-v. 3. house, shelter, give shelter to, lodge, provide lodging for, put up, take in, have as a guest or lodger, roof, provide with a roof; quarter, provide quarters for, billet, bed, berth, bunk, board, provide room and board.
4, conceal, hide, shield, screen, cloak, cover, cover up, Archaic, shroud; protect, guard, safeguard, secure, keep.
5. cherish, hold dear, hold, have, have and hold, hold onto; maintain, entertain, believe, imagine, fancy.
hard, adj. 1. firm, solid, solidified, compact, condensed, close, compressed, pressed; flinty, stony, rocky, steely, concrete, hardened, petrified, stonelike, rocklike, glassy, lithoid, marblelike, granitelike; strong, substantial, stout, fixed, stable, sound, set; tight, secure, fast, not easily cut or separated; tough, callous, horny, leathery, coriaceous; unyielding, resistant, renitent; impervious, impenetrable, impregnable, thick, dense, repelling, unassailable; rigid, stiff, un-malleable, unpliable, rugged.
2. fatiguing, exhausting, arduous, laborious, heavy, strenuous, toilsome, uphill, full of obstacles, Herculean, Inf. wicked, Inf. rough, Inf. tough, Inf. nasty; rigorous, not easy, exacting, painstaking, tedious, unmit-igating, endless, tiresome, boring.
3. perplexing, knotty, puzzling, enigmatic; baffling, bewildering, labyrinthine, inextricable; complicated, tangled, complex, involved; trying, unmanageable, unwieldy, awkward, clumsy, incomprehensible, insolv-able, irresoluble, irreducible; vague, obscure, deep, profound, inscrutable; nice, delicate, ticklish, thorny.
4. oppressive, pitiless, ruthless, harsh, cruel, merciless, unrelenting; unfeeling, insensible, unsympathetic, unemotional. See - hard-boiled, hard-handed, and
5. bad, unendurable, unbearable, intolerable, insupportable, insufferable; afflictive, injurious, consuming; grievous, disastrous, calamitous, devastating; intense, racking, agonizing, torturous, distressing, painful, excruciating.
6. hard-working, persevering, plodding, earnest, diligent, industrious, unflagging, untiring, resolute, unfaltering; conscientious, assiduous, sedulous, determined, persistent, constant, enduring, indefatigable; keen, intent, ardent, eager, zealous, avid, energetic, vigorous, dynamic, aggressive, operose.
7. (of a beverage) alcoholic, strong, corned, turned, overpowering, SI. pickling, Si. strong enough to grow hair on one's chest or on a cueball.
8. (of drugs) addictive, habit-forming; detrimental, injurious, deleterious, noxious, harmful.
9. (of bread) crusty, crunchy, chewy; crisp, stale, dry, crackly. -adv. 10. strenuously, heavily, with might and main, laboriously, arduously, toilsomely, industriously, with all one's might, by the sweat of one's brow; earnestly, intently, diligently, persistently, perseveringly; conscientiously, unfalteringly, indefatigably, untiringly, energetically, actively, dynamically, vigorously, with vigor, lustily; intensely, keenly, avidly, eagerly, heartily, spiritedly, ardently, urgently, zealously; constantly, undeviatingly, incessantly, steadily, sedulously, studiously, unswervingly, ploddingly, steadfastly, determinedly, tenaciously; severely, austerely, emphatically, vehemently, relentlessly; exactingly, painstakingly, slowly.
11. harshly, severely, mercilessly, pitilessly; with a heavy hand, overbearingly, tyrannically, unbearably, insufferably, onerously, high-handedly; violently, forcibly, fiercely, ruthlessly, savagely, madly, wildly.