2. elevate, exalt, glorify, celebrate; extol, laud, praise, Archaic, magnify; idealize, set or put on a pedestal, hero-worship, worship, idolize, adore, venerate, revere, bow down to. appall, v. 1. frighten, Archaic, affright, alarm, scare, intimidate; harrow, horrify, terrify, frighten out of one's wits, scare to death; shock, startle, astound, stun, stupefy, paralyze, petrify.
2. dismay, consternate, discourage, dishearten, deter; daunt, awe, overawe, unnerve, unman; abash, confound, disconcert, discomfit, put out, take aback.
3. disgust, sicken, revolt, nauseate, repel, make one sick, make one's stomach turn, Si. gross out. appalling, adj. 1. frightening, alarming, intimidating, harrowing, terrifying, horrifying; frightful, fearful, dreadful, awful, dire, terrible, horrible; horrid, hideous, ghastly, grisly; shocking, startling, astounding, stunning, stupefying, paralyzing, petrifying.
2. discouraging, disheartening, daunting, aweinspiring, unnerving, unmanning.
3. disgusting, sickening, revolting, repulsive, repelling; nauseating, loathsome, insufferable. apparatus, n. 1. equipment, instruments, tools, utensils, appurtenances; machinery, mechanism, machines, appliances, fixtures, plant; gear, stuff, tackle, outfit, paraphernalia.
2. system, organization; network, structure, hierarchy, chain of command.
3. contrivance, device, gadget, Inf. thingumbob or thingumabob, Inf. thingumajig, Inf. doohickey, Inf. gismo, Si. whatayacallit, Inf. whoosis, SI. whoosiwhatsis. apparel, n. 1. clothing, clothes, attire, wear, wearing apparel; raiment, garments, vestments, habiliments, Inf gear, Inf. toggery, Inf togs, Inf duds, SI. threads, SI. rags; wardrobe, array, accouterments; livery, uniform, regalia; investment, investiture, vesture.
2. decoration, adornment, ornamentation; cover, covering, outer covering; plumage, feathers; coat; pelt, hide.
3. dress, garb, costume, habit, masquerade, disguise; guise, appearance, aspect, look, style; outfit, trappings, Inf getup, Inf. rig, Inf turnout.
-v. 4. dress, clothe, garb, vest, attire, habit, SI. dude up, SI. swank up; array, bedizen, deck, deck out, deck up, bedeck; rig, rig up, rig out, trap, trap out, caparison; outfit, fit out, fit up, fit, gear, turn out, accouter.
5. adorn, ornament, decorate, trim, garnish, furbish, embellish, Archaic, dight, Archaic, ouch; prettify, beautify, fix up, prink, Inf titivate, Inf. spruce up, Inf. doll up, Inf. gussy up, Si. trick up, Si. dude up, SI. swank up, Si. fig out. apparent, adj. 1. visible, seeable, discernible, perceivable, perceptible; open, in full view, unconcealed, public, overt; exposed, showing, unhidden, uncovered, unveiled, unshrouded, uncurtained, naked, bare.
2. plain, clear, obvious, evident, Fr. en evidence, manifest, patent; distinct, in focus, lucid, plain as day, plain as the nose on one's face; conspicuous, noticeable, prominent, unmistakable; striking, blatant, obtrusive, flagrant, glaring, egregious.
3. ostensible, seeming, presumable, Archaic, sem-blable; outward, external, superficial; likely, probable; possible, conceivable, plausible, specious; quasi, as it were; self-declared, avowed, professed, pretended, alleged. apparently, adv. 1. visibly, discernibly, perceiv-ably, at a glance, to the eye, at first sight; openly, in full view, in plain sight, publicly, overtly.
More Synonyms ...