matron, n. 1. dame, matriarch, Inf. old lady, dowager, lady, grandmother.
2. warden, housemother, head mistress; governess, housekeeper, stewardess; supervisor, overseer, directress; head nurse, principal. matronly, adj. maternal, matriarchal, motherly, grandmotherly, wifely; mature, middle-aged, mellow, venerable; respected, admired; sedate, proper, decorous, dignified; serious, grave, sober; plump, rounded, settled, portly, matted, adj. 1. tangled, snarled, snaggy, tangly, knotted, raveled; tousled, disheveled, bedraggled, Inf mussed up; raddled, rumpled, tumbled.
2. plaited, woven, braided, twilled; interlaced, intertwined, interwoven.
3. shaggy, hairy, hirsute, hispid, crinose; woolly, fleecy, furry, curly, fuzzy; uncombed, unshorn, mopheaded. matter, n. 1. substance, material, stuff, materiality, medium, something, body; protoplasm, plasma, element; flesh, meat, marrow, sum and substance.
2. pus, suppuration, purulence, discharge; ooze, juice, sap, latex, milk; mucus, phlegm, grume, gore; All Pathol, gleet, sanies, ichor, leukorrhea.
3. situation, affair, state; business, proceeding, transaction, doing; thing, concern, concernment; event, circumstance, happening, happenstance, occasion; episode, incident, adventure, experience; particular, phenomenon, fact, article, case, instance.
4. subject, topic, focus, text, content; essence, gist, purport; point, issue, question, case, concern; thesis, motif, theme.
5. amount, extent, measure, quantity, sum; magnitude, mass, bulk, size.
6. consequence, significance, importance, moment, weight, pith; import, implication, signification, intention; meaning, tenor, drift, purport, sense.
7. difficulty, trouble, distress, ailment, worry; embarrassment, predicament, plight, pass, strait, pinch, mess; quandary, dilemma, problem, puzzle, perplexity, enigma.
8. ground, cause, basis, reason, rationale, Sl. what for; explanation, excuse, pretext, pretense; the why, the wherefore, the why and wherefore, Inf. the idea, Sl. the big idea.
9. as a matter of fact actually, in reality, really, truly, veritably; truthfully, in truth, to tell the truth; in point of fact, in fact, in effect, Fr. au fait.
10. no matter it makes no difference, it is unimportant, it doesn't count; pay it no mind, don't give it another thought, don't bother with it; don't worry about it, never mind, forget it, Inf drop it.
-v. 11. signify, import, be of importance, purport, bespeak; indicate, imply, mean, connote, denote, express; weigh, carry weight, count, make a difference, make no difference, tell, amount to. matter-of-fact, adj. 1. factual, strict, literal, word-for-word, line-for-line, verbatim, exact, precise, close; faithful, accurate, true, honest, straight, unexaggerated, unvarnished, undistorted, unadulterated, unwarped; prosaic, prosy, unpoetic, plain, plainspoken, uncreative, unimaginative, unembellished; uninteresting, unexciting, unentertaining, tame, dull, flat, insipid, jejune, dry, arid; ordinary, commonplace, pedestrian, everyday, workaday, usual, average, Inf. run-of-the-mill; unoriginal, stale, banal, hackneyed, trite; boring, humdrum, plodding, monotonous, tedious, tiresome, wearisome, Inf. ho-hum.
2. practical, pragmatic, pragmatical, realistic, down-to-earth, Inf. meat and potatoes, Inf. nuts and bolts;