fustian, n. 1. bombast, rant, grandiosity, rodomontade, pomposity, magniloquence, grandiloquence; tumidity, turgidity, flatulence, Archaic, tympany; extravagance, high-flown language, flowery speech, exaggerated language, overstatement, sesquipedality; bravado, braggadocio, bluster, gasconade; claptrap, prose run mad, words run amuck, purple passages; euphuism, affectation, overly ornate writing; periphrasis, circumlocution, jargon, bureaucratese, newspeak. 2. short-napped twill, stout cloth, coarse cotton goods.
-adj. 3. (of language) pompous, lofty, inflated, overstated, ostentatious, showy, pretentious; grandiose, sesquipedalian, extravagant, high-flown, exaggerated; affected, flowery, euphuistic.
4. worthless, cheap, low, unrefined, coarse, vulgar; unpolished, ill-mannered, loutish, cloddish, plebeian, inelegant, tasteless, common.
fusty, adj. 1. musty, moldy, mildewed, stale, stalesmelling, sour, rancid, rank; stuffy, close, oppressive, unventilated; smelly, strong-smelling, bad-smelling, malodorous, Rare, mucid; fetid, gamy, noisome, mephitic, stinky.
2. old-fashioned, out of fashion, out-of-date, outdated; antiquated, archaic, obsolete, obsolescent, anachronistic, passd; moth-eaten, faded, worn-out.
3. old-school, behind the times, conservative, fogy-ish, old-fogyish.
futile, adj. 1. useless, vain, unavailing, bootless, ineffective, inefficacious; fruitless, unproductive, barren, abortive, sterile, impotent; unprofitable, profitless, gainless; unsuccessful, Sl. no-go, to no purpose, for naught.
2. trivial, worthless, valueless, nugatory, good-for-nothing, not worth a straw; petty, insignificant, trifling, piddling, negligible, inconsequential, inessential; empty, hollow, idle, inane, vapid.
futility, n. 1. uselessness, bootlessness, ineffectiveness, nonsuccess, nonfulfillment, failure; fruitlessness, unproductiveness, abortiveness, barrenness, sterility, impotence; unprofitableness, carrying coals to Newcastle, carrying water in a sieve, cutting a whetstone with a razor, milking the ram, running around in circles.
2. trifle, frivolity, unimportance, insignificance, worthlessness, valuelessness, nugacity; nonsense, folly, inanity; emptiness, hollowness.
future, n. 1. coming time, time ahead, time to come; hereafter, afterworld, world to come; end of time, doomsday, Judgment Day; millennium, utopia; eventuality, the morrow, tomorrow, Sp. manana; Inf. down the road, Inf. down the pike.
2. prospect, outlook, offing; expectation, anticipation, probability, presumption, likelihood. -adj. 3. prospective, in the offing, coming, to come, anticipated, expected, probable, likely, yet unborn; pending, impending, imminent, overhanging; near at hand, close at hand, about to be, next,
fuzz, n. 1. lint, fluff, fluffy stuff, loose nap, down.