11. hardest, utmost, Inf darndest, Inf. damnedest.
12. regards, kindest regards, best or good wishes, greetings, love, SI. the big hello.
13. get or
have the best of a. benefit, win, Inf. come out ahead; have the upper hand or edge, Inf. hold the trump card.
b. defeat, subdue, overpower, master, gain ascendancy or supremacy over, conquer.
14. make the best of manage, put up with, tolerate, make do, get by.
-v. 15. defeat, beat, conquer, get the better of.
See def. 13b.
bestial, adj. 1. theroid, animalic, animalian, beastly, beastlike, therimorphic.
2. primitive, wild, barbaric, barbarian, barbarous, heathen; savage, fierce, brutal, inhuman; rough, rugged, coarse, bearish, brutish; boorish, churlish, loutish, oafish; swinish, boarish, piggish, hoggish, gluttonous, greedy; unclean, dirty, filthy, smutty, SI. raunchy, gross, obscene.
3. base, low, mean, sordid, bad; execrable, abominable, horrible, horrid, atrocious; vile, abhorrent, repulsive, loathsome, odious, hateful, detestable, offensive.
4. carnal, sensual, animalistic, lustful, libidinous, salacious; lascivious, licentious, lecherous, lewd, Archaic. lickerish, prurient; immoral, dissolute, profligate, unchaste, wanton, crude, debauched, debased, dissipated, degenerate.
bestir, v. 1. stir, move, bustle, hurry, scurry, hasten, hustle, scramble, scurry, scuttle, exert oneself, Inf. get going or moving, get started; elicit, evoke, call forth, summon up; poke, prod, prick, goad, prompt, spur, work up, whip up; encourage, urge, egg on, press, drive; foment, agitate, excite, Inf. start something.
2. actuate, put in motion, start the wheels turning; stimulate, animate, motivate, inspire, vivify; liven up, arouse, awaken, wake up, waken, rouse, shake up, jolt, jog.
bestow, v. 1. give, donate, present; assign, consign, impart, bequeath, render to, endow; award, confer, grant, favor, afford, vouchsafe; hand, pass, deliver, turn over to, yield, cede, commit, entrust; dispense, distribute, deal out, apportion, allot, divide.
2. apply, use, utilize, employ, dispense, dispose of, administer, adhibit; spend, expend, direct, devote, put to advantage or profit,
bestrew, v. scatter, disperse, strew, cast about, spread, broadcast, sow, impart, disseminate; diffuse, radiate, emanate, circumfuse.
bestride, v. 1. straddle, bestraddle, ride or sit or
stand astride of.
2. overstride, step over, pass over, cross, traverse.
3. stand over, tower over, arch over, rise above, overtop; command, dominate, overshadow; Inf. rule the roost.
bet, v. 1. stake, put up collateral, put money on;
cover, back up, pledge.
2. wager, gamble, lay a wager, Brit, punt; play the lottery, enter the sweepstakes, play the game, dice, shoot craps, play poker; take a chance, run a risk, take a long shot, stick one's neck out, Inf. risk it, Inf chance it; risk, hazard, jeopardize.
-n. 3. stake, collateral, security, surety, guaranty, pledge.
4. wager, gamble, chance, risk, long shot, SI. shot in the dark.
5. lottery, sweepstakes, raffle; game of chance, fall of the dice, game of fortune or luck.
6. speculation, possibility, likelihood, uncertainty, pig in a poke, Inf flier, hazard, risk; even odds, even chance, Inf. fifty-fifty chance, Inf toss up, Inf six of one and a half dozen of the other; venture, undertaking, enterprise, business.