ophthalmologist, n. oculist, eye doctor, eye specialist, (loosely) optometrist.
opiate, n. 1. Informal, drug, narcotic, depressant, sedative, tranquilizer, soporific, somnifacient, hypnotic, stupefacient; painkiller, analgesic, Pharm. hyoscyamine, Pharm. belladonna; morphine, opium, laudanum; barbiturate, Sl. barbs, Inf. down or downer, quaalude, Sl. lude, Sl. red; heroin, Sl. H. Sl. horse, Sl. smack, Sl. junk, Sl. scag, Sl. crank; Sl. dope, marijuana, U.S. Sl. Mary-Jane or MJ, Sl. pot, Sl. grass, Sl. weed, Sl. reefer; hashish, Sl. hash.
2. anodyne, lenitive, palliative, assuager, nepenthe, Med. calmative.
opine, v. reckon, fancy, deem, conceive, imagine; feel, think, view, see, regard; hold, consider, maintain, esteem, count; suppose, assume, surmise, Dial, allow, conclude, conjecture; presume, guess, suspect, Inf. expect, Inf. have a hunch, have an inkling; look upon, take for, be under the impression, have the impression.
opinion, n. 1. belief, judgment, idea, thought; impression, notion, fancy, assumption; conception, concept, conceit; conviction, mind, persuasion, thinking, way of thinking; tenet, doctrine, dogma, principle, doxy, creed, precept.
2. view, sentiment, feeling, apprehension; observation, perception, image; attitude, viewpoint, point of view, slant; stand, stance, position, angle, posture.
3. appraisal, judgment, appreciation, valuation; estimate, estimation, consideration, assessment; verdict, diagnosis, prognosis, decision, finding; determination, deduction, inference, conclusion; supposition, theory, speculation, guess, two cents' worth; surmise, conjecture, premise.
opinionated, adj. 1. prejudiced, biased, bigoted, jaundiced, colored, one-sided, partisan, prepossessed; stubborn, obstinate, bullheaded, pigheaded, mulish; willful, headstrong, pertinacious, self-willed, dogged.
2. dogmatic, pontifical, oracular, dictatorial, doctrinaire; positive, confident, assured, convinced; overconfident, overweening, overbearing, hubristic; arrogant, inflated, lofty, pompous, lordly, cocky; conceited, self-important, egotistic, vain.
opinionative, adj. 1. credal, doctrinal, canonical, dogmatic, taught; authoritative, orthodox, recognized, standard, accepted, held.
2. obstinate, willful, headstrong; self-important, conceited. See - opinionated (defs. 1, 2).
opponent, n. 1. antagonist, adversary, foe, enemy, assailant; rival, competitor, contender, contestant, vier; opposer, opposition, oppositionist, objector, protestor, dissident.
-adj. 2. opposing, antagonistic; contentious. See - opposing (defs. 1, 2).
opportune, adj. appropriate, apt, suitable, expedient, fitting, fit, becoming, proper, correct, right; applicable, relevant, pertinent, germane, apropos; propitious, auspicious, favorable, advantageous, convenient, good; fortunate, seasonable, timely, lucky, providential; profitable, valuable, Archaic, available, efficacious; conducive, beneficial, helpful, constructive, worthwhile; useful, usable, acccessible, handy, serviceable.