2. meek, mild, submissive, obsequious, servile, subservient, subsidiary, slavish, broken in spirit, unambitious, unresisting; manageable, docile, acquiescent, obedient, adaptable, tractable, ductile, consentient; broken, resigned, subdued, sedate, tame.
3. unassuming, plain, common, commonplace, ordinary, humdrum; simple, poor, plebian, proletariat, earth-born, of low birth, low in rank, of low rank, low-ranking, unequal, inferior, baseborn, of low or mean parentage; homely, homespun, unrefined, vulgar, ill-bred, underbred, lowbred, uncouth, unfit, shabby, scruffy, scrubby; mean, low, ignoble, inglorious, base, infamous, ignominious, contemptible, sordid, despicable.
4. inconsequential, of little or small importance, insignificant, small, minute, little, obscure, undistinguished, trivial, paltry, petty, puny, trifling, peddling, piddling, Inf. measly, SI. small potatoes, Inf. small time.
5. polite, respectful, gracious; deferential, obliging, complaisant, compliant, agreeable, biddable; hesitant, diffident, timid, timorous, shy, bashful, demure, meek-spirited.
6. godly, reverential; apologetic, regretful, remorseful, rueful, penitent, penitential, contrite, compunctious, expiatory, supplicatory; content, tolerant, enduring, stoic, stoical; clement, gentle, peaceful, peaceable, placid, passive.
-v. 7. humiliate, mortify, bring down, Inf take or bring down a notch or peg, SI. put down, make [s.o.] eat humble pie, Inf. make [s.o.] eat crow, Inf make [s.o.] eat his words, (of oneself) Inf. swallow one's pride, pull down, bring low, chasten, subdue; disgrace, shame, dishonor, put to shame; abase, debase, degrade, vitiate, lower, demote, downgrade.
8. demean, belittle, disparage, deprecate, depreciate, decry, deflate, derogate.
9. snub, rebuke, put in one's place, scorn, spurn, slap in the face, pin [s.o.] ears back, rebuff, reprove, chide, squelch; deny, deprive, repel, reject; overlook, neglect, Inf. cast into the shade, set aside, Inf. cold shoulder, disregard, omit, slight, (of oneself) Inf. take a back seat.
10. crush, break, destroy, defeat utterly, rout, discomfit, overwhelm, obliterate, smash, conquer, vanquish, bring to one's knees, tread or trample underfoot.
11. confuse, abash, perplex, bewilder, confound, nonplus, dumfound; disconcert, discompose, discountenance, put out of countenance; intimidate, daunt, cow, browbeat; embarrass, put to the blush.
12. slur, asperse, impute, libel, slander, defile, scandalize, smear, smirch, besmirch, stain, tarnish, brand, stigmatize. humbled, adj. 1. crushed, broken, destroyed, routed, discomfited, overwhelmed, obliterated, smashed, conquered, vanquished.
2. belittled, disparaged, deprecated, derogated, deflated, decried; reduced, lowered, depressed, devalued, depreciated.
3. humiliated, mortified, meekened, chastened, subdued, made to eat humble pie; shamed, disgraced, dishonored, reproached; discredited, disfavored, SI. in the doghouse; debased, abased, degraded, vitiated.
4. insulted, affronted, abused, ill-treated, maltreated, slighted; outraged, scandalized.
5. slurred, aspersed, libeled, slandered, denigrated, defamed; smirched, besmirched, smeared, stained, tarnished, branded, stigmatized.
More Synonyms ...