role, n. 1. part, character, characterization, por
trayal, personification, impersonation; lines, Theat. sides.
2. capacity, position, place, status, situation; function, use, purpose, operation.
roll, v. 1. revolve, rotate, bowl, trundle, troll,
tumble, somersault, somerset, turn, go around; (all of a vessel) pitch, lurch, haw, swing, toss, rock, incline, sway, lean; spin, gyrate, whirl, pivot, pirouette, wheel, reel, swirl, twirl, twiddle.
2. cart, push, pull, move, convey, transport; drive, ride, float, sail, coast.
3. wave, undulate, ripple, billow, surge; flow, run, stream.
4. thunder, rumble, roar, boom, bellow, fulminate, rend the heavens or skies; resound, resonate, reverberate, echo, reecho, bounce back, bounce off the walls, fill the air or room; peal, toll, ring, knoll, knell, chime, ding, dong, tinkle, jingle; whir, hum, buzz; sing, trill, vibrate, rattle, quaver, quiver, shake, quake, tremble.
5. Usu. roll out unroll, flatten, flat, level, level off, even off, grade, symmetrize; smooth, smooth out, spread out, press, iron, mangle; mash, squash, crush, SI. smush.
6. wrap, enwrap, wrap up, enfold, encompass, en-wreath, encircle, envelop; sheathe, encase, case, package, enclose; cover, clothe, muffle, swathe, shroud, enshroud.
7. wind, curl, spiral, intort, twist; furl, ball, clew, convolve, intervolve, sinuate, curve, incurvate, roll around or up, unflatten; entwine, twine, wreathe, twist or wrap around.
-n. 8. scroll, rota, tablet, document; coil, corkscrew, twist, spiral, twirl, whorl, vortex, gyration, convolution, volute, Bot., Zool. involution; curl, curlicue, ring, lock, kink, winding, helix, circle, rondure, Bot. tendril.
9. roster, register, muster, muster roll, beadroll, attendance; list, Sports, line-up, Law. panel, slate, ticket, ballot, docket; catalogue, inventory, directory, book of names, atlas, index, yellow pages.
10. spool, reel, bobbin, roller, cylinder; ball, loaf, head, bundle, bunch; dossier, file, package, packet.
11. Cookery, bun, scone, biscuit, Brit, cookie; bread, pastry, cake, Inf. sweet.
12. undulation, wave, waviness, curve, curviness; hilliness, ripple, billow.
13. rumble, thunder, thundering, thunderclap, roar, boom, bellowing, fulmination; reverberation, resonance, echoing, reechoing; drumroll, ratatat, pitapat, pitter-patter; vibration, tremor, rattle, quake, quiver, quaver, shake, trembling, Both Music, vibrato, tremolo; whir, hum, buzz, singing.
14. Slang, bankroll, money, pocketful of bills, full wallet; bundle, wad, pile.
rollick, v. frisk, gambol, romp; party, carouse, revel, make merry. See - romp (defs. 1, 2).
rollicking, adj. jolly, jocose, jaunty, swaggering; frolicsome, sportive, jovial, jocund; playful, frisky, lively, sprightly; merry, blithe, happy, cheerful, spirited; gay, buoyant, free and easy, breezy, airy; spry, vivacious, animated, sparkling, rattling, hearty, waggish.
romance, n. 1. fiction, novel, story, tale, narrative; love story, torrid romance; fairy tale, heroic epic, legend, science fiction, fantasy, Western, spy thriller, Inf thriller; Gothic novel, horror story, ghost story, Inf. spine-tingler.
2. invention, concoction, trumped-up story; flight of fancy, fabrication, tall tale, cock-and-bull story, fish story, exaggeration, bosh; equivocation, shift, shifti-