3. character, quality, air, atmosphere, aura, exhalation, emanation, essence, spirit; flavor, complexion, tone.
bourgeois, adj. 1. middle-class, propertied, landed; working-class, proletarian, plebian.
2. conventional, common, ordinary, unimaginative; philistine, unrefined, uncultivated, uncultured.
3. materialistic, money-oriented, acquisitive; capitalistic, noncommunistic, nonsocialistic.
bourn, n. 1. bound, limit, pale, extremity; frontier, boundary line, borderline, line of demarcation.
2. destination, goal, terminus, terminal point, finish, end, journey's end, end of the road, end of the line, last stop.
3. realm, domain, sphere, zone, range, ground, territory; area, vicinity, region, locale, locality.
bout, n. 1. boxing match, prizefight, spar, fist-fight; trial, trial of strength, test, contest, duel; match, meet, tilt, joust; conflict, fight, clash, scuffle, tussle, scrap, fisticuffs, exchange of blows, Inf. set-to.
2. turn, round, inning, Inf. go, SI. whack; shift, tour, stint, watch, time; period, spell, season, fit, stretch, run.
3. spree, fling, revel, carouse, debauch, drinking bout, drunk; All SI. bender, binge, toot, tear, jag, bust, bat, bar-hop, Brit, pub-crawl.
bovine, adj. 1. stolid, phlegmatic, torpid, hebetu-dinous, sluggish, spiritless, lifeless, inanimate.
2. dull, obtuse, dense, thick, thick-witted, slow-witted, dim-witted, dull-witted, dead between the ears, dead from the neck up; doltish, oafish, cloddish, lumpish, Boeotian.
bow1, v. 1. kneel before, salaam, genuflect, curtsey, nod, bob; prostrate oneself, fall on one's knees, lie prone, throw oneself at the feet of; bend the knee to, bend to, humble oneself to, defer to, stoop, get down.
2. bow and scrape grovel, truckle to, kowtow; lickspittle, lick [s.o.'s] shoes, like or kiss [s.o.'s] feet, kiss the hem of [s.o.'s] garment, SI. bootlick; court, pay court to, curry favor, keep time to, dance attendance upon, be at [s.o.'s] beck and call, agree to anything; toady, toady to, fawn, fawn upon, SI. fall all over; All SI. shine up to, play up to, suck up to, apple-polish, butter-up, brown-nose.
3. submit, yield, surrender, give in, give way to; capitulate, succumb to, fall, bite the dust, lay down arms; resign oneself, acquiesce, throw in the towel, give up the ship, cease the struggle, grin and bear it.
4. subdue, subjugate, conquer, vanquish, suppress, overcome, overwhelm, overpower; crush, smash, humble, humiliate, bring [s.o.] to his knees; master, dominate, domineer, rule, control, govern, boss, lead by the nose; sway, influence, move, affect, dispose, predispose, warp, distort.
5. curve, bend, turn, swerve; flex, crook, twist, contort; arch, vault, camber, inflect.
-n. 6. genuflection, prostration; bob, nod, curtsey, salaam, kowtow; greeting, salutation, salute, how-do-you-do.
bow2, n. 1. sling, slingshot, Brit, catapult, arbalest,
2. bend, curve, curvature, sinus, Math, catenary, incurvation; arc, arch, arcuation, vault, camber, convexity, horseshoe; hook, crook, coil, spiral; crescent, halfmoon, semi-circle, lune, meniscus; circle, wheel; wave, curl, crimp; parabola, hyperbola.
3. twist, bias, warp, veer, swerve, slue, skew; angle, inflection, dogleg; fold, flexune.
4. archer, bowman, toxophilite.
-v. 5. curve, bend, turn, swerve; flex, crook; arch, vault, camber, inflect.