analects, n. pi. passages, selections, extracts, excerpts, quotations, citations; sayings, pieces; collectanea, analecta; compilation, abstract, compendium, anthology, florilegium.
analgesic, adj. pain-relieving, pain-killing, anesthetic; palliative, alleviative, relieving, soothing, assuasive; sedative, calmative, lenitive, abirritant, anodyne; emollient, demulcent, softening,
analogous, adj. 1. similar, comparable, like, not unlike; correspondent, corresponding, homologous, reciprocal, reciprocative, answering, matching, coinciding; kindred, akin, related, associated, allied, cognate.
2. equivalent, same; identical, alike, homogeneous, of a piece, of a kind, cast in the same mold,
analogy, n. 1. comparison, compare, comparability, comparableness, comparativeness, parallelism, analogousness; likeness, resemblance, semblance, partial similarity; affinity, kinship, relation, relationship; connection, coincidence, likening, comparing.
2. agreement, accordance, correspondence, correspondency, concurrence, conformity, conformance; similarity, parity, parallel, equivalence, equivalency, similitude, alikeness; uniformity, oneness, sameness; coequality, mutuality,
analysis, n. 1. dissection, breakdown, reduction, partition, dissociation, subdivision; disintegration, decomposition.
2. examination, investigation, study, inquiry; explication, explanation, interpretation, clarification; criticism, critique, review; summary, epitome, synopsis, abstract.
3. psychoanalysis, psychiatry, psychotherapy,
analyst, n. 1. investigator, fact-sifter, inquisitor;
examiner, assayer; evaluator, reviewer.
2. psychoanalyst, psychiatrist, alienist, SI. head-shrinker, SI. shrink,
analytical, adj. resolving into first principles, treat ing of analysis, separative, inquisitive, questioning, investigative, critical, interpretative, explanatory, explicative.
analyze, v. 1. separate, dissect, anatomize, break
down; fractionate, decompose, distill, disintegrate.
2. examine critically, investigate, question, inquire into; criticize, critique, review; explicate, explain, interpret, clarify,
anarchic, adj. 1. lawless, ungoverned, anarchical, anarchistic; Nihilist, Bolshevist, Bakuninist.
2. disorderly, disorganized, confused, deranged; tumultuous, turbulent, chaotic, riotous; rebellious, revolutionary, insurgent, mutinous; seditious, subversive, terroristic,
anarchist, n. 1. Nihilist, Boshevist, Bakuninist; renegade, fifth columnist, Archaic, anarch, apostate.
2. revolutionist, revolutionary, rebel, mutineer, insurrectionary, insurgent, rabble-rouser; subverter, seditionist, terrorist; malcontent, radical, iconoclast,
anarchy, n. 1. lawlessness, mobocracy, ochlocracy; Nihilism, Bolshevism, Bakuninism.
2. riot, chaos, disorder, disarray; disorganization, derangement, confusion, mess; tumult, turmoil, mayhem, bedlam, pandemonium; insurgence, insurrection, rebellion, revolution, uprising, mutiny; sedition, subversion, terrorism, apostasy,
anathema, n. 1. curse, malediction, imprecation, execration; fulmination, commination, denunciation, censure; condemnation, proscription, sentence, Theol. damnation; interdiction, excommunication, banishment, Eccles. ban.
2. the damned, ttye doomed, fallen angel; abomination, abhorrence, aversion, antipathy, Fr. bete noire.
anathematize, v. 1. curse, imprecate, execrate;