19. sort, kind, style, type, stamp; spirit, vein, grain, streak, stripe; quality, nature.
20. tendency, inclination, leaning, propensity, proclivity; proneness, predisposition, bias; bent, direction, set, turn, predilection; disposition, humor, mood, temperament, constitution.
21. computation, reckoning, addition, calculation; sum, total, count.
22. forecast, prediction, prognosis, prophecy, foretelling; conjecture, guess, estimate.
castaway, n. 1. discard, castoff, Inf. throw-out, (of cards) slough; reject, factory reject, second, irregular; hand-me-down.
2. outcast, pariah, Ishmael, unperson, nonperson; exile, expatriate, political refugee, outlaw, excommunicate; waif, stray, foundling; rejectee.
3. wanderer, vagabond, rover, itinerant, nomad, knight-of-the-road; beachcomber, vagrant, hobo, tramp; beggar, panhandler, scavenger; derelict, down-and-outer, U.S. Inf. bum.
-adj. 4. adrift, cast adrift, shipwrecked, marooned, derelict, abandoned, forsaken, Naut. ahull; stranded, aground, grounded, stuck.
5. thrown away, discarded, rejected, unwanted, sloughed off, Inf. junked, Inf. trashed; second-hand, used, Euph. pre-owned, hand-me-down,
caste, n. class, rank, order, degree; position, standing, place, station, condition, status; sphere, affiliation, group, family, clan, lineage, descent, ancestry,
castigate, v. 1. punish, discipline, chastise, chasten; spank, slap, strike, smite, baste, cuff, box, pummel; thump, beat, lace, drub, cane, birch, switch, trounce, thrash, strap, whip, horsewhip, flail, flog, lash, scourge, flagellate.
2. criticize, scold, blame, chide, reproach, censure, take to task, Inf. call on the carpet, Inf. haul over the coals, SI. stick it to [s.o.]; correct, admonish, reprove, rebuke, reprimand, upbraid, berate, fustigate, objurgate, dress down, humble, Inf. tell [s.o.] off, SI. put down; penalize, punish,
castle, n. 1. stronghold, fortress, citadel, keep, tower, donjon, hold.
2. palace, manor house, hall, chateau, mansion, chalet.
castrate, v. 1. asexualize, emasculate, ovariecto-mize, oophorectomize; alter, (of horses) geld, Inf. fix, Inf. cut, (of female animals) spay, (of fowl) capon, New England (of animals) deacon; eunuchize, unman, effeminize, womanize.
2. expurgate, purge, censor, bowdlerize, Inf clean up; impoverish, weaken, debilitate, take the teeth out of, render ineffectual,
castration, n. asexualization, effeminization, Surgery. orchidectomy; ovariectomy, oophorectomy; altering, gelding, unmanning,
casual, adj. 1. chance, fortuitous, serendipitous, Inf. fluky or flukey; unexpected, unanticipated, unforeseen, unforeseeable, unlooked-for.
2. offhand, offhanded, facile, easy, effortless, loose, smooth, slick; perfunctory, cursory, throwaway; nonchalant, blasú, cool, relaxed, at east, easy-going; informal, unceremonious, (of clothes) sporty.
3. indifferent, apathetic, unconcerned, uncaring, pococurante, uninterested, disinterested; listless, lackadaisical, half-hearted; dispassionate, inexcitable, lukewarm, tepid; carefree, free-and-easy, insouciant, devil-may-care.
4. random, haphazard, hit-or-miss, hit-and-miss, arbitrary, capricious, promiscuous, leaving much to chance; irregular, unsystematic, systemless, unmethodical, methodless, indiscriminate; orderless, undirected, aimless, indefinite, vague; careless, thoughtless; desultory, fitful, spasmodic, sporadic, erratic.