backchat; witty reply, quip, bon mot, mot; answer, reply, response, replication, acknowledgment.
2. retaliation, reciprocation, like for like; countermeasure, counterstroke, counterblow, counterattack, -v. 3. retort, rejoin, return, come back, flash back, Inf. crack back, Inf. shoot back; answer, reply, respond, acknowledge.
4. retaliate, reciprocate, reply in kind, return the compliment, give tit for tat, give like for like, give measure for measure, give a quid pro quo; pay [s.o.] in his own coin, Inf. give [s.o.] a dose or taste of his own medicine. ripple, v. 1. wave, undulate, purl, ruffle; trill, lap, swash, wash, slap, splash, swish; gurgle, guggle, babble, burble, murmur.
2. ruffle, curl, rumple, crumple, dimple, crinkle; crimp, fret, crisp; fold, ruff, wrinkle, cockle, twill, crease.
-n. 3. wave, undulation, wavelet, ruffling, riffle, ripplet, rimple; swish, splash, trill, purl, trickle, Naut. cat's-paw; babble, burble, gurgle, lap. rise, v. 1. get up, arise, levitate, ascend, uprise; get on one's feet, leap up, jump up, spring up, bolt up; clamber up, climb up, scale, go up, Inf. shin up, Inf. shinny up, Inf. shimmy up; scramble up, scrabble up, work one's way up, escalade, surmount; upgo, upsurge, upswarm, upheave, upswing.
2. awaken, get up, waken, wake up, get out of bed, Inf. rise and shine; greet the day, Inf. roll out, Inf. turn out, Si. hit the deck; Si. up and at 'em.
3. ascend, move upward, mount, climb; soar, zoom, take off, leave the ground; rocket, skyrocket, jet; kite, float, glide, plane, hang, hover; tower, spire, spiral, rear, stand.
4. slant upward, tilt upward, slope, grade, tip; uprise, go uphill, climb; advance, elevate, heighten, step up, go upstairs; boost, lift, raise, erect.
5. escalate, step up, go up, pick up; skyrocket, Inf. sky, loft, go out of sight.
6. spring up, grow, shoot up, sprout; blossom, bud, flower, bloom, burgeon.
7. increase, enlarge, spread, widen, broaden; bloat, swell, wax, balloon, grow, distend; multiply, proliferate, pullulate, boom, breed; intensify, magnify, aggrandize; strengthen, gain strength, steepen; snowball, crescendo, mushroom; accrue, accumulate, add.
8. progress, improve, better; get ahead, make headway, forward; succeed, turn out well, batten, boom; thrive, prosper, bloom, flower; make good, Inf. make it, go far, work one's way up, make one's way, Inf. get ahead, climb the ladder of success, come out on top; cut a swath, make a breakthrough, set the world on fire, arrive, make the scene.
9. stiffen, horripilate, bristle, stand on end; prickle, stick up, cock up, start up.
10. revolt, rebel, insurrectionize, upheave, overthrow, mutiny, subvert; resist, take up arms, defy, break forth; wage war, strike, take the law into one's hands, mount the barricades; disobey, fly in the face of, refuse, kick over the traces.
11. protrude, project, protuberate, stick out; swell, bulge, blister, nodulate; jut, beetle, hang out, hang over, overhang; impend, extend.
12. occur, happen, take place, come up; come, go, pass, come off, come about, come to pass; crop up, eventuate, ensue, take effect; befall, betide, Archaic. bechance.
13. originate, begin, commence, start, be born; issue, proceed, arise, spring from, head; emanate, flow from, come from, exsurge, take rise; break out, erupt, spring up; dawn, usher in, set in, open, initiate, inaugurate; grow out of, come forth, ensue from, stem from, sprout from, come out of, follow from.