2. sinfulness, wrong, wickedness, vice, bad, badness, baseness, foulness, meanness; immorality, iniquity, evil, wrong; error, guilt, obduracy, hardhardedness; unregeneracy, impenitence, incorrigibility; maleficence, malignancy, malevolence, malignity, rancor, maliciousness; atrocity, outrage, abomination.
3. offense, fault, crime, infraction, criminal infraction, violation; infringement, misdeed, dereliction, slip, lapse, omission; shortcoming, peccadillo, foible, malefaction, delinquency, law breaking, felony, misdemeanor.
-v. 4. transgress, trespass, offend, desecrate, profane, defile, debase; go astray, fall from grace; break the law, fault, commit a sin or crime; make a mistake, go wrong, slip up, lapse, trip, stray from the straight and narrow, misbehave; go to pot, go to hell, go to hell in a handbasket; be degraded, sink to the depths; sin against, injure, hurt, harm, wound, damage, wrong, malign. sincere, adj. 1. open, open-hearted, ingenuous, guileless, artless, undeceptive, undeceitful, undeceiving, unfeigning, undissembling, undissimulating; aboveboard, open and aboveboard, up front, out front, nononsense, Sl. on the level, Sl. up and up or on the up and up; upright, upstanding, straight, square, fair and square, square-dealing, plain-dealing, square-shooting, straight-shooting; honest, trustworthy, Inf trusty, uncorrupt, uncorrupted, Inf. O.K.
2. candid, frank, forthright, foursquare, straightforward, straight-from-the-shoulder; plain, plain-spoken, plain-speaking, downright, outright, explicit, unequivocal, unambiguous, undisguised, Inf. straight-out, Inf. flat-footed, Inf. matter-of-fact; genuine, real, true, truehearted, heartfelt, veracious, bona fide, all wool and a yard wide; natural, unaffected, uncontrived, unassuming, inartificial, unvarnished, unpretentious, unpretending.
3. earnest, fervent, fervid, serious, dedicated, resolute, single-hearted, single-minded, wholehearted. sincerity, n. 1. openness, openheartedness, ingenuousness, guilelessness, artlessness, undeceptiveness, undeceitfulness; uprightness, honorableness, straightness, squareness, square-dealing, plain-dealing, square-shooting, straight-shooting; honesty, trustworthiness, Inf. trustiness, uncorruptedness.
2. candor, candidness, frankness, forthrightness, straightforwardness, calling a spade a spade, Sl. telling it like it is; plain-speaking, plain-spokenness, downrightness, outrightness, explicitness, unequivocalness; genuineness, trueness, truheartedness; naturalness, unaffectedness, inartificiality, inartificialness, unpretentiousness.
3. earnestness, ferventness, fervidness, seriousness, dedication, resolution, single-heartedness, singlemindedness, wholeheartedness. sinecure, n. soft job, Sl. cushy job, Sl. patronage plum, Sl. political plum, Sl. plum, Sl. pork barrel, Sl. gravy train, Inf. boondoggle; child's play, Sl. snap, Sl. cinch, Inf. picnic. sinew, n. 1. tendon, ligament, Anat. ligamentum; thew, muscle.
2. Often sinews strength, vigor, vitality, driving spirit, power, might, brawn, force; lustiness, energy, resilience, stamina; robustness, muscle, Sl. beef, potency; grit, nerve, courage, Sl. guts, iron, Literary. puissance. sinewy, adj. 1. strong, powerful, mighty; muscular, stout, strapping, robust, athletically-built, wiry; virile, lusty, vigorous, burly, brawny; herculean, ablebodied, stalwart, doughty, Atlantean.
2. tough, firm, resilient, hardened, toughened, weathered; adamantine, steely, steady, constant, unwavering, steadfast, indomitable, inexorable; determined, resolute, staunch.
More Synonyms ...