10. rather than, in preference to, in favor of.
11. north of, north from, northward of, northward from; toward the north; northwards, northerly, northwardly.
above all, first and foremost, in the first place, most important of all, before anything else, before anything; principally, chiefly, paramountly, supremely, pre-eminently; especially, particularly, peculiarly, expressly; mainly, primarily, essentially, mostly, predominantly.
-adj. 13. written above, above-mentioned, abovestated, aforesaid, aforementioned, aforestated; aforenamed, aforegiven, aforecited; already stated, previously described, described above, indicated earlier, previously indicated or specified; earlier, foregoing, preceding, precedent, former; antecedent, previous, prevenient, prior, anterior.
-n. 14. above-written, above-mentioned, abovestated, aforesaid, aforementioned, aforestated; aforenamed, aforecited, aforegiven.
15. heaven, firmament, sky, space, infinity; celestial expanse, the vault of heaven, the canopy of heaven; abode of God and angels, our Father's house, Abraham's bosom, heavenly kingdom, heavenly city; next world, world beyond the grave, happy hunting grounds, paradise.
aboveboard, adv. 1. overtly, openly, in open sight, in the open, out in the open, in full view, in plain view, publicly, in public, in public view, for all to see; up front, on the table; before one's eyes, Inf. under one's nose; to one's face, face to face, man to man, heart to heart.
2. candidly, frankly, forthrightly, directly, straightforwardly; explicitly, unequivocally, undisguisedly, plainly, in plain words or English, with no nonsense, all joking aside; outspokenly, freely, boldly, unreservedly, unrestrainedly, unconstrainedly, uninhibitedly, unshrinkingly.
3. truly, truthfully, veraciously; guilelessly, ingenuously, sincerely, artlessly, naively, simply, undecep-tively, undeceitfully, undeceivingly, without artifice.
4. honestly, uprightly, upstandingly; honorably, respectively, fairly, decently, justly.
-adj. 5. open, open and aboveboard, straight, square, square-dealing, fair and square, square-shooting, straight-shooting; legitimate, up and up, SI. on the up-and-up, up front, on the level, no-nonsense; honorable, respectable, reputable, creditable, estimable.
6. candid, frank, forthright, direct, straightforward, straight-from-the-shoulder, man-to-man, heart-to-heart; plain, plain-spoken, plain-speaking, downright, outright, explicit, unequivocal, unambiguous, undisguised, Inf. flat-footed; outspoken, free, free-spoken, free-speaking, unreticent, bold, unreserved, unrestrained, unconstrained, unchecked, unabashed, uninhibited, unshrinking.
7. guileless, ingenuous, sincere, genuine, artless, naive, simple, transparent, undeceptive, undeceitful, undeceiving, undissembling; true, truthful, veracious.
8. honest, upright, upstanding; fair, honorable, decent, just.
abracadabra, n. 1. incantation, chant, magic formula, magic word, invocation, conjuration; mumbo-jumbo, hocus-pocus, open-sesame; charm, spell, rune, Scot. cantrip; sorcery, magic, apotropaism.
2. gibberish, jabber, Jabberwocky, chatter, prattle, cackle, gibber; babble, babblement, prate, tattle, twaddle, Brit, twattle; patter, gabble, blather, rapid and inarticulate talk; jargon, gobbledegook; nonsense, balderdash, balderal, babbling, Fr. bavardage; humbug, flummery, SI. bunk, rubbish, Inf. rot, SI. garbage, SI. horsefeathers; hogwash, stuff and nonsense, fudge, foolishness, rigmarole or rigamarole, amphi-gory; poppycock, Inf. fiddle-faddle, Inf. piffle, drivel, Inf. bosh, Inf. kibosh, Inf. flapdoodle.
Later he became a full time worker of the Hindu nationalist rganisation Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS). For a while Vajpayee studied law, but midstream he chose to become a journalist. This choice was largely influenced by the fact that as a student he had been an activist in Indias struggle for freedom. He edited Rashtradharma (a Hindi monthly), Panchjanya (a Hindi weekly) and the dailies Swadesh and Veer Arjun. Vajpayee never married and has remained a bachelor his entire life.