ally, v. 1. confederate, league, unite, unionize, unify, conjoin, join with, join forces orhands, band together, team up, Inf.gang up, side with, go orgo along with, take part, Inf.hitch horses; join, combine, couple, yoke, pair, join together, bind together; wed, marry.
2. associate, interassociate, identify, relate, interrelate, correlate orcorelate, parallel, draw a parallel; connect, interconnect, link, interlink, equate, tie.
-n. 3. confederate, partner, comrade, comrade in arms, associate, consociate, socius, yokefellow or yokemate, companion, helpmate, helpmeet, Ohs.
help-fellow, co-worker, co-aid, co-partner, consort, confrere, sidekick, friend, Chiefly Brit,
mate; conspirator, fellow conspirator, conspirer, conniver, abettor, accomplice, accessory or Chiefly Law.
accessary, partner in crime, SI.gun moll ormoll; collaborator, cooperator, contributor, participant, participator; (all of nations)
satellite, captive nation, puppet government or regime.
4. analogue, correspondent, coordinate, correlative, correlate, compliment, companion, mate, equivalent; relative, kin, fellow; twin, mirror image, duplicate or exact duplicate, close match, close imitation, reproduction, facsimile, copy, replica.
5. helper, aid oraide, attendant, acolyte, deputy, subsidiary, adjutant, coadjutant, coadjutor, coadju-tress orcoadjutrix, adjunct, adjuvant, adjutator, Obs. adjutor, auxiliary, ancilla, second, man Friday, henchman, right hand, right-hand man.
almanac, n.yearbook, calendar, register, registry, annual, annals, Archaic, annal; astronomical table, ephemeris.
almighty, adj.1. omnipotent, all-powerful, pleni-potent; overpowering, overwhelming, overmastering, subduing, controlling; powerful, Literary,
puissant, potent; dominant, predominant, commanding, forcible, telling; despotic, autocratic, dictatorial, lordly, masterful; authoritative, influential.
extreme, excessive, great, enormous; terrible, awful, bad.
the Almighty. God, the Supreme Being, God Almighty; Supreme Goodness, Most High, Divine Being, the Deity, Divinity, Providence, the Godhead, Jehovah, Yahweh; God the Father, Divine Father, Father, Lord, Lord of lords, King of kings, King of glory; Creator, Author of all things, the Maker, the Maker of Heaven and Earth, the First Cause, the Light of the World; Ruler of Heaven and Earth, Sovereign of the Universe; the All-Powerful, the Omnipotent, the Omniscient, the All-knowing, the All-merciful, the Allwise; the Infinite, the Eternal, the Absolute.
virtually, as good as, Inf.just about, Inf.most; all but, for the most part, not quite, a little short of, barely, hardly, scarcely; nearly, near, next to, well-nigh, nigh, nigh upon oronto; close to, within an inch of, Inf.within an ace of, within a stone's throw, in the neighborhood orvicinity of; nearing, approaching, toward, verging on, on the brink orverge of, bordering on.
alms, n.1. charity, charitable donation, contribution, largess, bounty, benefaction, beneficence, offerings, maundy money; welfare assistance, welfare, dole, subsidy.
2. handout, gratuity, douceur, (in India, Turkey, etc.)
baksheesh, (in Chinese ports)
almsgiving, n.charity, largess, benevolence, benefaction, munificence, liberality, open-handedness, generosity; altruism, humanitarianism, philanthropy, big-heartedness, public spiritedness.
1. high up, up in the air orsky, in the clouds, far above the ground; skyward orskywards, toward the sky; in or to heaven, on high, in the firmament, in the celestial heights; overhead, over one's head, above, on a higher place, at a higher place, in a higher place; atop, at the top, on the top.