-v. 17. Usu.
line up range, align, straighten, bring into line, string out, bank; arrange, array, order, right, put or set in order; list, group, place, fix, dispose, distribute; space, regiment, marshal, rally.
line up secure, get, obtain, procure, acquire; get hold of, come up with, dig up, uncover; sign up, enlist, enroll, contract with; employ, engage, hire.
19. delineate, draw, trace, mark, mark out, Archaic. limn; define, depict, describe, demarcate, delimit; portray, figure, silhouette.
20. rule, score, hatch, underline, underscore; wrinkle, furrow, crease, rut, groove; scratch, scrape, chisel, engrave, cut, inscribe, etch; streak, striate.
line out outline, sketch, rough in, block in; draw up, lay out, draft, trace, chart; devise, plot, frame, make up, project.
22. skirt, hem, embroider, edge, border, rim, form a line along; bound, fringe, margin, marginate, marge; verge, side, adjoin.
line2, v. 1. interline, interlineate, panel, face, back, back up, wainscot, ceil; coat, sheathe, wrap; interlard, inlay, incrust, bush; upholster, paper, wallpaper.
2. cover, drape, curtain, blanket, mantle, cloak; lay over, overlay, spread over, overspread,
lineage, n. 1. ancestry, family tree, extraction, parentage, pedigree, bloodline, strain; descent, genealogy.
2. dynasty, house, family, race, people, tribe, clan; stirps, descendants, heritage, succession, progeny,
lineal, adj. in a direct line, linear; hereditary, family, racial; parental, patriarchal, matriarchal, ancestral,
lineament, n. line, feature, configuration, mark, distinguishing mark; form, contour, profile, cut; physiognomy, SI. phiz, visage; particularity, singularity, idiosyncrasy; aspect, delineation,
linear, adj. 1. aligned, alined, lineal; straight, direct, undeviating, unbent; one-dimensional, lengthwise, longitudinal.
2. lined, scored, etched, sketched; penned, calligraphic, inked, outlined,
linen, n. 1. cloth, fabric, material, textile, woven fabric, damask.
linens bedding, bed linens, bedclothes; sheets, pillowcases, pillowslips, pillow shams; towels, washcloths, facecloths, washrags; table linen, tablecloths, napkins,
liner', n. 1. ocean liner, ship, steamship, steamer, passenger vessel, boat, hydroplane; airplane, plane, aircraft, Aeronaut, airliner.
2. eyeliner, eye pencil, mascara, eye shadow.
liner2, n. 1. lining, facing, inner lining, interlining.
See - lining (def 1).
2. cover, album cover, cardboard cover, jacket,
linesman, n. sports official, umpire, Inf. ump, refer ee, Inf. ref, field judge, lineman,
line-up, n. 1. line, queue, row; list, schedule.
2. Sports, roster, list of players, batting order,
linger, v. 1. loiter, tarry, stay, wait, remain, SI. hang around, SI. stick around; continue, persist, stay on, endure, abide, persevere, hang on.
2. dawdle, delay, lag, procrastinate, put off, dally, shirk, SI. goof off.
3. loll, idle, Inf. lallygag, lounge, poke, Inf. diddle, dilly-dally; slouch, loaf, vegetate, waste time, fritter time away; mill around, trifle, potter, putter, play.
4. saunter, stroll, perambulate; amble, ramble, mosey; traipse, wander, meander, inch; shuffle, shamble, slouch; toddle, totter.
lingerie, n. underwear, undergarments, underclothing, underclothes, Inf undies; All Euph. dainties, things, unmentionables, nice things, finery, linen;
My Account / Test History
Note: For boys, the period between 14-17 approximately (slightly younger for girls) is called adolescence, i.e. you are an adolescent. In law you are an adult at the age of 18, but many people think of you as an adult when you leave school.
Childhood and adolescence
Sam (on the right) was born in Scotland but when he was two, his father got a new job in London and he grew up in the south of England He went to university at 18 where he ...
... where he met Anthea. He went out with her (= she was his girlfriend; he was her boyfriend) for three years, but towards the end they had lots of rows (= arguments) and they split up (= broke up / separated). In his mid twenties ...
... in his mid twenties he met Maureen. They fell in love and got married within six months.
A year later she got pregnant and they had their first child, a boy. As you can see, she is now expecting their second child (to be pregnant = to be expecting a baby). But sadly Sam met another woman and he left Maureen two months ago to live with the other woman.