park, n. 1. village green, green, greens, common, commons, square, greensward, quadrangle, quad, plaza; parkland, woodland, woods, forest, grove; grassland, field, meadow; grounds, lawn, yard; garden, pleasure garden, pleasance, formal garden.
2. British, reservation, reserve, preserve, sanctuary, Chiefly Brit, chase.
3. U.S. valley, dale, vale, dell.
4. parking lot, car park, parking garage, car port, driveway, lot, parking space.
5. enclosure, stadium, ballpark, bowl, arena, coliseum.
-v. 6. (all usu. of cars, bicycles, etc.) pull over,
pull up, pull in, garage, curb it.
7. Informal, place, put, set, seat, station, leave,
parkway, n. 1. highway, main road, highroad, thoroughfare, public road, roadway; drive, avenue, boulevard, strip, Inf. drag; turnpike, pike, tollroad, state highway, U.S. Inf interstate; freeway, Brit. clearway, expressway, causeway, throughway; speedway, (in Germany) autobahn, superhighway.
2. sidewalk, pedestrian way, footpath, promenade, esplanade, walkway.
parlance, n. 1. idiom, vernacular, tongue, dialect, speech, talk, language; phraseology, phrasing, wording, manner or style of speech, diction, Linguistics. idiolect; patois, brogue, twang, accent; jargon, Inf. lingo, cant, argot; slang, street language, Obs. flash; colloquialism, provincialism, regionalism, localism.
2. discourse, discussion, parley. See - parley (defs. 1, 2).
parley, n. 1. discussion, palaver, dialogue, interchange, discourse, consultation, debate, deliberation, negotiation, Archaic, parle; conference, huddle, meeting, summit, colloquy, colloquium, forum, round table; convention, conclave, congress, caucus, session, council, parliament, assembly.
2. conversation, exchange, talk, word, tete-El-tete; chat, confabulation, Inf: confab, SI. rap or rap session, SI. bull session.
-v. 3. confer, hold a conference, palaver, consult together, deliberate, negotiate, Inf. powwow, Inf. put heads together, Inf. talk turkey; discuss, talk over, exchange views, compare notes, have a dialogue or interchange; meet, convene, sit down together, Inf. huddle, Inf. go into a huddle.
4. converse, talk, have a word with; chat, confabulate, Inf. confab, SI. jaw, SI. rap, SI. shoot the breeze or bull, SI. schmooze, Archaic, chin,
parliament, n. 1. Usu.
Parliament British legislature, House of Lords, Lords Spiritual, Lords Temporal, House of Commons.
2. legislature, congress, senate, diet, assembly, upper and lower house or chamber, Both Early Eng. Hist. witangemot, witan; lawmakers, Inf. grey beards; council, board, panel, lawmaking or governing body; Congress of the United States, U.S. Senate, U.S. House of Representatives; General Assembly, House of Delegates, (in the U.S.S.R.) Soviet, (in Russia) Duma, (in France) Chamber of Deputies, Austrian and German Hist. Reichstag, (both in West Germany) Bundesrat, Bundestag, (in Sweden) Riksdag, (all in Denmark) Folketing, Rigsdag, Landsding, (in Eire) Oireachtas, (in Spain) Cortes, (in Portugal) Cortes Geraes, (in the Netherlands) States-General, (in Japan) House of Councilors or (formerly) Peers.
3. meeting, convention, convocation, conclave, summit, caucus, session; colloquy, colloquium, forum, round table; conference, parley, palaver, consultation, huddle, Archaic, parle.