guileful, adj. cunning, artful, crafty, wily, sly, subtle, foxy, vulpine, feline; shrewd, canny, Inf. cagey, Scot. and North Eng. pawky, sharp; shifty, slick, smooth, slippery, stealthy; deceitful, deceptive, tricky, underhanded, crooked, double-dealing; insidious, scheming, plotting, designing, calculating; perfidious, treacherous, traitorous. guileless, adj. 1. open, open-hearted, ingenuous, sincere, genuine, undeceptive, undeceitful, undeceiving, unfeigning, undissembling, undissimulating; aboveboard, open and aboveboard, up front, up and up, on the level, no-nonsense; honorable, just, fair, straight, square, upright, upstanding, fair and square, square-dealing, plain-dealing, square-shooting, straight-shooting; honest, trustworthy, Inf. trusty, uncorrupt, uncorrupted, Inf. O.K.
2. candid, frank, forthright, foursquare, direct, straightforward, straight-from-the-shoulder; plain, plain-spoken, plain-speaking, downright, outright, explicit, unequivocal, unambiguous, undisguised, undis-guising, Inf. straight-out, Inf. flatfooted, Inf. matter-of-fact; outspoken, free-spoken, free-speaking, free-tongued, free, unreticent, bold, unreserved, unrestrained, unconstrained, unchecked, uncurbed, unabashed, uninhibited, unsparing, unshrinking; blunt, bluff, brusque, brash, tactless.
3. artless, naive, simple, simple-minded, innocent, childlike; unsophisticated, undeveloped, unworldly, green, born yesterday, wet behind the ears; unsuspicious, trustful, trusting, unwary, unguarded. guilt, n. 1. guiltiness, culpability, Latin, culpa, criminality; illegality, illicitness, illegitimacy, illegitimateness, lawlessness, unlawfulness; reprehen-sibility, blame, blameworthiness, censurability, censurableness, reproachableness; feloniousness, wrongfulness, sinfulness.
2. remorse, regret, contrition, contriteness, compunction; sorrow, sorrowfulness, penitence, repentance; self-reproach, self-accusation, self-condemnation, self-reproof. guiltless, adj. innocent, free from guilt, clear, SI. clean; blameless, inculpable, unblamable, uncensura-ble, unimpeachable, irreproachable, above reproach, above suspicion, like Caesar's wife; sinless, stainless, spotless, immaculate, pure; uncorrupted, undefiled, untainted, unspotted, unsullied, unsoiled, unblemished, unmarred, untarnished; faultless, sterling, perfect, saintly, without fault. guilty, adj. 1. culpable, criminal, unlawful, illegal, illicit, illegitimate, lawless; reprehensible, condemna-ble, reproachable, blameworthy, blamable, at fault, censurable; felonious, wrong, amiss, penitentiary, transgressive; condemned, convicted, sentenced.
2. sinful, peccant, erring, errant; wicked, iniquitous, nefarious, villainous, heinous, flagitious; corrupt, unholy, demeritorious.
3. remorseful, regretful, contrite, compunctious; sorry, sorrowful, penitent, repentant, penitential; conscience-stricken, conscience-smitten, self-condemning, self-accusing, self-reproaching; hangdog, sheepish.
4. red-handed, Latin, in flagrante delicto, SI. caught with one's pants down, Inf. caught with one's hand in the cookie jar. guise, n. 1. external appearance, aspect, look, semblance, outward form, exterior, image, likeness; figure, visage, face, countenance, features; mien, air, cast, character, presence, attitude; demeanor, bearing, carriage, deportment, conduct, behavior; cover, Inf. front, show, pretense, presentment.