2. surrender, relinquishment, yielding, ceding, Law. waiver; giving up, renunciation, abandonment, discontinuation, cessation, stopping, quitting, desistance, forbearance, abstention, self-sacrifice; loss, destruction, ruin. -v. 3. offer as a sacrifice, offer up, pour out; immolate, burn, kill, slaughter.
4. surrender, relinquish, yield, cede, resign, Law. waive; give up, Inf. swear off, renounce, abandon, discontinue, cease, stop, quit; do without, forgo, abstain from, refrain from, forbear, desist.
5. (of all goods or property) dispose of, get rid of, sell at any price, sell at a loss, take a loss on, give away, let go, part with. sacrificial, adj. 1. expiatory, atoning, reparatory, reparative, piacular.
2. sacrificed, immolated, burnt, killed, slaughtered. sacrilege, n. 1. profanation, profaneness, profanity, cursing, blasphemy, desecration; mockery, irreverence, indevoutness, irreligion, impiety, impiousness, disrespect, disrespectfulness, unrespectfulness; ungodliness, unholiness, unrighteousness, unvirtuousness, immorality, godlessness; sinfulness, iniquity, peccancy, wickedness, reprobacy.
2. violation, defilement, perversion, contamination, infection, befoulment, pollution; vitiation, debasement, degradation, lowering, cheapening, dishonoring, prostitution; abuse, maltreatment, mistreatment, misuse, outrage, sacrilegious, adj. profane, blasphemous, desecrative, disrespectful, unrespectful, heretical; irreverent, inde-vout, irreligious, infidel, impious, unpious, ungodly; unsaintly, unvirtuous, unrighteous, immoral, reprobate; godless, iniquitous, sinful, sinning, peccant, wicked, evil, perverted, corrupt. sacrosanct, adj. sacred, holy, hallowed, venerated, consecrated, set apart, sanctified, purified; religious, godly, divine, heavenly, celestial; sacred-cow, inviolable, inviolate, untouchable, inalienable, indefeasible, unimpeachable, unchallengeable, sad, adj. 1. unhappy, dejected, depressed, despondent, crestfallen, chapfallen, downcast, Inf. down, Inf. low, feeling low, in low spirits, in the doldrums, Inf. down in the dumps, Inf. down in the mouth; discouraged, disheartened, downhearted, dispirited, SI. bummed or bummed out; gloomy, melancholy, blue; sorrowful, mournful, heavy-hearted; inconsolable, disconsolate, crushed, broken, heartbroken, brokenhearted, sick at heart, heartsick; bowed-down, heavyladen, in the depths or bowels of despair, SI. in the pits; wretched, miserable, woebegone.
2. grievous, lamentable, deplorable, rueful, doleful, dolorous; regrettable, unfortunate, infelicitous, unlucky, hapless, Scot. donsie; woeful, plaintive, touching, heartbreaking, heartrending, piteous; sore, bitter, sharp, afflictive, oppressive, distressing, painful; pleasureless, joyless, cheerless.
3. sorry, pitiful, pitiable, pathetic; mean, despicable, contemptible, beneath contempt; paltry, petty, piddling, beggarly, scrubby, shabby, SI. crummy.
4. (all of colors) dark, black, gray, leaden; drab, dull, dead, lifeless; dismal, dreary, Literary, drear, bleak, dingy; somber, grave, heavy, lugubrious, atrabilious, funereal.