petite bourgeoisie, n. 1. lower middle class; middle class, bourgeoisie, bourgeois; middle orders, shopkeepers, small tradesmen.
2. the common people, the masses, the hoi polloi, Jocular, the booboisie; Middle America, the silent majority, the grass roots; commonalty, the public, the general public, citizenry.
petition, n. 1. suit, request, requisition, application, address.
2. supplication, obsecration, obtestation, impetra-tion, solicitation, invocation, adjuration, imploration, beseechment, Eccles. rogation; plea, prayer, orison, appeal, entreaty, humble request.
-v. 3. request, apply to, appeal to, call on or
upon, adjure; solicit, sue, address, bid.
4. beg for, pray for, plead for; supplicate, implore, entreat, adjure, obtest; solicit, beseech, obsecrate, imprecate, impetrate, importune.
petitioner, n. solicitor, suitor, suppliant, supplicant, beseecher, petitionist; applicant, bidder, solicitant; candidate, aspirant, postulant, seeker; claimant, complainant, plaintiff, appellant, party.
pet name, n. diminutive, hypocorism; nickname, sobriquet, cognomen, agnomen, appellation.
petrifaction, n. 1. ossification, fossilization, Archaic, lapidification, mineralization, petrification; calcification, crystallization; induration, hardening, solidification, stiffening.
2. numbing, benumbing, dulling, blunting; drugging, anesthetization, stunning, paralysation, incapacitation, insensitization; stupefying, shocking, dazing, electrifying.
3. scaring, frightening, terrifying, shocking, appalling, unnerving; terrorizing, intimidation, intimidating, disturbing, distressing.
4. hardness, firmness, solidity, compactness, density; frozenness, stiffness, stoniness, bonelikeness, rigidity, rigidness.
5. fear, dread, fright, Inf. funk, fearfulness; terror, horror, panic; alarm, perturbation, consternation, trepidation; apprehension, worry, disquietude, concern.
petrified, adj. 1. ossified, osseous, fossilized, turned to stone, Both Archaic, lapidified, lapidific; mineralized, horny, corneous, bony, sclerotic; calcified, vitrified, vitreous, crystallized, crystalline; indurate, indurated, hard, hardened, hard as a rock, hard as stone, stony, stonelike, lithoid, lithoidal, rocky, rock-like, aphanitic, porphyritic; solid, solidified, dense, densified; concrete, granitic, flinty; adamantine, steely, callous, strong.
2. stupefied, paralyzed, benumbed, numbed, dumb, incapacitated, insensitized; anesthetized, stunned, frozen; staggered, taken aback, floored, shocked, jarred, jolted,
Inf. bowled over; dumfounded, speechless, struck dumb,
Inf. flabbergasted; shocked, electrified, dazed.
3. panic-stricken, terrified, horrified, terror-stricken, horror-stricken, scared out of one's wits; startled, overcome with fear, overwhelmed, afraid, frightened; frozen with terror, pale as a ghost, white as a sheet; shaken, shaking, shaking like an aspen, quivering, quavering.
petrify, v. 1. ossify, fossilize, turn to stone, Archaic, lapidify, mineralize; calcify, vitrify, crystallize; indurate, harden, make hard, become hard, strengthen, stiffen, starch; solidify, densify, inspissate, Pharm. incrassate, thicken; steel, toughen, vulcanize.