3. (all of wood) brittle, rigid, hard; crisp, breakable, frangible, fragile. brassy, adj. 1. brass, coppery, golden; metallic, metalline.
2. harsh, grating, jangling, jarring, dissonant; shrill, strident, piercing; loud, noisy, blaring, thundering, deafening; raucous, clamorous, boisterous, uproarious, cacophonous.
3. brazen, bold, brash, loud-mouthed, mouthy, shameless, barefaced; impudent, insolent, out of line, saucy, Inf. cheeky, Inf. fresh. brat, n. bantling, whelp, urchin, sprig, Inf. kid, child, youngster; cub, puppy, whippersnapper, jackanapes, imp, rascal, Inf. holy terror; chit, minx, hoyden. bravado, n. braggadocio, gasconade, swagger; bragging, boasting, blowing, crowing, vaunting, name-dropping; fanfaronade, bluster, SI. hot air, SI. gas; bombast, pomposity, rodomontade, grandiosity, grandiloquence, magniloquence. brave, adj. 1. courageous, valiant, valorous, heroic, heroical, hero-like, stout-hearted, lionhearted, iron-hearted, great-hearted; virile, manly, manful, gallant, chivalrous, chivalric; intrepid, fearless, dauntless, dreadless, aweless, nervy, SI. gutsy, unafraid, un-blenching, unblenched, undaunted, unalarmed, undismayed, unappalled; bold, bold-spirited, high-spirited, daring, dashing, adventurous; audacious, reckless, rash, foolhardy.
2. firm, resolute, resolved, determined, staunch, stanch, steadfast, stalwart, Archaic, stalworth, doughty, sturdy, hardy; indomitable, redoubtable, invincible, unconquerable, unyielding, unbending, unbowing, unshrinking, unfaltering, unhesitating, unswerving, unwavering, undeviating; mettlesome, plucky, gritty, game, red-blooded, spirited, Inf. spunky.
3. elegant, chic, smart, well-dressed, well-turned-out, dressed to kill, dressed to the teeth, dressed to the nines, SI. all duded-up, SI. all dressed up; natty, spruce, neat, sleek, trim; dapper, gay, rakish, jaunty, Scot. or North. Eng. braw; All Inf. posh, dressy, swank, swanky, ritzy; All SI. classy, snazzy, sharp, nifty, spiffy, nobby, swell.
4. showy, ostentatious, gaudy, glittery, glittering, flash or flashy, flashing, flaunting, exhibitionistic, show-offish, Inf. show-offy. -n. 5. soldier, warrior, fighter, fighting man, fearless or dauntless soldier, intrepid warrior, good soldier, man-of-arms, man-at-arms; lion, tiger, bulldog, gamecock, fighting cock; common soldier, cannon fodder, GI orG.I., GI Joe, U.S. Marine SI. leatherneck, Brit. Tommy, Scot. Jock, Fr. poilu, Obs. doughboy.
6. hero, heroine, champion, paladin, knight; stalwart, gallant, valiant, cavalier, chevalier, a man, brave man, man of courage or mettle.
-v. 7. meet, face, brook, weather, sustain, undergo, endure, bear, suffer, Inf. take, Inf. stick, Inf. hang tough, Inf. hang in there; tolerate, stomach, abide, Archaic, bide, stand, stand for, put up with, bear with, Inf. lump it.
8. challenge, dare, outdare, SI. double-dog-dare, defy, beard, brazen, outbrazen, look straight in the face or eye, throw down the gauntlet, show one's teeth, knock the chip off one's shoulder; confront, affront, front, encounter, oppose, stem, buffet, breast, stand up to or against, face up to, meet face to face, meet eyeball to eyeball, meet head-on, come face to face with, take the bull by the horns, bell the cat, Inf. bite the bullet, Inf. face the music. bravery, n. 1. courage, valor, valorousness, valiancy, valiance, heroism, prowess, stout-heartedness, lionheartedness or lion-heartedness, ironheartedness or iron-heartedness, great-heartedness or greatheartedness, high-heartedness; virility, manliness, manfulness, manhood, gallantry, chivalry, chivalrousness; intrepidity, intrepidness, fearlessness, dauntlessness, awe-lessness, dreadlessness; boldness, bold-spiritedness, high-spiritedness, daring, derring-do, audacity, audaciousness, rashness; dash, elan, panache, (usu. negative) bravado; assurance, self-assurance, self-reliance, confidence, pot-valor, pot-valiancy, pot-valiance.
More Synonyms ...