in unison, at one, in rapport, of the same mind, of one mind, like-minded, single-minded.
3. harmonious, in harmony, euphonious, symphonic, symphonious, homophonic, monodic; tuneful, in tune; melodious, melodic, musical, pleasant-sounding, pleasant to the ear; resonant, chiming.
4. consonantal, consonantic.
consort, n. 1. spouse, husband, wife, better half, other half, Humorous, rib, squaw; helpmate, helpmeet, mate, partner.
2. companion, comrade, crony, chum, Fr. copain, sidekick, shadow, alter ego; friend, ally, Inf. pal, U.S.