2. expensive, costly, dear, high-priced, Inf. steep, Inf. stiff; overpriced, prohibitive, priced out of the market; extortionate, cutthroat, gouging, usurious,
exorcise, v. (in reference to evil spirits) expel, cast out, drive out, deliver from, exsufflate; unspell, disenchant.
exorcism, n. 1. (usu. in reference to evil spirits) casting out, driving out, expulsion, deliverance from; exsufflation, disenchantment.
2. incantation, conjuration, invocation, countercharm, hocus-pocus,
exoteric, adj. 1. public, plebian, proletarian, vulgar, common, vulgate; open, unexclusive, nonexclusive, communal, community; unreserved, available, accessible, obtainable.
2. popular, commonplace, widespread, general; simple, clear, pat, literal; intelligible, comprehensible, explicit; plain, undisguised, unconcealed, unhidden; express, manifest, apparent, evident, conspicuous, in broad daylight, clear as a bell.
3. exterior, external, outside, extrinsic, extraneous; superficial, surface, outer, outward, outermost.
exotic, adj. 1. foreign, unnative, alien; outlandish, barbarian, ultramontane, tramontane, out of the way; new, novel, different, unheard-of; external, extraneous, extrinsic.
2. striking, outrageous, incredible, fabulous, astonishing; remarkable, out of the ordinary, extraordinary, marvelous, wondrous; unusual, strange, peculiar, singular, unique, unexpected; exciting, glamorous, extravagant, sensational, electrifying; thrilling, impressive, Inf. big-city, colorful.
3. topless, bottomless, striptease, go-go, disco; racy, Inf. sexy, risque, titillating, voluptuous.
expand, v. 1. increase, enlarge, make larger, make bigger, make greater, Chiefly Literary, greaten, aggrandize; magnify, amplify, enhance, deepen, heighten; widen, thicken, broaden; lengthen, prolong, protract; extend, spread, outspread, spread out, branch out, Mil. deploy; unfold, unfurl, stretch out, open; wax, grow larger.
2. dilate, distend, inflate, bloat, puff out, blow up; swell, intumesce, tumefy; fill out, fatten.
3. augment, supplement, add to, superadd to; accrue, accumulate, cumulate, amass, pile up, heap up; multiply, double, redouble, treble, triple, quadruple.
4. escalate, step up, give a boost to, SI. soup up, SI. hop up, SI. jazz up; accelerate, snowball, mushroom; exacerbate, aggravate.
5. develop, enlarge on, overstate; descant, expound on or upon, detail; intensify, concentrate; exaggerate, maximize, make much of, make the most of.
6. strengthen, reinforce, build up; grow, mature, flourish.
7. raise, elevate, boost, advance, exalt; rise, ascend, mount, skyrocket; burgeon, shoot up, spring up, sprout.
expanse, n. 1. space, extension, expansion; spaciousness, amplitude, vastness, immensity, capaciousness, largeness; open space, free space, clearing, opening; leeway, margin, elbowroom; open country, wilderness, waste, desert, wild region, desolate country.
2. infinity, infinitude, unlimitedness, boundlessness; abyss, chasm, gulf; emptiness, void.
3. magnitude, measure, degree, quantity, amount, extent, fullness; capacity, volume, proportions, dimensions, size, gauge, bulk, content; period, duration, term, continuance; breadth, depth, width, broadness, wideness, height, length; arena, sphere, region, territory; field, tract, distance; stretch, spread, reach, span; district, circuit, area; scope, range, compass, sweep; latitude, longitude.