2. erase, rub out, scrape out, scratch out; delete, Print, dele, blue-pencil, edit, edit out; cross out, x out, cancel, black out, mark off; wash out, sponge off or away; excise, cut, cut out.
expurgate, v. censor, purge, cleanse, Inf. clean up, sanitize, delete expletives, bowdlerize; weaken, soften, refine, debilitate; castrate, emasculate, pull the teeth from, take the teeth out of, T. V. blip,
exquisite, adj. 1. beautiful, attractive, handsome, good-looking, Scot. bonny, comely; striking, showy, smart, chic, elegant; small, fragile, delicate, graceful, subtle, ethereal.
2. admirable, excellent, fine, rare, consummate, precious, perfect; choice, select, superior, outstanding, matchless, peerless, incomparable; ornate, splendid, wonderful.
3. intense, acute, keen, piercing, excruciating, sharp, poignant.
4. discriminating, fastidious, sensitive, appreciative; discerning, knowing, educated, trained, refined.
extant, adj. existing, existent, in existence, subsisted; surviving, living, alive, present,
extemporaneous, adj. 1. improvised, improvisatory, off-the-cuff, ad-lib, unprepared, unstudied, extempore; impromptu, on-the-spot, spur-of-the-moment, informal; impulsive, unexpected, sudden.
2. makeshift, temporary, impermanent, occasional,
extempore, adv. spontaneously, offhand, impromptu, extemporaneously; freely, without restriction, without deliberation, impulsively, suddenly, on the spur of the moment, at a moment's notice; ad lib, off the top of one's head, off the cuff, on the spot,
extemporize, v. improvise, ad-lib, play it by ear, wing it, think on one's feet; (all improvisational) create, invent, originate, make up, fabricate; compose, perform, execute,
extend, v. 1. spread, outspread, spread out, branch out, Mil. deploy; unfold, unfurl, stretch out, draw out, straighten out, open; stretch, spread, sprawl; reach, run, range.
2. offer, proffer, submit; grant, give, bestow, confer, impart, present; hold forth, hold out, reach out, put forth, carry forward, yield.
3. expand, increase, enlarge, make larger, make bigger, make greater, Chiefly Literary, greaten, aggrandize; widen, thicken, broaden; dilate, distend, inflate, bloat, puff out, blow up, swell, intumesce, tumefy; fill out, fatten.
4. lengthen, elongate, place at full length; prolong, prolongate, protract, spin out; continue, perpetuate, keep up, string on, carry on, drag on, drag out; maintain, preserve, sustain.
5. develop, enlarge on, expound on or upon, detail; magnify, amplify, enhance, deepen, heighten; intensify; concentrate; exaggerate, maximize, make much of, make the most of, overstate.
6. augment, supplement, add to, superadd to; accrue, accumulate, amass; multiply, double, redouble, treble, triple, quadruple.
7. escalate, step up, give a boost to, SI. soup up, SI. hop up, SI. jazz up; accelerate, snowball, mushroom; exacerbate, aggravate.
extension, n. 1. spread, spreading out, branching out, Mil. deployment; unfolding, unfurling, stretching out, drawing out, straightening out, opening; stretch, spread, sprawl; diffusion, dissemination, dispersion, dispersal.
2. lengthening, elongation, prolongation, protraction; continuation, perpetuation, stringing on, carrying on, dragging on, dragging out; postponement, de-
My Account / Test History
I put my watch with the radio news.
I set my watch by the radio news.