barefaced, adj. 1. straightforward, undisguised, unconcealed, literal; frank, plainspoken, candid, bluff; open, overt, manifest, clear; revealed, disclosed, displayed, shown, exhibited; blatant, glaring, flagrant, arrant, notorious, baldfaced.
2. audacious, impudent, insolent, impertinent, assuming, presumptuous; overconfident, brazen, immodest, bold-faced, brassy, rude; shameless, unabashed, unblushing, unreserved, forward, outspoken, Inf. fresh, bumptious, Inf. nervy, Inf. pushy; bold, pert, Archaic, malapert, saucy, Inf. cheeky, flippant, defiant; indecorous, inappropriate, unseemly, indecent.
barefoot, adj. shoeless, unshoed, unshod, barefooted; (usu. in regard to members of certain religious orders) discalced.
barehanded, adj. 1. ungloved, ungauntleted, un-mitted, unmittened; unprotected, vulnerable.
2. unarmed, weaponless, powerless, helpless; unprepared, unequipped, untooled, unaided, unassisted, by oneself, SI. all by one's lonesome,
barely, adv. 1. only, just, only just, hardly; by the skin of one's teeth, with difficulty; scarcely, no more than.
2. openly, unconcealingly, revealingly, exposingly, nakedly.
bareness, n. 1. nakedness, nudeness, nudity, undress; disrobement, divestment, divestiture; baldness, featherlessness.
2. plainness, simpleness, simplicity, pureness, purity; severity, starkness, austerity; brevity, laconism; unadornment, unembellishment, unornamentation, inelegance; colorlessness, uncoloredness, monotony, dullness, prosaism; rawness, roughness, unpainted-ness; desolateness, desolation, bleakness, grimness, gauntness.
3. emptiness, barrenness, leanness, blankness, voidness, hollowness; insufficiency, meagerness, spareness, inadequacy, scantiness, deficiency.
4. straightforwardness, openness, literality, clearness, unequivocalness.
bargain, n. 1. agreement, understanding, arrangement, stipulation; covenant, bond, compact, contract, concordat, convention, deed, indenture; transaction, deal; negotiation, settlement, treaty, mise, cartel, entente.
2. discount, reduction, Inf. a good deal, Inf. buy, Inf. giveaway, Inf. a steal.
3. in or
into the bargain moreover, besides, over
and above, additionally, in addition to, as well as. -v. 4. barter, haggle, Scot. argle-bargle, higgle, chaffer, dicker, bandy, Inf. beat down, Offensive, jew down; exchange, trade, swap, traffic, truck, peddle, vend, sell.
5. agree, settle, negotiate, come to terms, make terms; transact, deal, arrange, stipulate; covenant, contract, pledge, promise, plight.
6. bargain for anticipate, expect, count on, foresee, look for, reckon upon, think likely, surmise.
bargain-basement, adj. 1. cheap, inferior, tatty, SI. schlock, SI. rinky-dink, SI. crummy, Inf. chintzy, SI. cheesy; second-rate, third-rate, Inf. dime-store; gaudy, gimcrack, tasteless, Inf. tacky.
2. reasonable, inexpensive, low-priced, moderately priced, priced to fit the pocketbook, priced to move, Inf. budget.
bargaining, n. barter, trade, exchange, traffic, dealing, interchange, business, commerce; peddling, vending, selling, swapping, trucking; dickering, higgling, haggling, chaffering, Scot. argle-bargle.
barge, n. 1. flatboat, lighter, houseboat, transport, raft; canal boat, freighter, tanker, Naut. hoy; state barge, bucentaur.