4. lay in provisions, lay up stores, lay by, husband one's resources, salt or squirrel away.
5. arrange for, make arrangements for; support, maintain, sustain, secure, uphold; care for, take care of, look after, take charge of, take under one's wing, attend or minister to; finance, back, sponsor, fund, patronize, provide money or capital for, put up the money, grubstake, Inf. stake, Inf. angel, Inf bankroll.
provided, conj. on condition that, in case that, in case, if, if and only if, if it should happen that; in the event that, just in case, in any or either case; providing, with the proviso that, on condition, on condition that, with the stipulation or understanding, subject to, contingent upon.
providence, n. 1. divine intervention, God's will, predetermination; destiny, fate, fortune, lot, cup, portion, doom; karma, kismit; Fortune's wheel, wheel of fortune, stars, planets, astral influence; chance, mere chance, happenstance, fortuity, serendipity, happy chance; accident, uncertainty, luck, fortune; vicissitudes, ups and downs, fickle finger of fate.
2. foresight, prudence, care, judgment, discretion, discrimination, sagacity, perspicacity, judiciousness, presence of mind; caution, readiness, preparation, precaution, heed, watchfulness, farsightedness, longsightedness, circumspection.
3. economy, husbandry, careful or thrifty management, conservation; conserving, saving, economizing; thrift, thriftiness, frugality, frugalness, sparingness, cutting corners, making ends meet; keeping, safekeeping, care.
provident, adj. providential, farsighted, long-sighted, sagacious, judicious, thoughtful; prepared, ready, anticipating, equipped, with one's lamps trimmed; precautionary, wary, discreet, precautious, at the ready, in practice or shape, ready for anything, Inf. all set.
providential, adj. 1. auspicious, propitious, favorable, advantageous, ripe; opportune, seasonable, timely, well-timed, just in time, convenient; encouraging, promising, full of promise; rosy, bright, fair, sunny, golden, benign, benignant.
2. lucky, fortuitous, happy, felicitous, Scot. and North Eng., Irish Eng. sonsy, fortunate; favored, blessed, blessed with luck, with God's blessing; granted, bestowed, God-given, given, allowed, accorded, vouchsafed, gratuitous.
provider, n. 1. supporter, sole support, head of the household, breadwinner, Inf. one who brings home the bacon, Inf. one who puts food on the table.
2. patron, giver, donor, contributor, backer, financ-er, funder, angel; bestower, Law. grantor, imparter, fairy godmother, Lady Bountiful, Santa Claus, Inf. sugar daddy, Inf. soft touch; philanthropist, do-gooder.
3. supplier, furnisher, procurer, purveyor, provi-sioner, caterer.
province, n. 1. state, territory, region, area, district, division, zone, section, quarter, estate, pale, lands, demesne; dependency, dominion, realm, domain; ar-rondissement, canton, department; precinct, constituency, parish, borough, county; city, township, town, village, community; ward, neighborhood.
2. bailiwick, jurisdiction, beat, circuit, round, post, billet, station, berth; assignment, part, job, situation, place; sphere, compass, orbit, locale, locality, Inf. neck of the woods; authority, charge, function, capacity, role.
3. discipline, field, specialty, forte, specialization, branch, school, art, science; employment, line, occupation, business, trade, profession, Inf. racket, Inf.