tautological, adj. pleonastic, battological, redundant; reiterative, repetitious, repetitive; wordy, verbose, prolix, long-winded, SI. gassy, SI. windy.
tautology, n. pleonasm, battology, redundancy; reiteration, repetition, repetitiousness, repetitiveness, wordiness, prolixity, verbosity, long-windedness, SI. windiness, SI. gassiness.
tavern, n. 1. bar, barroom, taproom, saloon, alehouse, Brit, public house, Brit, pub; bar and grill, grill, grill room, brasserie; cocktail lounge, bistro, cabaret, nightclub; All SI. beer-joint, gin mill, watering hole, dive, barrelhouse, honky-tonk, speakeasy, after-hours joint, U.S. Obs. blind tiger or pig.
2. inn, hostel, hostelry, hotel, motel, Fr. auberge, SI. flophouse; hospice, traveler's rest, roadhouse, caravansary.
tawdry, adj. meretricious, showy, flashy, SI. flash; gaudy, loud, garish, Inf. tacky, screaming; cheap, brummagem, tinsel, plastic, SI. rinky-dink.
tawny, adj. yellow-brown, yellowish-brown, brownish-yellow, khaki, fawn, fulvous, raw sienna; tan, light brown, ecru.
tax, n. 1. duty, impost, levy, payment, surtax, surcharge; tribute, contribution, capitation; tariff, charge, exaction, taxation, scot; excise, custom, Brit. cess, octroi; fee, dues, toll, rate, rating, assessment; poll tax, property tax, income tax, sales tax, tithe, tenth, Peter's pence.
2. charge, duty, burden, obligation, demand, responsibility; weight, onus, Archaic, bale, strain; encumbrance, imposition, exertion.
-v. 3. levy, toll, charge, excise, subject to duty; assess, rate, appraise; impose, lay on, put on, fix, inflict; exact, demand, require; wring, squeeze, wrest, pinch.
4. burden, charge, weigh down, load, saddle; encumber, cumber, task, strain; overload, overburden, overtask, overtax; overwork, overdo, wear out, exhaust, fag, push too far; fatigue, tire, weary, prostrate, knock out; wind, whack, jade; oppress, drive, push, flog, whip; grind, crush, trample.
5. censure, reprove, rebuke, asperse, declaim against; decry, reprehend, disparage, contemn; accuse, charge, indict, arraign, impeach; impute, ascribe, cite, blame.
taxable, adj. subject to tax, dutiable, leviable tith-able, exactable, assessable, Brit, ratable.
taxicab, n. taxi, cab, hackney, Inf. hack, Trademark. Checker, Trademark. Yellow Cab; carriage or coach for hire, fiacre, hansom or hansom cab, Brit. fly; (both in Japan, the Philippines) jinrikisha, rickshaw.
teach, v. 1. instruct, tutor, school, educate, inform, enlighten, edify; question, catechize, drill, beat into, cram; indoctrinate, inculcate, instill, infuse; train, coach, initiate, ground, prepare, ready; counsel, advise, guide, preach, lecture, moralize, sermonize; admonish, reprimand, warn.
2. explain, illustrate, clarify, clear up, elucidate, spell out; interpret, explicate, annotate, gloss; expound, propound, hold forth; indicate, show, show how, demonstrate; describe, point out, tell; acquaint with, familiarize with, introduce to, apprise of.
3. propagate, dissenminate, spread, propagandize; promulgate, make known, broadcast, announce, publish.
teachable, adj. 1. docile, trainable, tractable, manageable, pliable; obedient, compliant, conformable;