5. dissolute, licentious, libertine, lascivious, debauched, wasted; wanton, wild, unbridled, profligate, abandoned, promiscuous, of easy virtue or morals; coarse, gross, crude; degenerate, depraved, corrupt, perverted; wicked, immoral, sinful, peccant, vice-ridden; unregenerate, unredeemable, unprincipled; shameful, disgraceful.
6. hanging, drooping, droopy, bagging, baggy, sagging, saggy, flapping, Inf. floppy; limp, flabby, soft, flaccid, rubbery.
laxative, n. cathartic, purgative, aperient, physic, ipecac, castor oil, ricinus oil, salts, dose of salts; purgation, purge, dose, Med. catharsis,
laxity, n. 1. looseness, slackness, laxness, carelessness, heedlessness, mindlessness, inattention, unmindfulness, absent-mindedness; neglect, negligence, dereliction, remissness; unrigorousness, noninterference, laissez faire, nonrestriction; nonobservance, unwariness, obliviousness, disregard, turning one's head; oversight, overlooking, lapse, failure, default, omission, nonfeasance, Law. laches.
2. inexactness, inaccuracy, inexactitude, unpreciseness, imprecision; slovenliness, Inf. sloppiness; vagueness, indefiniteness, broadness, generality, amorphousness, shapelessness, SI. blobbiness; inchoateness, disorder.
3. relaxedness, nonchalance, casualness, ataraxia; listlessnesss, lack of concern, sloth, acedia, indolence, laziness, lethargy, languidness, languor; indifference, perfunctoriness, insipidity, vapidity; unconcern, disinterest, disregard, insolicitude, unanxiousness, poco-curantism.
4. gentleness, easiness, lenience, leniency, mildness; unstrictness, permissiveness, overpermissiveness, overindulgence, softness, weakness; relaxation, flexibility, pliancy, tolerance, allowance; humoring, pampering, coddling, giving in, catering to.
5. freedom, release, letting go, license, indulgence, unrestraint, abandon; loose morals, easy virtue, immorality, promiscuity, improbity, indecency.
6. flaccidity, flaccidness, flabbiness, limpness, rub-beriness, floppiness, laxation, yield, Inf. give, plasticity, nonrigidity.
lay1, v. 1. put, place, set, rest, Inf. stick, leave, park, plant; set down, seat, settle; incline, lean.
2. drop, floor, lay low, prostrate; fell, knock or cut or strike down, sink.
3. lodge, submit, present, prefer, bring forward.
4. repose, impute, lay to; attribute, assign, ascribe, designate, insinuate.
5. bet, wager, give odds, gamble; chance, hazard, risk; plunge, play; deposit, put down, stake.
6. impose, apply, inflict; enjoin, prescribe; demand, exact, order.
7. posit, station, locate, site, situate; pitch, camp; establish, set up.
8. cover, spread, overspread, overlay; finish, veneer, varnish.
9. devise, arrange, plan, contrive, make; prepare, work up, plot, schematize.
10 level, flatten, smooth, even, plane.
11. allay, relieve, assuage, ease; alleviate, mitigate, palliate, soften, soothe, salve; calm, still, quiet.
12. aim, direct, train, point, sight, angle.
13. Slang, copulate, couple, mate, have sex, have
sexual relations, have intercourse; sleep with, lie with, go to bed with, SI. get in the hay with, SI. shack up with, Euph. go all the way with.
lay about one a. lay into, SI. light into, strike out, flail, Inf. slug, sock, Sl. give the one-two, Sl. windmill; take the offensive, attack, assault, assail; attack tooth and nail, harry, harass; set upon, beset, beleaguer, besiege, storm,
b. proceed, set out, Inf get a move on, stir, scramble, bestir oneself; move, Inf mogate, start, push on or ahead; go at it, plug away, carry on, keep the ball rolling, keep going, keep busy, fall to with a will.