cancel, v. 1. void, avoid, declare null and void, render null and void, nullify, disannul, annul, quash, invalidate, vitiate, vacate, disenact, disestablish; set aside, call off, supersede, discharge; cease, Law. nol-pros, stop, discontinue, break off; countermand, counterorder, override, overrule; veto, negate.
2. revoke, rescind, abrogate, reverse, repeal, abolish; recant, retract, withdraw, take back, recall; renounce, relinquish, repudiate, abjure, forswear, abnegate; disavow, disclaim, disown, deny; unsay, go back on one's word, eat one's words, back-pedal, renege; tergiversate, apostatize, defect, change one's mind.
3. delete, Print, dele, blue-pencil, x out, cross out, strike out, scratch out, mark off; blot out, rub out, crush out, wipe out, erase, efface; expunge, eradicate, obliterate.
4. neutralize, nullify, expiate, compensate for, make up for, offset; counterbalance, counterpoise, counteract, countervail.
5. write off, absolve, clear, wipe the slate clean, eliminate.
cancellation, n. 1. voidance, avoidance, cancel, disannulment, annulment, nullification, Law. defeasance; quashing, invalidation, vitiation, Obs. vacatur, disenactment, disestablishment, setting aside; cessation, Law. nolle prosequi, discontinuance, suspension; countermand, counterorder, overriding, overruling; veto, negation.
2. revocation, rescinding, rescindment, rescission, abrogation, reversal, repeal, abolishment, abolition; recantation, retraction, retractation, withdrawal, recall; renouncement, renunciation, relinquishment, repudiation, abjuration, abnegation; disavowal, disclaimer, disclamation, denial; apostasy, tergiversation, defection, change of mind.
3. deletion, Print, dele, crossing out, striking out, scratching out, marking off; blotting out, rubbing out, crushing out, wiping out, erasing, erasion, effacing; expunging, eradication, obliteration.
4. neutralization, nullification, expiation; counterbalance, counterpoise, counteraction.
cancer, n. 1. tumor, malignancy, malignant growth, Pathol, carcinoma, Pathol, sarcoma, Pathol. metastasis.
2. evil, curse, calamity, trouble, tribulation, torment; blight, disease, sickness, illness, affliction; scourge, plague, pestilence, bane, infestation; corruption, rottenness, rot, foulness, pollution, putrefaction.
candid, adj. 1. frank, forthright, direct, straightforward, straight-from-the-shouder, foursquare, man-to-man, heart-to-heart; plain, plain-spoken, plainspeaking, downright, outright, explicit, unequivocal, unambiguous, undisguised, Inf. flat-footed; outspoken, free, free-spoken, free-speaking, unreticent, bold, unreserved, unrestrained, unconstrained, unchecked, unabashed, uninhibited, unshrinking; blunt, bluff, brusque, tactless.
2. open, open and sincere, open-hearted, genuine, transparent; guileless, ingenuous, sincere, artless, naive, simple, undeceptive, undeceitful, undeceiving, undissembling; aboveboard, open and aboveboard, up front, on the level, on the up and up.
3. informal, unposed, uncontrived, undesigned, unstudied; spontaneous, unpremeditated, uncalculated, undeliberated; extemporaneous, extemporary, impromptu, improvised, improvisational, unrehearsed, unprepared, ad-lib, Inf. off the top of one's head, Inf. off the cuff.