-n. 2. tributary, branch, affluent, feeder; channel, stream, rivulet, brook, rill, creek, run, Brit. Dial. gill.
conform, v. 1. (usu. fol. by to) comply, observe, obey, acknowledge, respect; adhere to, abide by, acquiesce in, submit to, yield to, consent to, agree to; concur, grant, accept; adapt to, adjust to, reconcile with; be conventional, be regular, be ordinary, run with the pack, swim with the stream, follow the crowd, follow the fashion, travel in a rut, do in Rome as the Romans do.
2. correspond, harmonize, tally, agree with, accord with; square, fit, suit, match.
3. adjust, adapt, accommodate; alter, modify, coordinate, assimilate, transmute; make conformable, bring into correspondence, reconcile, make similar, make harmonious; conventionalize.
conformable, adj. 1. corresponding, like, resembling, similar; harmonious, agreeable, congruous, congruent, consonant, consistent with; appropriate, suitable, fit, befitting, proper, meet.
2. compliant, acquiescent, submissive, yielding; malleable, ductile, flexible, pliant; adaptable, tractable, manageable, governable, biddable; capitulating, willing, complying, obliging, obeying; docile, meek, timid, passive, unassertive.
3. dutiful, duteous, law-abiding, rule-abiding, loyal, faithful, respectful; conventional, customary, traditional, orthodox; habitual, usual, standard, common, ordinary.
4. subservient, servile, obsequious, ingratiating, obei-sant, prostrate, Archaic, sequacious; truckling, bowing, scraping, fawning, cowering, cringing, crawling, toadying, toadyish, Inf. bootlicking; self-effacing, self-surrendering, self-abasing.
conformation, n. 1. structure, form, manner of formation, make; shape, figure, configuration.
2. symmetry, correspondence, regularity, proportionality; balance, poise, equilibrium; congruity, consonance, agreement; harmony, compatibility, accord, accordance, concord, concordance; coherence, consistency, uniformity, conformity.
3. conformity, adaptation, adjustment; preparation, suiting, accommodation, acclimatization, assimilation.
conformity, n. 1. correspondence, congruity, agreement, consonance, accord, accordance; concord, concordance, harmony, compatibility; likeness, similarity, similitude, resemblance, uniformity, homogeneity, unanimity; consistency, coherence; appropriateness, fitness, suitability.
2. compliance, obedience, morigeration, acquiescence, abidance; submission, subjection, yielding, surrender, capitulation; allegiance, observance, deference, respectfulness, dutifulness, faithfulness; conventionality, orthodoxy.
confound, v. 1. perplex, nonplus, puzzle, mystify, bewilder, baffle, pose; amaze, astound, astonish, startle, stun, daze, dumfound, strike dumb, stupefy, petrify, paralyze, surprise, take by surprise; confuse, disconcert, dismay, unsettle, rattle, bother, muddle, embarrass.
2. contradict, refute, confute, disprove; rebut, counter; quash, void, annul, invalidate, upset, set aside, put down, explode, silence, Inf. shut up.
3. mingle, mix, blend, intermingle, jumble, make indistinguishable; mistake one thing for another, confuse, mix up.
4. damn, curse, denounce, imprecate, execrate, maledict.
confounded, adj. (used euphemistically) damned, damnable, execrable, cursed, accursed, blasted, infernal, diabolical; abominable, odious, hateful, detestable, dreadful, wretched; extreme, excessive, all-fired, monstrous, enormous, huge,
confront, v. 1. oppose, stand opposed to, stand in the way of, thwart, cross, counter, contradict, resist; dispute, challenge, threaten, call into question, oppugn; defy, face in defiance, stand up to.