9. in private privately, secretly, behind closed doors, off-camera. See - privately.
privateer, n. 1. armed ship, pirate ship, pirate, sea rover, corsair.
2. (all hired or mercenary) pirate, viking, corsair, buccaneer, freebooter, rapparee; raider, plunderer, marauder, depredator, vandal, looter, rifler.
-v. 3. buccaneer, freeboot, pirate, filibuster, waylay; commandeer, hijack.
privately, adv. 1. in private, alone, individually, personally, separately, exclusively; confidentially, off-the-record, unofficially; secretly, sub rosa, behind closed doors, off-camera, out of public view, behind the scenes; secludedly, seclusively, in solitude, in retirement, hermitically.
2. secretively, mysteriously, clandestinely, covertly, furtively, surreptitiously; slyly, on the sly, stealthily, sneakily, sneakingly, underhandedly, under the table, through the back door.
privation, n. deprivation, want, need, lack; loss, bereavement, hardship, distress, suffering; difficulty, predicament, plight, strait; seizure, confiscation, forfeiture, divestiture, disinheritance, dispossession; poverty, destitution, beggary, pauperism, indigence, mendicancy, mendicity, neediness, necessity.
privilege, n. 1. right, prerogative, due, entitlement, birthright; benefit, advantage, authorization, permission, leave, consent, sanction, warrant, allowance; license, power, franchise; liberty, freedom, choice, blanket permission, carte blanche; immunity, exemption, exception, dispensation, indulgence, concession. -v. 2. exempt, free from, excuse, release; except, make an exception, exclude; (all in reference to something otherwise forbidden) authorize, empower, license, permit, allow.
privileged, adj. 1. favored, entitled, advantaged, unaccountable, not liable; exempt, exempted, immune, excused, released, excepted, granted dispensation; indulged, suffered, accommodated, protected, sheltered, Inf. spoiled.
2. allowed, granted, admitted, permitted, free, licensed, enfranchised, chartered, accredited; authorized, empowered, sanctioned, commissioned, charged, entrusted, invested, vested.
3. (of information) confidential, off-the-record, not for publication, privy, inside, top-secret, Inf. eyes-only. See - privy (def. 3).
privy, adj. 1.
privy to informed of, apprised of, cognizant of, aware of, in on; Inf. in the know, Inf. wise to, Inf. hep to, Inf. on to.
2. private, personal, own, close, intimate; individual, particular, singular, peculiar, special, especial; reserved, limited, exclusive, restricted; not open to the public, off-limits, unaccessible, inaccessible, closed.
3. confidential, strictly confidential, off-the-record, not to be quoted, not for release, not to be disclosed, top-secret, Inf. hush-hush, Inf. eyes-only.
-n. 4. outdoor toilet, outhouse, Chiefly Dial. jakes, stool, closet, cloaca, Chiefly New Eng. necessary, Brit. SI. bogs, latrine, SI. one or two-holer, Euph. throne; portable toilet, Trademark. Johnny-On-The-Spot, Trademark. All American Kan, Trademark. Port-o-Let, Trademark. Port-o-San, Trademark. Here's Johnny.
prize1, n. 1. award, trophy, medal, medallion, decoration, blue ribbon, ribbon, riband, citation; honor, laurels, wreath, palm, bay or bays, garland, plume, crown; cup, loving cup; mention, honorable mention, consolation prize, booby prize; reward, Literary, guerdon, recompense, remuneration, premium; bestowal, endowment, grant, scholarship, fellowship; distinction, glory, honors, high honors; mark or badge of distinction, token, favor, Inf. plum, Inf. feather in one's cap; kudos, accolade, tribute.