4. frugality, frugalness, thrift, thriftiness; husbandry, careful management, conservation; conserving, saving, economizing, economy; sparingness, scrimping, penny-pinching; parsimony, parsimoniousness, penuriousness, niggardliness, stinginess, miserliness, cheapness.
abstinent, adj. abstemious, temperate, sparing. See - abstemious (defs
abstract, adj. 1. theoretical, pure, unapplied; conceptual, ideational, notional, abstracted, metaphysical; ideal, transcendental, imaginary, visionary, immaterial, impractical, spiritual, intellectual, (of art) non-representational; general, non-particular, not concrete, indefinite.
2. difficult, abstruse, obscure, recondite, profound; enigmatical, mysterious, dark, hidden, remote, incomprehensible; subtle, refined, attenuated, rarefied.
-n. 3. summary, epitome, synopsis, compendium, symposium, compilation, digest, conspectus; condensation, abridgement, reduction, compression, abbreviation; analysis, recapitulation; resume, brief, precis; outline, Fr. aperqu, sketch, review, syllabus, prospectus; docket, bulletin, minute; extracts, fragments, cuttings, analects, clippings, citations.
4. essence, quintessence, pith, heart, core, kernel, marrow, substance; generality, universality; main, common run, average.
-v. 5. remove, take away, draw away, detach, separate, disunite, dissociate, disjoin.
6. isolate, prescind, consider by itself; take out of context, view partially, look at one-sidedly; distinguish, discriminate, deduct, analyze.
7. divert, distract, engross, preoccupy.
8. steal, rob, appropriate, take away, seize, purloin, embezzle, plagiarize.
9. summarize, outline, epitomize, synopsize; abridge, abbreviate, shorten, condense, contract, compress, prune, curtail, cut down.
abstracted, adj. 1. pensive, thoughtful, thinking, cerebrational, lost in thought, bemused; intent, concentrating, focusing; cogitative, cogitating, deliberative, deliberating, meditative, meditating, contemplative, contemplating, reflective, reflecting; musing, pondering, wondering about, Archaic, museful; ruminative, ruminant, ruminating, chewing, chewing one's cud, brooding, mulling over, in a brown study.
2. preoccupied, rapt, absorbed, immersed, engrossed, lost in, consumed, wrapped up, occupied, busy; oblivious, unaware, unconscious, unmindful, insensible, blind; distracted, diverted, distrait, inattentive, unat-tentive, inadvertent, deaf.
3. absent-minded, dreaming, dreamful, dreamy, napping, sleeping, asleep; daydreaming, stargazing, gazing out the window, in the clouds, in a trance; absent, withdrawn, remote, removed, distant, faraway, wandering, Si. not at home, SI. out to lunch, SI. out of it.
abstraction, n. 1. generality, concept, conception, idea, notion, presumption, supposition, hypothesis, theory; quixoticism, visionary notion, impractical notion, vague representation, daydream, pipe dream.
2. disconnection, isolation, disjunction, partial consideration, taking from context; withdrawal, separation, removal.
3. absent-mindedness, inattention, engrossment, preoccupation, inattentiveness, distraction, absorption; brown study, musing, pensiveness, thoughtfulness, raptness, reverie; aloofness, self-communing.